The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Backing out the MAS screw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 60
    Senior TGC Member

Backing out the MAS screw

How, where, what tools would I need? How do I know when it's too much? Could I/Should I leave the car running while doing this? Trying to lean out my car...see if it makes a difference.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Gspeedvr42k1
    whats backing out the mas screw mean , does this like make ur car faster?

I'm curious too. Unless you took the MAS apart, hehe. Or did you mean the idle screw on the TB.

If it is the idle screw on the TB, it only allows more air to go in so you will idle higher. It will not lean you out as the ECU will compensate for more air that you've let in and also increase the fuel too.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Senior TGC Member
    I backed out the little screw on the black box with the sensors in it between the air filter and the intake plenum...my dealer is going to kill me. I read about it on Club 3G when members started running rich after installing a CAI and downpipes, and I noticed my exhaust smelled pretty bad too, so I went out and did this mod. Here's my results...Righties...for all of you folks still not convinced that the grinding/whirling type sound is coming from your CAI, I have confirmed it. How? I left the bottom half the the CAI off while starting the car (i.e. MAS to the intake plenum only pipe) and sure enough it was loud as heck and coming from inside the MAS. Also...since I didn't know how far to back out the screw I only did enough to see 2 threads of the screw and that was it...I had it out to 3 threads and my car died on me, so I pushed it back into to 2. On the test drive I didn't really feel anything different, positive nor negative (as long as it's not negative it's good enough for me), and it still smells pretty darn bad...but I'm not gonna adjust it any more since it has a tendency to die on me...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

BlueESV6
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm curious too. Unless you took the MAS apart, hehe. Or did you mean the idle screw on the TB.

If it is the idle screw on the TB, it only allows more air to go in so you will idle higher. It will not lean you out as the ECU will compensate for more air that you've let in and also increase the fuel too.</div>

Not that I'm any expert on the idle adjust but I thought manybrews was mentioning on a car problems post that the idle was not adjustable but all automatic? Would this mess up the car's settings? Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Not that I'm any expert on the idle adjust but I thought manybrews was mentioning on a car problems post that the idle was not adjustable but all automatic? Would this mess up the car's settings? Â*Thanks </div>

I think it was timing is automatic and not the idle. That would be crazy if there wasn't a way to adjust your idle. Plus if you look at the TB, all it does is open/close up a path way for the air to bypass the butterfly valve in the TB. If it wasn't adjustable, why the idle screw then.

Rallifan, that's interesting about the MAS. I'll look into the manual to see if there is any info on that.

No info in the service manual about the Air Flow Sensor Assembly.
    Guess Mitsubishi thought there was nothing that needs to be adjusted in there. Nothing was even mentioned in troubleshooting the Intake System.

smoothrollin

Throttle Body

If you adjust the TB like is mentioned in the tutorials, will that not increase performance, and will it burn up more gas.

Re: Throttle Body

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smoothrollin)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you adjust the TB like is mentioned in the tutorials, will that not increase performance, and will it burn up Â*more gas.</div>

What tutorial is that? Tightening the accelerator cable or adjusting the idle screw? Either way, neither really increases performance, lol.

smoothrollin
    I don't know. He just said to follow the throttle cable to the end where there is a flat cable and loose the two screws on the plate and move the plate back.
    What will that do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smoothrollin)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't know. Â*He just said to follow the throttle cable to the end where there is a flat cable and loose the two screws on the plate and move the plate back.
    Â*What will that do.</div>

Oh okay. That mod is just to take the slack out of the accellerator cable. Quicker response time on the throttle is what that does. The two screws mentioned in that mod goes to the top of the intake manifold where that plate with the two screws are which is no where near the throttle body (TB).

The idle screw is right on the TB. It raises or lowers your rpm at idle regulated by how much air it lets pass.

smoothrollin
    So is there any mods like that, that I can do to help with performance. Things that don't cost too much. at least right now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smoothrollin)</div><div class='quotemain'>So is there any mods like that, Â*that I can do to help with performance. Â*Things that don't cost too much. at least right now.</div>

Sorry Rallifan for getting off topic and polluting your thread, hehe. I'll pm smoothrollin.

Senior TGC Member
    Heehee...np...now for extended testing results (80 miles total distance tested)...my car idles at 500 rpm and will shudder a little before upping the rpm to about 600 and falling back down to 500 if I turn the A/C off...very risky On the bright side my throttle response has improved insanely, my car revs faster, holds revs longer, shifts smoother, and feels tons stronger...my guess is I really was running too rich. Plus I dunno what I did but my car sounds a whole bunch meaner when at WOT and very smooth tone the rest of the time. I'm glad I did this...my fuel consumption has dropped too Too bad it still smells really thick...

toc8g
    Yeah I did this along time ago on my old silver car,..I also got the idea from the 3g club and on Club DSM site,..It seemed to work out ok,..I mean my car never died out like yours but it seemed to do what you described. As matter of fact I still have the MAS from my old Galant and instead of tearing that rubber seal off my new mas I will just swap out the mas!

Rallifan, can you or TOC post the thread from club 3g about this mod please? I'm not sure I'll mess with it, heck I don't even know if my car is running rich or not, but it's at least worth looking into. Thanks guys.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Senior TGC Member
    Righties here's some of the best threads I think: http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.ph...light=MAS+screw and http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.php? and http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.ph...light=MAS+screw The last link is a post that has pics that link to Road Race Engineering...it's what I used as a visual aid for myself. It's really fun...I get torque steer now at 75 mph if I floor it

Thanks Rallifan. Looks like I'm headed out to the driveway later to back that screw out until it's flush. I'll let you know what happens.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Senior TGC Member
    Just remember to reattach your air filter, even if you're not securing it, before starting up the car, or else it'll die on you like it did me from too much air It's good to have a little restriction once in a while

BlueESV6
    I knew I wasn't dreaming when I read the idle was not adjustable. Manybrews was responding to the "I'm Running Rich" post under car problems.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>the idle is totally automatic. if its not idling at 750 +-, its ROYALLY screwed up.

a little tip.. there is NOTHING that needs adjustment on the throttle, ever.. Â*
    if you messed with it, youve probably screwed it up.
    if its idling wrong without being adjusted, something has failed.

and just increasing the idle will NOT make it run rich, as the fuel system will easily compensate for that. so something else is screwed up.</div>

This was he wrote about it... I personally have no clue just passing this along to you...

Good Luck with it, hope you get it idleing better. Mine was idling bad a month ago and manybrews suggested cleaning the throttle body out. A few squirts of carb cleaner did the trick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast