The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Backing out the MAS screw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 60
    I ran the screw out of my MAF until one thread was showing. Didn't notice any change in idling or sound when I started the car up. But when I got to the top of my street and turned out, I left a little squeel behind. Something that never ordinarily happens. I thought it was just a coincidence, but after driving around, I have definately got more low end response than I had before. The car is truly quicker. Of course without an AFC I can't tell you if I'm running any more or less rich than I was before. But I can feel a noticeable difference. We'll leave it turned out and see if there's any long term effects. Thanks Rallifan.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>I ran the screw out of my MAF until one thread was showing. Didn't notice any change in idling or sound when I started the car up. But when I got to the top of my street and turned out, I left a little squeel behind. Something that never ordinarily happens. I thought it was just a coincidence, but after driving around, I have definately got more low end response than I had before. The car is truly quicker. Of course without an AFC I can't tell you if I'm running any more or less rich than I was before. But I can feel a noticeable difference. We'll leave it turned out and see if there's any long term effects. Thanks Rallifan.

Chip</div>

SOunds like something i should do :thumbsup:

Senior TGC Member
    Hehe...so maybe it's not all in my head
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

smoothrollin

backing out screw

Which screw do you back out

Senior TGC Member
    Ok there's a black box with sensors somewhere in the middle of your air intake path, with a bundle of wires coming out from the left side (towards the engine). If you can flip it so that the under side is facing up, you'll see a little circle that has soft stuff in the middle. You have to destroy that material to get to see the screw. It's a screw big enough (about a quarter to half an inch maybe) to be turned by a flathead screw driver. The 3rd link I posted has a link to Road Race's pics, very helpful.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

ralli.. if your car is Running rich, or stinks like Ass.. why not Try Replacing o2 sensors? ~$50 from conicelli

do you have a S-afc to keep an eye on the front one?

if that doesn't work... try replacing the catcon.
    (good excuse to buy a 2.5" hi-flow)
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

MnGalant
    I backed mine out so i could see two thread. The car just drives so much better and smell normal when i accelerate hard. My girl even drove it with out knowing what i did and said the car was driving much nicer, shifted really good and was better off the line.

Senior TGC Member
    Well I guess it's official...somehow the screw is adjusting stuff All I know is I like what it did whatever it was

BlueESV6
    Sounds like I'll be trying this mod when I get a CAI...
    Besides giving more apparent power... what is that screw for???

Anyone know?

Senior TGC Member
    The only reason it may be giving more power is because for some reason it seems to be affecting whether we run richer or leaner. With my CAI and downpipe I was running rich for some reason, so I backed it out to help run leaner...it's basically a poor man's S-AFC.

Where is the screw again? isn't it on the bottom of the MAS?

Gspeedvr42k1
    still cant find it....

Gspeedvr42k1
    wait is this on the stock airbox? or cai only..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>wait is this on the stock airbox? or cai only..</div>
    neither. its on the bottom of the MAF sensor inbetween both pieces of pipe.

Gspeedvr42k1
    yo, wait MAF pipe? is it gonna be on the stock intake anywheres

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>yo, wait MAF pipe? is it gonna be on the stock intake anywheres</div>

The MAF is the thing on the end of your airbox with the 6 pin electrical plug on it. It's kinda square. If you take it off and flip it over you'll see the silicone sealant about the size of a nickel on the underside. Once you cut that sealant off, the screw will be under it. It's a big screw, the size of the hole you just uncovered. Use a flat blade screwdriver and turn it out. How far is up to you and up to how your car responds. So far we've had people make it flush to the casing, one thread out and two threads out. After you adjust the screw, put everything back together. Remember to plug the MAF connector back in. Then start your car.

Chip
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Can you do the same mod with only a CAI and exhaust or only if you have the headers and such is this useful and what could the side effects be if anyone knows.

Jason

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Outlawzcc)</div><div class='quotemain'>Can you do the same mod with only a CAI and exhaust or only if you have the headers and such is this useful and what could the side effects be if anyone knows.

Jason</div>
    Hey Jason,

Mods don't seem to matter. The only reason Rallifan and I did it is because both our cars were running slightly rich. But according to the articles from club 3G, it seems to have no side effects unless you lean your car out too much, but you'd likely notice that right away. I'd suggest you try it and see what effects it has, especially in your low end. That's where I noticed the most. If it doesn't work you can always turn it back in.

Chip
    Chip

Hey guys, I came across this thread late lastnight...initial thoughts were yea, ok..sure uh huh... I kept getting pm's, IM's emails and such and decided to try it. So after spending the 5 min to do this I realized 2 things...1 I still need a fpr (chip could help with that lol) because my fuel cut off is around 4100 rpm. 2 alittle gains have been achieved as far as fuel economy.

Im not sure if this is due to my ram air, heavy foot or mental. Either way you no harm can nor will be done by doing this. I'd recommend using lock tite or something to keep the screw inplace

Gilhuly
    If it were really going to make the engine run too lean the ECU would kick off a check engine light, no? The last of the Club 3G posts provided above (thanks) was pretty helpful for understanding this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast