The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DOHC EVO HEAD

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

DOHC EVO HEAD

Just wanted to give everyone some eye candy. This is the EVO VIII head that I will be using to do my DOHC swap, its brand new, with only 3 miles on it. Poor wrecked EVO = great deal for me ! There are 2 pics in the Galant Forums gallery, here is a link to one. Notice cam gear x 2 !

P.S. Gotta be a member of GF to see it, so sign up its free !

http://www.galantforums.com/phpBB2/album_s...full=&pic_id=50
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

escoson
    nice, what model galant is that goin on?

8ggalant
    8g im sure

Dark7GHawk
    Damn, I like the cam gears, I gotta get some for my car and make em look better. I think that one day I will cut back part of the cover so you can see my DOHC cam gears.

UncleMeat
    lol now on to some useful comments and questions

have you test fit yet?

where there any coolant paths in the block that need to be blocked?

have you test fit a timing belt yet? an evo8 uses the same timing belt as a dsm, so you might wanna get ahold of a 1994 galant gs timing belt (if they are differnet)

and i cant see the pictures but just to be on the safe side, id get adjustable cam gears

what ecu are you gunna use? are you gunna keep using the galant ecu? or switch to an evo ecu?

if you are staying with the galant ecu, do you know if the cam angle sensor and crank angle sensor read the same? can you just plug it right in?

if you are gunna use the evo ecu, is there a spot in the block to screw in a knock sensor? *id look in mine but its in a different city at the moment*

did you get an evo8 intake manifold? or are you using the galant intake manifold?

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UncleMeat)</div><div class='quotemain'>lol now on to some useful comments and questions

have you test fit yet?

where there any coolant paths in the block that need to be blocked?

have you test fit a timing belt yet? an evo8 uses the same timing belt as a dsm, so you might wanna get ahold of a 1994 galant gs timing belt (if they are differnet)

and i cant see the pictures but just to be on the safe side, id get adjustable cam gears

what ecu are you gunna use? are you gunna keep using the galant ecu? or switch to an evo ecu?

if you are staying with the galant ecu, do you know if the cam angle sensor and crank angle sensor read the same? can you just plug it right in?

if you are gunna use the evo ecu, is there a spot in the block to screw in a knock sensor? *id look in mine but its in a different city at the moment*

did you get an evo8 intake manifold? or are you using the galant intake manifold?</div>

Now these are some mighty fine questions you have up here Capone..lol..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Faction
    has anyone successfully completed this?

UncleMeat
    not yet, but i heard he test fit and it fit successfully with the minor adjustment of filling coolant jackets, very similar to the 7g head swap

now the fun part, timing, if he uses adjustable cam gears and gets the right belt, hes golden, but he might try to use stock parts and wing it, there is a combination that will work, but i dunno if hes gunna want to try it

i would just try the similar setup that the dsm guys used for timing

mjc1055
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faction)</div><div class='quotemain'>has anyone successfully completed this?</div>

i'm pretty sure he's the first.

UncleMeat
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjc1055)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faction)</div><div class='quotemain'>has anyone successfully completed this?</div>

i'm pretty sure he's the first.</div>

far from it

noticed the words "successfully" and "COMPLETED"

Well let me start from the top and answer as many questions as I can. Well Clay im gonna start off with your questions in order.

1. test fit was done last week, looks pretty good, almost identical to swapping a 2g 63' onto a 7g 64'.

2. there are at least 3 oil drains that gotta get blocked, possibly more, worse comes to worse I can somehow run external drain lines if there isnt enough drainage with them blocked off, so thats no big deal.

3. I haven't test fit a timing belt...yet. My local DSM shop is supposed to be gettin a few different ones for me so we can compare and figure out how this is gonna work.

4. Im gonna get some adjustable cam gears and prolly the HKS street cams I believe they are 264's.

5. As far as the ECU I am not brave enough to start tapping hundred of wires so I am either gonna run standalone, or run the EVO ECU with the Greddy E- management. Still not sure.

6. Havent checked on the knock sensor yet, all the local 2g eclipse's running 64' blocks just added a hole for the knock sensor so im pretty sure im gonna have to do the same thing.

7. I was looking into the intake manifold and im still unsure of whats going on. I dont want to use the stock EVO manifold, but I might have to unless Magnus Motorsports releases their sheet metal intake mani for the EVO 8 soon !!!!

Hey Clay, I was comparing my head to a 2g DSM and the intake side is much different. On your EVO motor, do the fuel injectors sit the same way they do on a 2g DSM or is it different ? On my friends GSX his injectors sit after the intake mani and from the pics i've seen on the EVO8 it looks almost as if they sit inside the intake mani, i could use some info on this so let me know. thanks.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

UncleMeat
    they sit a lil different

if you have the money go standalone, my evo motor is getting a microtec standalone now, dropping the automatic bullshit...thats something else you are gunna have to do, unless you wanna try to make an earier galant tcu work with the standalone

the evo ecu would work fine, i know the earlier mitsu motors came with a spot for the knock sensor, it was just blocked you could go stock evo ecu if you wanted and just screw a knock sensor in

the hks mild grind cams are the 264s same ones im testing on my gvr4, its a good choice for what im going for, they are about the same as stock off boost, but gain top end

the 272s are worse than stock off boost but will give you more power over 5000rpm, depends what turbo you are gunna go with, and how extensive you are going inside the head

i think with the adjustable cam gears, a dsm or galant gs timing belt will work, (they might be the same, but i think they are slightly diff)
    there is most likely a stock combination that will work and im guessing it might be the same as the dsm setup

sounds like you are on the right track tho, keep the info coming

UncleMeat
    and if you are thinking asking about the injectors cuz you just wanna flip a 2g magnus intake around and use it, i wouldnt...unless that shop of yours has one hangin around that you can test fit

send me a close up picture of the intake side of the head, ill tell you more

mjc1055
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UncleMeat)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjc1055)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faction)</div><div class='quotemain'>has anyone successfully completed this?</div>

i'm pretty sure he's the first.</div>

far from it

noticed the words "successfully" and "COMPLETED"</div>

:oops: :oops: lol, oops... well, what i meant to say was i think he's the first to attempt it. you did an entire engine swap, right? i remember reading about it

UncleMeat
    affirmative

Yeah Clay I was gonna try and use the DSM intake mani, I dont think its gonna work though cuz of the injector location and my intake ports are oval with a little "U" shaped notch on top and the DSMs are just oval. I meant to ask you before, what kinda ignition should I get, I have access to the stock EVO ignition, but do you recommend any aftermarket ignition ? Im currently in the process of gettin axles made, cuz the eclipse axles are gonna break...fast.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

UncleMeat
    i woulda just used the eclipse axles untill they broke but if you got the money, why not

id use the stock ignition, its been workin fine

Hey Clay I need your help on some wiring issues. Im gonna use the AEM EMS for the motor with the EVO head, im gonna be doing the tranny swap first, so im gonna re-pin the galant wiring for the Manual eclipse ECU, thats easy. Now the problem is this, since the EMS uses factory sensor, in order for it to work, would I need to use the EVO wiring harness and tap that into the Galant wiring harness so I can use the AEM EMS for teh EVO....OR should I try using the AEM EMS for the Eclipse RS/GS manual? I know using the EMS for the Eclipse would be much easier, but what about sensors ??? What sensors am I gonna need to add to the EVO head that the galant/eclipse head didnt have. I know I gotta do a knock sensor, but what else do I gotta add ? I've been sitting in front of wiring diagrams all nite long. Do you have any galant or eclipse diagrams, maybe I can use them. Thanks man.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

any updates???

UncleMeat
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Clay I need your help on some wiring issues. Im gonna use the AEM EMS for the motor with the EVO head, im gonna be doing the tranny swap first, so im gonna re-pin the galant wiring for the Manual eclipse ECU, thats easy. Now the problem is this, since the EMS uses factory sensor, in order for it to work, would I need to use the EVO wiring harness and tap that into the Galant wiring harness so I can use the AEM EMS for teh EVO....OR should I try using the AEM EMS for the Eclipse RS/GS manual? I know using the EMS for the Eclipse would be much easier, but what about sensors ??? What sensors am I gonna need to add to the EVO head that the galant/eclipse head didnt have. I know I gotta do a knock sensor, but what else do I gotta add ? I've been sitting in front of wiring diagrams all nite long. Do you have any galant or eclipse diagrams, maybe I can use them. Thanks man.</div>

the microtech comes with a universal harness and you make your own, that way you know you wont be wrong

i would use the evo harness with the evo base ems, if they make one
    if you wanna go eclipse, get the manual harness hook it up

i have the diagrams, hit me on AIM for it, GroceryGettinVR4