The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cleaning your Throttle Body...

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    clone2020

Cleaning your Throttle Body...

THROTTLE BODY CLEANING
    1. Start the engine and warm it up until the coolant is heated to 80*C(176*F) or higher. Then stop the engine.
    2. Remove the air intake hose from the throttle body.
    CAUTION!!! DO NOT ALLOW CLEANING SOLVENT TO ENTER THE BYPASS PASSAGE.
    3. Plug the bypass passage inlet of the throttle body.
    4. Spray cleaning solvent into the valve through the throttle body intake port and leave it for approximately 5 minutes.
    5. Start the engine, rev it several times and then idle it for about 1 minute. If the idling speed becomes unstable (or if the engine stalls) due to the bypass passage being plugged, slightly open the throttle valve to keep the engine running.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some questions....

How much of the cleaner do I spray in the TB? The whole can?

When you spray the cleaner in the throttle body, does it flow into the combustion chambers? If so, can I spray cleaner in the cylinders through the spark plug wells?

-MIKE.

Elwenil
    Well first off, it will run down into the engine, but I believe that the Carb Cleaner has stuff in it that can really screw with your 02 sensor, so better use Throttle Body cleaner, there is a difference. And as a side note, you really should get a gasket and take the throttle body off to clean it properly, plus it doesn't get all the carbon funk down in your engine that way. I really wouldn't recommend spraying anything like that in the combustion chambers though. There is a such thing as Combustion Chamber Conditioner, but again, I think it screws with 02 sensors. Best thing you can do is get some Fuel Injector Cleaner. It will clean some of the stuff out of the combustion chamber on it's way out of the engine, as well as cleaning the injectors. Just make sure you follow the instructions with the Fuel Injector Cleaner, as some kinds are more concentrated than others, and really need to be put into a FULL tank of gas to keep from eating up your fuel systems O-rings. Just my .02

mjc1055
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elwenil)</div><div class='quotemain'> Best thing you can do is get some Fuel Injector Cleaner. Â*It will clean some of the stuff out of the combustion chamber on it's way out of the engine, as well as cleaning the injectors. Â*Just make sure you follow the instructions with the Fuel Injector Cleaner, as some kinds are more concentrated than others, and really need to be put into a FULL tank of gas to keep from eating up your fuel systems O-rings. Â*Just my .02</div>

Actually, I don't know how much truth there is behind this statement, but I understand that most major gasoline corporations now put some sort of solvent into their gas that cleans the injectors, eliminating the need for a drop in cleaner.

And El, man you say "just my .02" so much, you should just add it to your sig :laughing:

clone2020
    I'll just clean it by hand then.

Those "Miracle Cures/Additives/Cleaners" are so enticing. I "want" them to work so I think about buying it. Damn Psychology!!!

I should know better : )

-MIKE.

Elwenil
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjc1055)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually, I don't know how much truth there is behind this statement, but I understand that most major gasoline corporations now put some sort of solvent into their gas that cleans the injectors, eliminating the need for a drop in cleaner. Â*

And El, man you say "just my .02" so much, you should just add it to your sig Â*:laughing:</div>

Yeah, I base most of my knowledge on automotive chemicals from my days as a Mopar Parts Manager, and a Salesman at a Federated parts store. Mopar put out two fuel injector cleaners, both in the same style bottle, only one was white, and one was black. If I remember right, the white one was powerful stuff, and would eat the O-rings off your fuel rail if it wasn't diluted enough. I may be wrong about which bottle it was, but this was almost 10 years ago. I know they still sell it though. All BS aside, the manufacturers don't have much in there lines that could be concidered "snake oil", most of it is real good stuff. Expensive, but good, and I would take it over the parts store crap anyday. A bottle of STP Injector Cleaner just can't compare to the Mopar stuff.

And yeah, I think I might have to put "Just my .02" in my sig. Lol. It's my way of saying, "This works for me, but I know someone will tell you I'm an idiot."