The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: "Manual" shifting with an automatic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24
    Senior TGC Member

"Manual" shifting with an automatic

What makes this more stressful on the tranny than letting it shift on its own in D? When one attempts this should they keep the pedal to the floor during shifts or let up while shifting...the auto makes for one intriguing little piece of equipment...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Nick VR4
    mainly because your deciding when you should go to the next gear
    that can put stress on the AT
    If a AT overheats it can cause major internal damage
    I can understand not using Over drive at times depending on road speed
    The AT has been set up to change at certain speeds etc
    Leaving it in 1 2 or 3 and pushing for that little extra power acellaration out can cause a lot of damage and $$$$$$$

I guess it does depend how long you leave it before you change up
    I have the tiptronic AT and that has built in logic so i can't try and go from 5th to 2nd at high speed
    Normal AT's dont have this logic so you can blow a AT very easily

Cheers Nick

Gilhuly
    By the same token, a lot of what goes into the specs for the electronically controlled A/T is driven by fuel economy - trying to get the car from 3rd to 4th as soon as possible for example and this is very hard on the torque converter constantly trying to shift at 2000rpm. I regularly travel in traffic in 3rd intil I'm clearly going to get above 45 MPH and will drop into D at 45 or so. take foot off gas for a second and it drops right in putting less stress on the TC and the tranny. Coming off the gas when doing this is what will take stress off the tranny and torque converter. If you are on top of the gas the whole time you'll burn up the TC and potentially damage the tranny.

Senior TGC Member
    We can't turn overdrive on/off in the 8Gs correct?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Gilhuly
    Far as I know... Nick's stuff always throws me.

cdaw2001ES
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>We can't turn overdrive on/off in the 8Gs correct?</div>

Sure you can, Just switching between 3rd and 4th.
    4th is the overdrive. Driving in 3rd still gives you 1 and 2 as needed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick VR4)</div><div class='quotemain'>...

I guess it does depend how long you leave it before you change up
    I have the tiptronic AT and that has built in logic so i can't try and go from 5th to 2nd at high speed Â*
    Normal AT's dont have this logic so you can blow a AT very easily Â*

Cheers Nick</div>

actually our trannies (at least on the US 8G V6) do have lockouts just like triptronic... you cannot downshift into first manually (even if you put the shifter there) at over 25mph. also you cannot drop to second manually (and obviously 1st) at over 80mph. so w/ this lock out, it is not possible to fry the tranny and over-rev by dropping from 4rth-1st at speed... the tranny won't do it, even if the shifter is dropped into that slot. the downshift will only happen if the speed allows for each gear. funny thing is that 1st gear runs to 45mph but you cannot manually drop to 1st when ur going 30mph... this is such a stupid design.

Senior TGC Member
    Lucky...my first gear won't let me go past 29

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lucky...my first gear won't let me go past 29</div>

really? it should... start at 0mph and drop ur shifter all the way back to 1st... you should be able to run all the way to 45mph before bouncing off the rev limiter. if u do the same thing in 2nd, hitting revlimiter happens at 80mph.

CcVilleES
    i try this little sport shifting thing and i get nothing out of it. i start off in L, and work my way up letting off the gas and shifting at 6krpm. maybe im not doing it right, but it does absolutely nothing for me. what do i need to do to get something out of this?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CcVilleES)</div><div class='quotemain'>i try this little sport shifting thing and i get nothing out of it. Â*i start off in L, and work my way up letting off the gas and shifting at 6krpm. Â*maybe im not doing it right, but it does absolutely nothing for me. Â*what do i need to do to get something out of this?</div>

doing this doesn't really give u more power. it just gives u more control over your car.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

CRH-1
    If you want to shift gears manually I believe it says in the owners manuel where to shift at.

