The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Should I consider Cam Sprockets for my 99 Galant?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Should I consider Cam Sprockets for my 99 Galant?

I will be hitting 60k miles in about 3 months and I was thinking about changing my Timing Belts.
    It also dawned on me that if the engine needs to be lifted, and the cam sprockets are exposed, why not just change them out, right?
    Anyway, I just wanted to know if this is a good idea or should I just save the money for some nice rims.

BTW the car has no mods as of yet.
    [b]<span style='color:#800000'>1999 Galant ES Barcelona Red Pearl w/leather</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>Brembo Rotors - dimpled and slotted rotors with
    Axxis pads</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>GDI Imports Reverse Indiglow EL Gauges</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>Rosin CD/DVD Head Unit with 7" Motorized LCD</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>2 SoundStream Amps for a total of 1800 watts of power</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>6 Kicker component speakers, and 1-12" Kicker Solo Baric L5</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>1Ghz PIII AutoPC to manage my MP3 playback</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>Still thinking on what's next</span>

You can check out the pics at
    http://photos.yahoo.com/nene1120
    Last update :2/2003

You're not going to see much of a performance gain by changing your cam gear unless you replace the cam as well.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

My car only has one cam Shaft right?
    [b]<span style='color:#800000'>1999 Galant ES Barcelona Red Pearl w/leather</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>Brembo Rotors - dimpled and slotted rotors with
    Axxis pads</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>GDI Imports Reverse Indiglow EL Gauges</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>Rosin CD/DVD Head Unit with 7" Motorized LCD</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>2 SoundStream Amps for a total of 1800 watts of power</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>6 Kicker component speakers, and 1-12" Kicker Solo Baric L5</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>1Ghz PIII AutoPC to manage my MP3 playback</span>

<span style='color:#800000'>Still thinking on what's next</span>

You can check out the pics at
    http://photos.yahoo.com/nene1120
    Last update :2/2003

Yep. The 4g64 and the 6g72 are SOHC power plants
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Senior TGC Member
    I think the V6 has 2 cams right?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think the V6 has 2 cams right?</div>

nope. just one. SOHC stands for Single Over Head Cam

with an aftermarket cam gear besides being pretty, is adjustable. and to see any gains if any, you will have to put your car on a dyno and get the cam gear tuned to your car. you can leave it @ the oem setting but then you won't see any of that fractional power gain

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

2 cams one per head SOHC mean one cam per head. DOHC means two cams per head one intake one exhaust.

Wes
    Another fine post brought to you By:
    The Man™
    Search the boards first please!

Senior TGC Member
    I'm so confused now...Vision tells me that I'd need to buy 2 camshafts for my V6 and then I read this...I'm turning to mush.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

V6 requires two camshafts period. No maybes Look in the service manuals.

Wes
    The Man™

Senior TGC Member
    Ahhhhh ok ok lemme see if I got this...the reason why the V6 needs 2 camshafts is because of its V shape design, thus 2 heads, and being SOHC it therefore requires 2 camshafts, whereas a V6 DOHC would need 4 because it has 2 cams per head...

Thats it! One camshaft per head in a Single overhead cam setup. This camshaft drives the intake and exhaust valves. In a DOHC setup you have two camshafts per head one drives intake one drives exhaust and can be tuned seprately thats why people like DOHC setups more. non overhead cam engines aka inblock cams drive all valves for all heads with a pushrod setup into the block.

Wes
    The Man™

Gilhuly
    OK, now that that's settled - does it make any sense to have Cams, gears replaced on the V6 at the timing belt replacement? Are there any efficiencies from a labor standpoint?

toc8g
    But remember the I-4 only really has one cam shaft,..not two like the V6.

Senior TGC Member
    I would say yes, do it at that time since you're taking things apart anyway...