The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: "Manual" shifting with an automatic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 24 of 24
    gspeed don't u have a JDM galant or is that another guy? the A-spec 8G ESV6 has 4 forward gears and 1 reverse. if yours is a JDM VR4, you have 5 forward gears... 1st running to around 30mph makes sense in that car. we did some research back in the day (a few years ago) and the JDM VR4 and the US ES V6 have very close final drive ratios; the only problem is we only have 4 gears and the JDM's have 5 even in AT. so to end up at close to the same final ratio our 4 gears are very wide... especially 1st gear, as the US version was meant for sedate drivers. that is why we have a tranny that is geared to run to 45mph in 1st but drops like a rock below the sweet spot of the power band (4000rpm to 6000rpm) on the shift to second at around 45mph-50mph. appreciable power is again available at around 60mph+ when ur back in the meat of the powerband in 2nd gear. try accelerating in the US spec V6 from 0-80mph. there are very noticible holes in the power delivery from 0-25mph and from 45-60mph where the car almost "struggles". this is because of our wide gearing and the lack that fifth gear... the one that should have been put below 1st pushing the newly made 2nd gear up a little.

Senior TGC Member
    Righties well I went driving around today all the time in 3, and I don't know if it's just in my head or what, but the car feels smoother and stronger...the shifts are quite different and the response is also better. In my head or is this how it's suppose to work?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Righties well I went driving around today all the time in 3, and I don't know if it's just in my head or what, but the car feels smoother and stronger...the shifts are quite different and the response is also better. In my head or is this how it's suppose to work?</div>

Well, as Reelax says in the posts up there some where or alluded to it; the further down you start (or as in manual shifting), the tranny doesn't have to step down all the way from the top in 4th gear. i.e. so if you were doing 50 mph in 4th, and you suddenly floor it....... you may step down to 2nd or it may just step down one gear to 3rd b/c both are possible. However if you started in 3rd and floored it, it doesn't have to guess your intentions and just goes down one gear to 2nd.

Theoretically, it checks the TPS and the speed and should know which gear to throw you into but also b/c of the built in safety, etc., etc., it may be stepping one gear at a time to go easier on your tranny. I'm not sure exactly how it works but something like that definitely keeps your tranny second guessing your intentions.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Senior TGC Member
    I see...less confusion for the computer when deciding which gear to select eh?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12