Senior TGC Member
    I dunno maybe my car is screwy...it won't let me go past 29ish mph in 1.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CcVilleES)</div><div class='quotemain'>i try this little sport shifting thing and i get nothing out of it. Â*i start off in L, and work my way up letting off the gas and shifting at 6krpm. Â*maybe im not doing it right, but it does absolutely nothing for me. Â*what do i need to do to get something out of this?</div>

yeah it doesn't give you more power but it does give you control of where in the power band you are at any given speed. our 6G72 engines are strongest after around 4000rpm (well mine anywy but i suspect my mods have moved my "sweet spot higher in the rpm range). anyways try this little experiment some time... drive around at around 30mph in "D" and punch it... the car will either drop a gear automatically to 1st and take off or will "struggle" through 2nd and accelerate. now from a dead stop lock into "L" which is 1st gear and leave it there... now bring it up to 30 slowly and then hover at 30mph. you should really feel the engine working (high revs) as well as engine braking as you modulate the throttle (gas pedal) now punch it till you hit 45mph then upshift to second (push the shifter forward 1 notch) while still flooring it. redline should come up at around 45mph in 1st and then again at 80mph in 2nd. you should feel a big difference between doing this in "D" and doing this in "L". when ur in "D" at a steady 30mph you have to wait for the car to downshift (cuz u'll actually b in 3rd even 4rth gear) whereas if you are allready in a low gear (1st in this case), when you punch it the acceleraton is immediate.

Yeah, Reelax is right about keeping the engine revved until redline so you can reach 40 mph in first.

I can only go to 40 mph B4 I reach redline.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dunno maybe my car is screwy...it won't let me go past 29ish mph in 1.</div>

It also depends on your mods. It's possible that different ppl with different mods change how fast they reach redline which also will affect what speed you reach the redline. So 29 mph may be so for you Rallifan and Reelax can do 45 mph while I can get to 40 mph.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Gspeedvr42k1
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lucky...my first gear won't let me go past 29</div>

really? it should... start at 0mph and drop ur shifter all the way back to 1st... you should be able to run all the way to 45mph before bouncing off the rev limiter. if u do the same thing in 2nd, hitting revlimiter happens at 80mph.</div>

Wrong! i do it everyday its first nature to me, 33 at rev limiter, u can not drop gears when past 80 under 80 u can go from D to 3 if u go from D or 3 to L (1) the computer wont let u till it hits the safe Rpm limit 1500, that goes for every gear, sprotshifitng your automatic will not harm anything thats y ur computer controls everything so u dont blow ur engine or ur tranny, y do u think they make sportshifting plates for automatics? yea... dont worry bout ut, at 75 u should be roughly 3500 rpm wait till the rpm go down to 1500 in 3rd gear drop to second and so on 1500 rpm is safe no harm down puts a tinnnnnnny bit of stress on pistons and rods cause of the quick change... TC no harm done thats what it there for thats its job, going up different story, start in L (1) slam on gas hit red line get off gas shift fast into 2 slam gas and so on, doing this for 7 months non stop had my tranny checked this monring, no ware at all everything is in tip top shape car runs well, if u sport shift it a coupkle times ur ECU sets it self to MORE quicker and more aggressive shifts while only using the car in D!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lucky...my first gear won't let me go past 29</div>

really? it should... start at 0mph and drop ur shifter all the way back to 1st... you should be able to run all the way to 45mph before bouncing off the rev limiter. if u do the same thing in 2nd, hitting revlimiter happens at 80mph.</div>

Wrong! i do it everyday its first nature to me, 33 at rev limiter, u can not drop gears when past 80 under 80 u can go from D to 3 if u go from D or 3 to L (1) the computer wont let u till it hits the safe Rpm limit 1500, that goes for every gear, sprotshifitng your automatic will not harm anything thats y ur computer controls everything so u dont blow ur engine or ur tranny, y do u think they make sportshifting plates for automatics? yea... dont worry bout ut, at 75 u should be roughly 3500 rpm wait till the rpm go down to 1500 in 3rd gear drop to second and so on 1500 rpm is safe no harm down puts a tinnnnnnny bit of stress on pistons and rods cause of the quick change... TC no harm done thats what it there for thats its job, going up different story, start in L (1) slam on gas hit red line get off gas shift fast into 2 slam gas and so on, doing this for 7 months non stop had my tranny checked this monring, no ware at all everything is in tip top shape car runs well, if u sport shift it a coupkle times ur ECU sets it self to MORE quicker and more aggressive shifts while only using the car in D!</div>

Uh.............NO! Reelax has a V6 and 3rd gear will go to 115 mph!

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Senior TGC Member
    Aye I also knew about 3rd gear's 115 top since I can consistently hit that during dynos.

Gspeedvr42k1
    hahaha ok

Gspeedvr42k1
    3rd 65 to 110 4th 111 to some of u 121 and others 128 129 feel stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast