The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Backing out the MAS screw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 60 of 60
    Gspeedvr42k1
    I'd recommend using lock tite or something to keep the screw inplace.

Duct Tape! worked for me can work for you

i tried this mod and umm.. i kinda didnt notice anything... and i have it about 2 threads out.... help....?

PS. thanks fishboy

MnGalant
    How will i now if i am running lean with out using a af gauge. Second on the 3g club they brought up using this in winter but they didnt get into depth with it . I live in minneapolis and it get pretty cold so should i twist it back in around winter time.

Usually you can tell because your car stutters a little when it's lean. You can sometimes feel it in the idle. Also, and this is worst case, you'll hear it knock. That's very bad.

I don't really see how it's going to make any difference in the winter. I don't see why you'd want to run rich anytime of year. I'm sure someone here must have some ideas on this. I'm surprised we haven't heard from our resident tech manybrews on what we're all doing by turning this screw. LOL.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

00GTZ00
    uhmmmmmm maybe I should give this a try today... my car started shuttering a little at idle, Maybe I am running too lean, or rich...

Senior TGC Member
    You sure it's not the wife?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

BlueESV6
    I used o pull a plug to check for lean... has anyone pulled a plug to look at it? (compared with a plug before this mod was done)

I sure am curious what the heck that screw does... it obviously was not meant to move once set from the factory (sealant covered)....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueESV6
    I used o pull a plug to check for lean... has anyone pulled a plug to look at it? (compared with a plug before this mod was done)

I sure am curious what the heck that screw does... it obviously was not meant to move once set from the factory (sealant covered)....
    Absolutely. The old way was to inspect the plugs for symtoms of how your engine is running. I believe you can get pictures of plug analysis on Union76 gas' website.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

BlueESV6
    Found this on the RRE website regarding the MAS screw and what it does...

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...adjustment.htm

Big H Killa
    what's this honeycomb thing

It's the air diffuser inside your MAF. Read the article from RRE and it'll tell you all about it.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

cdaw2001ES
    My honeycomb is all one piece. it is not in sections like on RRE's site. I left it all together.

I am seeing a decreased performance, when cold starting, in cold temperature. Engine runs excessivley to the lean side, while still in the pre heat static fuel map, As soon as the 02 heats up and the car switches to bouncy mode things get back to normal

Otherwise I'm loving my car at the moment

I just went out to my car, dug out that screw and backed it out a little past flush, then went speeding around the neighborhood at 12:30am for a little bit and the car definatly pulls a little harder, crazy

I'm going to try this tomarrow at work. I think this mod should be added to thegalantcenter.com mod page with a tutorial. I always love FREE performance mods.
    1999 2.4l
    - AEM Short Ram with Blitz Sonic Air Filter
    - Magnecore Wires & Denso Iridium Plugs
    - Throttle Body rebored by ProFlow
    - Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
    - Throttle Cable adjustment
    - Freedom Design Strut Bar
    - Tein Springs
    - KYB AGX setting 1
    Exterior:
    - 2nd Gen JDM Tails
    - New rear 02 Molding
    - Debadged Mitsubishi lettering

Did it today at work, it was ez. On the ride home, I can feel the throttle response is much better. Now I'm curious about doing the Air breather mod and see if I can pick up even more action.
    1999 2.4l
    - AEM Short Ram with Blitz Sonic Air Filter
    - Magnecore Wires & Denso Iridium Plugs
    - Throttle Body rebored by ProFlow
    - Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
    - Throttle Cable adjustment
    - Freedom Design Strut Bar
    - Tein Springs
    - KYB AGX setting 1
    Exterior:
    - 2nd Gen JDM Tails
    - New rear 02 Molding
    - Debadged Mitsubishi lettering

Those of you who have done the mod already, can you also turn the screw so it goes in further instead of backing it out? I ask because since I have problems with my car idleing funny in the cold, I'd think that I would want to richen things up instead.

Senior TGC Member
    Good question...didn't think about screwing it in before screwing it out...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Tiptronic
    is this the black box you are talking about

yea thats teh black box...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by hourglass113

Yes! That part is not from Injen as shown in their Race Division CAI. That is the MAS or MAF adapter that is bolted on your stock air box with 4 nuts and also has the wire harness hooked up to it. Under that MAS is a round opening about the size of a nickel that's covered with rubber silicone. The big long slit used to turn that plastic in or out is underneath the silicone. Just make sure you make a mental note of how far the setting was originally by looking in the honeycomb part and seeing how much of the hole it was set at stock. Mine was actually more than half of the hole. You can keep backing it out until you have problems idling and then turn it back in a little.

As others have said, if you have problems idling while warming up the car in the mornings, you might also want to turn it in instead. Good luck.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Tiptronic
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC
    Quote Originally Posted by hourglass113

Yes! That part is not from Injen as shown in their Race Division CAI. That is the MAS or MAF adapter that is bolted on your stock air box with 4 nuts and also has the wire harness hooked up to it. Under that MAS is a round opening about the size of a nickel that's covered with rubber silicone. The big long slit used to turn that plastic in or out is underneath the silicone. Just make sure you make a mental note of how far the setting was originally by looking in the honeycomb part and seeing how much of the hole it was set at stock. Mine was actually more than half of the hole. You can keep backing it out until you have problems idling and then turn it back in a little.

As others have said, if you have problems idling while warming up the car in the mornings, you might also want to turn it in instead. Good luck.

great. just got my intake today, and when i install it tomorrow, i will do this at the same time. thanks guys

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123