The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: speakers

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

speakers

ok ok ok
    i got speakers for xmas and i was wonderin how hard it is to put my 6 x 9's in
    ]and what to do
    2002 Silver Galant

"If a man yells in the Woods, But there is no women around to hear him, Is he still wrong?"

A question that has plauged man for ages.

BlankMan
    Rear speaker installation is a small hassle only b/c you have to remove the rear seat and deck covering to get to the top-mount. What kind of speakers did you get? Another thing you need to watch out for is that the new speakers do not sit too low or they will contact with and possibly limit the movement of the trunk lid torsion bar - take a look in your trunk and you'll see what I mean.

As for what to do, here's a synopsis:

1) Remove rear seat bottom - there are 2 handles on the bottom front of the rear seat. You need to pull these out (towards the front of the car) to release the rear seat bottom.

2) Remove rear seat back - 3 bolts total (12mm or 14mm, I think) to remove. Then lift the seat back up (towards roof) and away to release it from the hanging mounts (Indicated by arrows below).

3) Remove 3rd brake light - there are two bolts and a connector you need to remove from inside the trunk.

4) Remove rear deck covering - I don't recall exactly how it is held in place (someone can chime in here) but I do remember it's pretty evident. You will most likely have to pop out both left and right C-pillar trim covering to get the rear deck cover to release.

5) Remove stock speakes - 4 screws and 2 wires each.

6) Install new speakers - 4 screws and reconnect wires in trunk.

7) TEST speakers - best to make sure they all work before putting everything back together.

8) Reinstall rear deck mount, 3rd brake light, rear seat back and rear seat bottom in reverse of above steps.

If you take your time and have all the tools handy, expect an hour to 1.5 hours. If you have to hunt for tools or run into problems, could be longer...

Hope this info helps.
    J

check out the audio forums. there should be smoe install tips and instructions. but pretty much what you do is remove the seat bottom and then the seat back. once thats out, you unbolt the rear shelf and pull that out. the c pillar trim has tabs that bite into the rear shelf so you're gonnah ave to fiddle with that.

oh yea, watch out for the speeaker depth. too deep of a speaker and it might not fit or just rub on the torsion bar. just watch out for that when installing

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

The 99 Galant
    its not too hard...the hardest part is removing and putting back in the rear deck liner. It's a pain to get it out because of the spacers holding down the liner. Also i hope your 6x9s will fit since the rear deck of 8gs have a small depth. Its only 2 and some percentage. Won't fit any 3" ones. 6x9's don't really matter if you get good components up front. Happy tuning

Animalmother
    what about the front speakers cause I need to know the size and how to get to them

The 99 Galant
    front speakers are 6 3/4 but you can buy adapters to fit 6 1/2 in there. I'd suggest getting components up front. Get adaptors to fit your speakers in them unless you get 6 3/4 components. If you have a 8G that doesn't have the Infinity system you can buy the factory sail panel tweeter pods for 13$ from an autobody shop or maybe a junkyard. The speaker depth is 3".

2_blue
    I'm new to Ganalt. Just bought a 2002 ES a few months ago. I'm selling my 1g AWD Talon and want to take out the music system and put it in the Galant.
    The Galant does not have the infinity system.

I have Infinity Reference 5.25" components up for the front and 6.5" Polk Audio components for the rear (I know ... but I just had these laying around so I installed components in the rear as well ). The Head Unit is Alpine. Amp is Alpine 4 channel and for the sub I have JL audio 12W6v2 powered by a JL 500/1 amp.

How can I install this system in the Galant? what speaker brackets would I need? Do I need to cut up the rear deck to install the rear speakers? What would I need to do if I want to make this reversible i.e being able to get everything out and reinstalling the stock system if I do sell the galant someday.

Thanks for the help!

2_blue
    Anyone ...?

BlankMan, just want to say thanks for posting this rear speaker installation guide. It was most helpful ito me when installing my rear speakers in 2002 Galant.
    NOTE: There are (4) 13mm bolts holding the rear seat back in place. The LATCH system located on rear deck also uses 13mm bolts. Two 10mm bolts hold the 3rd brake light in place. To re-install the rear seat bottom, slide in place and push down on the 2 front clips until they "lock"into the handles used to release the seats in beginning.
    BlankMan, what brand/model 6x9 speakers did you install and would
    you have an installation guide for removing/installing front 6.75 speaker? Your help as well as your time is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    FYI - I've installed Boston Acoustics SX95 6x9 speakers in rear and they fit the stock location perfect (top-mount depth: 2-5/8")

The following was provided by CHICAGO_ONE (Thanks!):

getting to them(front speakers) really isn't that hard. First, roll down your window. Then there are 5 (i think) screws on the door panel. One behind the door handle, one inside the cup on the armrest, the the rest are along the edges - those are under little caps. From there you pop the door panel out (Use a flat head screw driver, strong putty knife, or just grip it with your hands), but not all the way though. It's going to stay attatched near the window. Like I said about the window, that top part of the panel is hooked Into to door. So after you get the sides and bottom popped out, & all is attatched it the top part, carefully slide it up, and out. the panel should be off by now. However, there is an electrical harness attached. Simply unclip that. It's a basic harness, so u squeeze/pinch the release and pull.

Now the panel is completely off. Speaker is held on with 4 screws and a harness. You're going to need a new set of harnesses to put in those speakers. Best Buy has them for like $10-$20. They don't really make them specifically for ours cars, so get the 2001 Toyota harness(Metra # 72-8104 (Toyota - Universal). Now just plug and play.

Hope this helps...let me know if u have any more questions.

I have a 02 galant gtz wit infinity stereo. i bought a dual xdmr7700 headunit , kicker l7 and sony amp. i wanna get alpine speakers for the front door cuz the stock ones are all farty when bass is up. should i replace rear deck as well or will it go good wit aftermarket front door speakers?

once u get aftermarket all around.. and subs.. ull be fine.. cus ull get the treble in the front mid in the back and the bass in the trunk..
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

This is a follow up to CHICAGO_ONE's front speaker install how to:
    I've installed Pioneer 4-way TS-A1781R 61/2 Oversized speakers. Install was just as CHAGAO_ONE described. I began by removing the (5) Phillips head screws from the following locations; 1 near door hinge, 2 on outer door panel, 1 behind inside door handle and 1 inside armrest pocket. Then I pulled gently forward on the door panel from either side then bottom to remove from fastners. Then I removed the black corner trim piece(image 0099). Be careful, this is not one piece, it's two! Outside cover must be removed first by gently pulling towards you and then up from door panel. I broke the piece underneth that's held in place by three 10mm bolts, but was able to crazy glue it together. If you break beyond repair, the part # is XR 300112 LH or RH side. Once removed I pushed up on door panel from bottom to loosen from door sill. Once free, door panel will still be attached by wire harness. This must be disconnected at door panel by squeezing in on connector to release. Now the speaker will be visible(image 0100). To remove, use Phillips screwdriver to remove the four screws holding it in place. Once free, disconnect the speaker harness. To install new speaker, follow instructions in reverse. The Pioneer TS-A1781R speakers have the speaker trim ring included! Also, purchase Metra # 72-8104 (Toyota - Universal) wiring harness. This is used for front and rear speaker locations.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1194782699
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1194782868
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1194782942

sweet! Boston Acoustics is already in my car, and now i can get the 6x9's!! YAY!! thank you to the one that mentioned the 6x9's! you are god!