The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2g auto tranny?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    brandon

2g auto tranny?

As I continue to gather my parts to go turbo, I'm thinking if I wanna do everything right the first time, I'm gonna need a tranny improvement.

I want to keep it automatic, and only plan on running 4-6 lbs of boost, but am wondering if I should/can put a 2g eclipse auto tranny in?

Any thoughts? Wondering about how much hp that tranny can hold, whether it'll mate up, etc.

2g turbo tranny will bolt right up to ur car, no modifications needed

brandon
    And how much does a stock 2g run for boost and how much hp were they?

Thanks!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    If you a planning to push the boost you say you are planning to use...you could stick with your stock Galant tranny, just fill her up completely with synthetic tranny fluid. A 2g auto turbo tranny will bolt right up...but I believe can hold around 13-14 lbs of boost daily. 2g auto turbos probably put down 170-180 hp at the wheels. You'll be safe with your Galant tranny...but you'll be safer with a 2g auto tranny. 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

brandon
    I think I'm going to stick with the stock tranny and if it goes, I"ll deal with it then and go for the 2G.

Very nice reply, thanks for your help.

Moosh
    The stock Galant automatic transmission can NOT handle boost. Maybe it can survive for a few months with like 5 pounds of boost but wtf is the point of that. You would be better off selling your Galant tranny for a few hundred, and putting that towards a 2G turbo tranny. Also if you want to switch to a 2G turbo tranny, it is true that it bolts up. However the stock Galant torque converter may need to be modified or replaced to work.