The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is this a good deal and am i gonna be able to fix it?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Slammed90Galant

Is this a good deal and am i gonna be able to fix it?

I have the chance to buy a 1991 Galant VR-4 5-speed with 156k for $3000. It has a new manifold, new turbo, custom exhaust, and a good alpine deck. The motor Surprisingly didn't tick, which was surprising because of this motors' history, but apparently the thing was skipping and bogging out when i stepped on the gas hard. Now it seems as though he had taken it to the mechanic and he said it just needed spark plugs and wires, a basic tune up. I think that the problem and the symptoms atch up because my 4G63 does the same thing when a plug gets fouled out. Also the power steering line has a leak in it so I can replace them. The car had no other problems besides those so I decided to go out and buy some spark plugs and see if that solves the problem, like the mechanic said. The mileage really isn't a problem since my friend has 12 turbo lower ends for the 4G63 at his house that I can get for like $50. Someone please tell me whether I should grab this car or not.

Rasko Da Gama
    You gotta take it! It's a good deal... Well, at least you have a chance to get one - here no go - no VR 4s in Europe :cry:

Anyway - I think you can fix those problems, and have that turboed G-ride

Slammed90Galant
    THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!! I just figured that i should ask some people who know what an old-school Galant is first, ya know.
    Thanks for the input!

TGC Regular
    i say go for it

its a great chance

i had a chance on a vr4 for a few hundred, just needed a computer and i called to late :cry:

don't let this pass you by!!!!

92mpi
    Go get it!!!

A lot of people want it, but unfortunately, most people can't. The engine can be fixed

ken inn
    there are several things that can be bad. ign wires is a very good start. under load, these things break up, and the factory ones go away very quickly. dont get expensive ones like magnecor. just some replacement ones are fine. i have kingsborne wires on my car. the next thing to check is for a boost leak. you have to pressuize the intake, sounds hard, but it is very simple. you make a cap for the turbo inlet, attach a valve, and pressurize it with compressed air. a good tire pump can even do it. then, you listen for leaks. a boost leak will do exactly as you describe. so will bad ign wires. you should also reset base timing and idle. there are faqs on this. go to www.galantvr4.org, and join the group. use the search before you ask a question that has been asked many times before you.

Slammed90Galant
    I have some good news guys! I asked him if i could replace the spark plugs, and he said it was cool. When I took the plugs out they were worn down to almost nothing. Also they were black as hell and wreaked of gas because they had been misfiring for so long. I took the car out, after performing minor surgery to a broken plug wire, and it worked great. Although it didn't pul as hard as I thought it should have, I later realized that there was about an extra 800 pounds in the car, 3 people basically, and i weigh 140 so you guys can do the math, they were big kids! I think that's enough to slow just about any car down to a crawl! My Grand National did the same thing when I loaded a few 200 pounders in there. Other than that minor power steering pump line I think it's a good deal. I also found out that the car has mostly highway mileage on it because it was driven back and forth from albany to poughkeepsie. Thanks for all your input everyone, now all I gotta do is get the 3g's to buy it.