The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: front drive performance

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    TGC Regular

front drive performance

what do you guys think about modding a front wheel drive dual cam 5spd galant? is there no point since youd be better off with an awd version? i mean, would you do performance mods on one? can you still make them pretty fast?

91GALANTDRIVER
    That's what I'm doing

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 91GALANTDRIVER
    That's what I'm doing
    yeah, but i want to know how effective it is in comparision with awd modding.

but let me know how that goes.

91GALANTDRIVER
    AWD drive is nice it gives you better handling. but it is not the end all be all you can have a FWD car and Beat an AWD. A FWD can be just as fast as an AWD.

DMS GSR
    I modded my FWD, my friends think i went a bit nuts on it but that was just sumfin i wanted to do, u can get a FWD goin pretty quick, we got some cordia's down here doin 10's and they are FWD, only prob i have is traction

ken inn
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(91GALANTDRIVER)</div><div class='quotemain'>AWD drive is nice it gives you better handling. but it is not the end all be all you can have a FWD car and Beat an AWD. A FWD can be just as fast as an AWD.</div>

maybe just as FAST, but fwd sucks. the fwd f/i cars i had/have(88 mazda 323gt, 99 mazda millenia s) ALWAYS have traction problems. even the tcs on the millenia dont help. if the road is just a tad wet, or if your front wheels are on the white line, or a bit of gravel on the road, no traction. the rwd cars(70 and 73 bmw 2002 w/aftermarket turbo) would easily beat both the fwd cars. the awd cars(88 mazda 323gtx, 91 galant vr4, 93 gsx) will suck the doors off EITHER of them without even breathing hard. in a normal, everyday situation, the awd is vastly superior to fwd. even the rwd is better.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you should definatly do it. you'll be lighter than an AWD car, and if you learn to drive stick really well, you wont have traction problems since you can feather the clutch to adjust for any traction problems. the FWD is faster than the AWD due to the weight differences, but an AWD can always launch off the line, so it'd be pretty close. But lighter is always better, and since you wont be racing it 24/7, you'll save on gas milage, and win the races that are rolling starts. Do it man, you have a rare find, i'd kill for either a DOHC swap or a 5spd swap.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd