The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I-4 weight/power vs V6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    Senior TGC Member
    Hehehe getting into it now are we I can be Daburally, the import king, servant of BGRbadi...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

99GalantOn18s

my 99 galant

wussup guys? maybe ya'll can help me... i gotta 99 galant es i4... i was drivin down i-95 and a v6 galant was next to me... we were both at the time doin around 45... he looked over at me and we both slammed it... by the time we were doin about 90 i could see his grill to my left... i was beating him by 1/2 car length... we slowed down again to about 70 and smashed it again... i was pullin away until i got to about 85... then we started creapin on me until about 100... after that i was doin about 120 and his front bumper was where my back bumper was, but on another lane... did ya'll understand that??? all i did to my car was an injen intake, apexi n1 exhaust, aem pulleys, and bosch platinum 4tips... and i waxed a v6... how is that possible?? the next day i told my dad and he raced me in his v6... he beat me off the line, when i got to about 55 i started gainin on him... y is my 0-60 suck ass... but i can beat a v6 if i'm already cruisin at like 50???? my galant has also beat a camaro rs with duals, a 4banger mustang, and v6 mustang, a big block hoomptie chevy with duals, and even a grand prix se... someone please tell me how to get my 0-60 up... i'd rather have that faster seein how i rarely drive 55-120 mph...

Senior TGC Member
    Maybe it's once at speed the lighter weight of a 4 makes it easier to pull, who knows...all I know is right now I can pretty much take out any slightly modded 4 banger Galant and stock V6s. If you wanna get better 0-60 times you could probably dump all of your power into the low end...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

99GalantOn18s

low end power??

how would u do that?? get a cam gear and set it for the low end of the rpm???

sebring95
    The V6 is weak in the top-end. Gasping for breath around 85mph. It feels fine under normal driving and darned quick to 60mph, but when you blast it at high speeds it just doesn't do much. I'd rather have the low-end acceleration myself, as I normally keep it under 80mph anyway. My sister-in-law has a Celica GTS and it will flat-out scoot at those high speeds, but you've got to keep the revs up. Dead off the line though. Unless you want a big-ass engine, it's tough to get something with both high and low-end power. I can assure you a vette feels ripe at either end.

Want more low end power? get a turbo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh well we just lost the Dragonball Z theme </div>

how'd i kill the theme? lol

sebring95
    Quote Originally Posted by VTGalantGTZ
    Gasping for breath?
    I pretty much only know what I read here (besides what I know from driving it), but the top end is where we have our best power. We are weak off the line, then somewhere in 3rd we start seeing some real power.
    Well I'll tell ya, mine sucks above 70. It's quite a rocket to that point though. Maybe I got a hot-one on low-end I don't know. I used to have V6 Camrys which all the tests I've read put the Galant V6 very close to the Camry V6 in 0-60mph testing. My Galant is substantially quicker to 60 than either of my three Camrys. But above 70, the Galant is much slower. I could go from 60-130mph in the Camry and it would happen very fast and effortlessly. I've never taken the galant much over 90-100mph because it just feels like it's gasping. I recently had a little race out a very hilly/curvy road with a 5.9L V8 Reg. Cab Dodge Dakota. In the handling department I kept up with him just fine, but trying to run at 90mph with him was a lot of work. He could pull away on most any small hill because the Galant was downshifting and still not gaining much. On the highway, pulling out to pass someone is no where near as quick as the Camrys were. It's almost comparable to my Cherokee on the top-end, at least in my car. But that makes me concerned about doing any performance mods because I don't want to lose my low-end. My Galant is quite quick for a sedan on the 0-60 type run, and I've driven much quicker vehicles. Maybe I'll try to time the 0-60, although I rarely get to drive it. Personally, I'm guessing it's in the 7-second range which is better than I remember any of the mags getting. I've timed my Cherokee to 60 in about 8.5 seconds and the Galant is noticably quicker than that.

my car is slow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12