The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Swap Question

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    91GALANTDRIVER

Swap Question

Can anyone give me a list of the parts I need to swap a 6G VR4 engine into my car. I know I need the front cut, but that's seems to vary with the seller, so I need to konw exactly what parts I need for the swap.

Rasko Da Gama
    I can't give you a list, but the best for you would be to get JDM half-cut of VR-4. Replace engine, whole wireing harnes, replace fuel pump, ECU and gauges if you want to see right values... There are much more things to do, but maybe kenn-inn, manybrews or someone who is more familiar to this questions will give you some suggestions.
    Anyway, good luck on your project

DMS GSR
    I just recently converted my gsr from na 2lt twin cam to an evo 3, the motor looms are almost identical, and my ecu pins were the same as the evo, but i had to modify 2 plugs and run a new wire, 1 for the new airflow meter off the evo which is a 7 pin which needed the extra wire (6G is 6 pin) and the o2 sensor which is a single wire on the evo (6G is 4 wire), the vr4 would be easier as it should just all plug in, im still using my standard fuel pump and standard dash, all seems 2 work fine been nearly 3 months, a conversion is not cheap though, but can be heaps of fun when finished

bluedraco
    hey DMS - how much did it cost you all up for everything that is NECESSARY for the upgrade from the N/A DOHC model to the evo 3? any complications?

i'm guessing your car is still FWD?

DMS GSR
    Hey blue, everything necessary to get it running cost me bout AU$10000 but i got all the parts dirt cheap though people i no, and did most of the work with the help of a m8.
    When i first started lookin into this, i found a halfcut evo3 for $8000, and to have that installed with the mods i now have it woulda cost round the $20000 mark. That was a quote from a local workshop. So in the end we did it.
    Had a few probs, which wernt so bad at the time, but have now turned out to b a disaster. I didnt get a halfcut, just engine and ecu, no loom, no MAF, no oil cooler and no intercooler.
    Loom wasnt much of a hastle just had to b modified, finding a EVO MAF wasnt easy took bot 2 months 2 find 1, the good thing was the MAF off my na galant was able 2 run the motor until i got the new MAF.
    The biggest prob i have at the moment is the MAF that i got was busted and we didnt no, so now the loom and ecu have been cooked, and the clutch isnt strong enough to cope with the power output.
    My car is still FWD but have upgraded the driveline to cope with the new power, i was lucky to come across and eclipse FWD turbo box though a friend and vr4 driveshafts, that was an extra AU$3000 on top of the $10000.
    If u wana convert, get a halfcut it will make life a lot easier if you can find 1, evo halfcuts are not that easy to come by.

bluedraco
    whoa...i think i'll be passing on doing a conversion...too much stuffing around and WAYYY too much cost for my liking...

i'm impressed with your effort though - good work!