The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rebuild and a Turbo question

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    91GALANTDRIVER

Rebuild and a Turbo question

I'm thinking of rebuild my SOHC engine. I wiil be auto crossing with this car and I would like to keep the weight down. I'm figuring that a SOHC engine is lighter than a DOHC engine would be. Can High performance parts be found for a SOHC engine. Such as high compresstion pistions. Can a turbo or a super charger be put on one.

Re: Rebuild and a Turbo question

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(91GALANTDRIVER)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm thinking of rebuild my SOHC engine. I wiil be auto crossing with this car and I would like to keep the weight down. I'm figuring that a SOHC engine is lighter than a DOHC engine would be. Can High performance parts be found for a SOHC engine. Such as high compresstion pistions. Can a turbo or a super charger be put on one.</div>
    well the weight thing would be almost nothing, and the power benefits from switching to a dual cam (proabably a 4g63-the motor in the DSM's, evo, etc.) would outweigh the few extra pounds it would weigh. Seriously, like maybe 20lbs, if that.
    You can turbo anything. You could turbo a Geo Metro if you felt so inclined. The biggest benefit with a dohc motor is more valves, which results in better flow. You can compare a motor to a glorified air pump...the more the "pump" flows, the more power you make, so it doesn't really matter what kind of head you are using. To keep the weight down, it would be better to look to other parts of your car, like the sound deadening material under your carpet, the rear seats, the passenger seat, carpet itself, spare tire, etc. Lots of stuff you don't really NEED to operate your car.
    I'm sure there are pistons and such out there for the sohc, but if you're serious about building your motor, go with a 4g63...it's easy (i.e. not having to deal with the hybrid motor) and can take around 25 lbs boost stock. Just be careful
    There is a RIPP sds (supercharger) for the 4g64 (sohc motor), i think it costs about $3000. Probably be easier, but for auto-x i think a turbo would be best...read my post at the top of the page for debates between the two.

stryker204

Re: Rebuild and a Turbo question

[quote="ScootinIntegra"]
    The biggest benefit with a dohc motor is more valves, which results in better flow.

go with a 4g63...it's easy (i.e. not having to deal with the hybrid motor) and can take around 25 lbs boost stock. Just be careful
    Tquote]

number one....the SOHC 4g64 motor has the same number of valves as a 4g63 (and here is a pic befor u start to argue):

the only true diffrence between the 4g63 head and 4g64 head are:

one more cam

diff lifts on the cams

diff size valves

big monster ports on the 1g 4g63

and just better all around not haveing one cam opening the exhaust and intake valaves....

and number two....i would not run 25psi on a stock 4g63 bottem end....specially a 7bolt....wont hold up