The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I-4 weight/power vs V6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28
    Senior TGC Member

I-4 weight/power vs V6

Hey guys I was bored in macroeconomics today so I did a few calculations...a stock 4 banger has a power to weight ratio of about 9.3 to 9.5 without a driver (kg/hp). A loaded stock V6 with 4 passengers weighing 180 lbs each and a full tank of gas (about 110 lbs) has a power to weight ratio of about 9.4 to 9.6 (almost a tie). So I was wondering (and I don't want this to get out of hand with passionate debates but...in the pursuit of knowledge I must take risks) if the only advantage the inline has over the V6 is that there's more room to work with at a cheaper price and not a true weight advantage (in stock form)? It's already pretty much agreed in the end the V6 could probably put out more power for a higher cost so I dunno just a thought, seeking opinions and facts from more knowledgeable folks.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

it just comes down to the least common denominator... cash. you could build an 14 that would spank a v6. you could also build a v6 that would do the same thing to that same modded i4. how much money do you wanna drop? for a second i might have had the most powerful NA V6 but then you guys started getting parts and i don't doubt that i'd get smoked by a few of you... all good. i know that if TOC's original i4 was growing at the same pace it was b4 it went away, he'd b an undisputed v6 killer right now. point is the whole performance game is about money at the root. the fun is that if u spend enough on the i4 or v6 you can spank cars that will never see it coming... we are sleepers.

That's obviously true Reelax.

I don't think Rallifan that you can really compare the two or would be almost impossible to find the most ingenious way to get the most power:weight ratio of each and compare it.

As PinoyESV6 pointed out in one extreme example of the guy hacking apart his car to lighten it as much as he can without worrying about cosmetics or functionality so long as it had one driver seat and 4 wheels. Yes, it was even FREE mods, hacking and removing everything that is.

But if you wanted everything to look stock but get the most power:weight ratio, money will do that for you on custom everything. If you were limited to production aftermaket parts, then you options and combinations for each, I4/V6 are limited....... for now.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Tiller
    what the hell are you talking about...?

I4 ES - 21.9lbs / 1Hp
    V6 ES - 16.7lbs / 1hp

Where are you going with this...?

Mod for mod the V6 is going to beat out the I4, no matter what...

oh, no wonder those numbers by Rallifan threw me off. it's in kg. Uh, guess he wants to know what you can change that ratio to? LOL.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Tiller
    9.93 i4
    7.57 v6

in Kg's for you metric heads...

Senior TGC Member
    Honestly...I was probably wasted at the time I wrote it...I have no idea what I'm talking about :?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Tiller
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Honestly...I was probably wasted at the time I wrote it...I have no idea what I'm talking about Â*:?</div>

now it makes sense...

Senior TGC Member
    hehehe it's crystal clear now

toc8g
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i know that if TOC's original i4 was growing at the same pace it was b4 it went away, he'd b an undisputed v6 killer right now. </div>

:sad2: :cry: :cry: Don't remind me,....waaaawaaaaa!! Its a hard and long road on my new I-4 before I ever reach the power of my old G ride :cry:

Senior TGC Member
    The legendary Super Galant that surfaces once in every thousand years, unbeatable in racing...it makes the mighty Lord Skyline tremble and quake...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>what the hell are you talking about...?

I4 ES - 21.9lbs / 1Hp
    V6 ES - 16.7lbs / 1hp

Where are you going with this...? Â*

Mod for mod the V6 is going to beat out the I4, no matter what...</div>

yes agreed, mod for mod the v6 is more powerful... my point is that modding a v6 is also more expensive than modding the i4 when you start doing some mods like ones that are dictated by how many cylinders you have like headers, bottom end strengthening, injectors, wires, porting etc. it all depends on how much cash you are willing to drop. the v6 has a head start but money can equalize that.

toc8g
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>The legendary Super Galant that surfaces once in every thousand years, unbeatable in racing...it makes the mighty Lord Skyline tremble and quake...</div>

Mawahahhah, bwahahahah!!

Senior TGC Member
    Last resort we can always do a fusion of 4 and 6...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Last resort we can always do a fusion of 4 and 6...</div>

an W10?

4 straigh cylinders and two banks of three cylinders at 45 degrees?

hmmm interesting?

Senior TGC Member
    Oh well we just lost the Dragonball Z theme

Supernova
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh well we just lost the Dragonball Z theme </div>

Dang you Redgalant, I was about to join in.

Senior TGC Member
    Hehe join anyway We already have Majin TOC...

Supernova
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hehe join anyway We already have Majin TOC...</div>

Well in that case, I think I need to take my car to the "body shop of spirit and time"(known in US as the "Hyperbolic time chamber") to get fix up in a hurry(1 day in the shop = 1 year outside it). It sinces a very evil and powerful force being awoken.

toc8g
    Yeah Maybe I can wish the Silver Galant Back with the Earth's Dragon Balls since its never been wished back before!! :thumbsup: But while that is happening my new Majin Beast is under training to be even more powerfull!!!! bwahahahahahahah, mwahahahahahah!!!

Nextime on TGC,..Will MAjin TOC's old Galant be wished back on time or will his new evil menace to the V6 Kingdom be unleashed!!!????? Watch next time on T. G. C.!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast