The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: APC air breathers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25
    99GalantOn18s

APC air breathers

wussup ya'll? today i was ridin by a discount auto and i was like "hmm lemme go look around in there and give my baby 'Misha' a present since shes been so good to me"... and i saw 2 red APC breather filters... so i went and bought them... i disconnected the lil red hose off my injen intake and slapped one of these babies on the intake, and the other on the head, well maybe its just in my head but my car: its a 99 4banger, actually felt like it had better throttle response in the lower rpm, maybe i'm wrong and it did help some... if anyone else installed some on their g-ride tell me if u felt any difference or if i'm just coo coo

I saw that on a website, and I thought about it. I will try it too, not to expensive. Anyone know a online site?
    1999 2.4l
    - AEM Short Ram with Blitz Sonic Air Filter
    - Magnecore Wires & Denso Iridium Plugs
    - Throttle Body rebored by ProFlow
    - Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
    - Throttle Cable adjustment
    - Freedom Design Strut Bar
    - Tein Springs
    - KYB AGX setting 1
    Exterior:
    - 2nd Gen JDM Tails
    - New rear 02 Molding
    - Debadged Mitsubishi lettering

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I actually had 2 of those things on my car, didnt notice any power difference really i just got it because it matched the hoses.. Supposidly its supposed to lower oil temp, but who knows..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Yeah, no real noticable performance gains but it does keep your intake and TB a lot cleaner. You have no idea how much crap comes out of those little hoses and gets recycled into your engine. Only downside is letting the nasty blowby from your engine out into the air... obviously this means you should always put back the hoses when doing smog checks or you will not pass visual. BTW, these gases are explosive so make sure you don't smoke or do that sparkplug/cable test while your engine in running, lol.
    :explode:

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

99GalantOn18s

whoa, explosive

whoa thats pretty damn scary, thanks for lettin us know... we mighta blown up if it wasnt for u

Re: whoa, explosive

Quote Originally Posted by 99GalantOn18s
    whoa thats pretty damn scary, thanks for lettin us know... we mighta blown up if it wasnt for u
    Hahaha. Sounds sarcastic, lol. Anyway, blow-by gas can consist of unburned fuel so yeah, it's possible. Just like a leaky battery can too. Better safe than sorry.

Galant01
    How do u get the black nipple thing off of the head? Do u unscrew it or something?

Galant01
    Also how did u get it on to your intake?

anyone with pics of this mod?
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galant01)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also how did u get it on to your intake?</div>

well actually you don't want it on the intake pipe. you want to plug that nipple off. it can cause incorrect readings by the MAS. by having the filter there not only do u have a place for air to leak out after its been detected by the MAS but air can get in undetected by the MAS

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant01
    How do u get the black nipple thing off of the head? Do u unscrew it or something?
    If you are talking about the valve cover, that is the PCV (positive crankcase valve) and you don't want to remove that. Just put the breather filter right on the other end of the PCV. BTW, if you want to remove it, just twist back and forth while pulling... it's just friction fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant01
    Also how did u get it on to your intake?
    Do not put a breather on your intake hose or the intake manifold. That would just cause a leak like Pinoy says and can cause rough idling and possibly leaning out the engine too much. Just cap them off with some rubber valve plugs you can get at the autoparts store. Just get the right size.

Big H Killa
    I just put a breather on the Intake pipe and on the head where the right angled piece of metal comes out. I had also tried running it with the head thingy plugged up but the pressure builds up to much and the fitting near the oil cap can release it quick enough so it makes a whisteling sound. so then i tried it with the intake plugged and with breathers on both. I found with breathers on both it works great. I do have more lower end response it's a great mod I think and I do reccommend it. I'll take pic's later tonight and post them.

Hey Big H, did you also do the backing out the MAS screw? I just got done with that mod and now want to move into this Breather mod. I'm thinking of not putting one on the Injen like Pinoy said, it does kinda make sense that just capping will be sufficient. Also, what size breathers did you get? I notice there are different sizes of the hoses.
    1999 2.4l
    - AEM Short Ram with Blitz Sonic Air Filter
    - Magnecore Wires & Denso Iridium Plugs
    - Throttle Body rebored by ProFlow
    - Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
    - Throttle Cable adjustment
    - Freedom Design Strut Bar
    - Tein Springs
    - KYB AGX setting 1
    Exterior:
    - 2nd Gen JDM Tails
    - New rear 02 Molding
    - Debadged Mitsubishi lettering

Big H Killa
    Well all the Apc Breathers are the same size it all just depends on how much you have to tighten the clamp. Next Capping the intake pipe works fine to. I just like the idea of putting the filter there not only for looks but also it helps bring in more air the mas can't detect which personally I like that idea b/c it will help with the denser air and my car runs lean right now so the extra air will help even it out some.

Tiptronic
    man does anyone have pictures. all this talk of breathers on pipes; not on pipes, explosive gases, leaking air. i understand all that, but if i could only picture in my head where these locations are that you guys are talking about i would be good. but im learning, so here i go.

ok now there is an area at the top of the manifold cover that looks like an inverted "L" so to speak. you want to put a breather there, yes?

there is also a small nipple that sticks out the side of the intake as it straightens out toward the front. you want to put a breather there, YES OR NO?

and this leak youre talkin allan, where exactly is that coming from

Quote Originally Posted by hourglass113
    there is also a small nipple that sticks out the side of the intake as it straightens out toward the front. you want to put a breather there, YES OR NO?

and this leak youre talkin allan, where exactly is that coming from
    don't put the breather filter on the intake pipe. put a cap on it. the last thing you'd want is air to get into the motor that hasn't been monitored by the MAS. so pretty much by putting the breather filter on the nipple on the intake pipe is just like driving around with a big hole in your upper intake pipe

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Big H Killa
    Pinoy that's not necesarily true. The nipple on the side of the intake pipe doesn't have a filter on it then the car stalls out. If it's covered and plugged it runs good. But I put a breather filter on that nipple and it makes the car run alot smoother in my case. And air not being detected by the mass is not always bad. And Hourglass the inverted L you are talking about is one of the spots I put a breather on and on the nipple that's on the side of the intake tubing is where I put the other breather.

Quote Originally Posted by Big H Killa
    Pinoy that's not necesarily true. The nipple on the side of the intake pipe doesn't have a filter on it then the car stalls out. If it's covered and plugged it runs good. But I put a breather filter on that nipple and it makes the car run alot smoother in my case. And air not being detected by the mass is not always bad. And Hourglass the inverted L you are talking about is one of the spots I put a breather on and on the nipple that's on the side of the intake tubing is where I put the other breather.
    So let me get this straight. You have one breather on your intake, One on the manifold where the intake hose should connect, one where the PCV valve should go in the head cover and one in the manifold where the PVC hos should go? So you have four breathers, are completely defeating the Crankcase ventilation system and polluting the air, and will never pass a visual inspection for emissions. Not to mention the oil that will eventually get on your engine through those breathers without those points being closed. Sorry, but including the cost of the breathers, I just don't see the point.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Big H Killa
    I only have 2 breathers. One on the PCV on the head and one on the intake.

Pinoy is right. It would not be wise to keep a filter on the nipple of the intake pipe. Just plug it up.

Besides, the whole breather filter thing is mainly for cars with turbo. The breather filter eliminates all the residue buildup inside the turbo, but doesn't do a friggin' thing for a car without turbo, except keep the inside of your intake tube and throttle body clean. I used to think it was a good idea, but after searching the web and reading info on this subject, I am positive that it's a worthless mod unless you have turbo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast