The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Park brake seems to lack stopping power.

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    emagdnim2100

Park brake seems to lack stopping power.

Is this normal? If I slam my park brake on, it feels like I've barely tapped the brakes.

BlankMan
    While moving? Um, no that's not normal. Do you take your foot off the gas? <G> You may need an adjustment - either at the e-brake handle or at the rear wheels.

J

its a PARKING BRAKE.
    not an emergency brake.
    its meant for ONE thing only; to keep the car immobile after parked.

emagdnim2100
    As I understand, it's actually kind of a combination park brake/e-brake And of course I take my foot off the gas. It's VERY weak - I don't even think it would stop me from rolling on a hill. I'll take it to a shop this week and see what they have to say.

BlankMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>its a PARKING BRAKE.
    not an emergency brake.
    its meant for ONE thing only; to keep the car immobile after parked.</div>

Apologies for the semantics but in laymen terms park brake and e-brake are nearly synonymous - at least in my view. Still, a PARKING brake, while not designed to stop you in an EMERGENCY, should do more than was described, no? Besides, isn't "Park" on the transmission designed to keep the car immodbile after parked?

J

emagdnim2100
    I know on my friend's manual tranny cars (/jealous) the park brake more or less locks the rear wheels. That'd be nice :?

Gilhuly
    It's a parking brake. It's a teeny little piece of crap. The only thing I've ever used it for except for parking is the need to execute a 180 in snow after missing a turn on an empty, wide road.