The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: teach me the way of the turbo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25
    TGC Regular

teach me the way of the turbo!

ok, i don't know much about turbo. i have no idea what all goes into having one setup.

i looked up a turbo kit for my altima and this is the list i found of what one contains.

FMAX Altima Turbo Kits Include:
    - Turbonetics T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo
    - Thermocoated Cast-Steel Turbo Manifold
    - Thermocoated Mandrel-Bent Downpipe
    - Turbonetics Evolution 35mm Wastegate
    - 3" 16 Gauge Mandrel Bent Intake Pipe
    - Spearco W.A.V.E Front-Mount Intercooler
    - Nissan 370CC Fuel Injectors (4)
    - Turbonetics Raptor Bypass Valve (BOV)
    - AUTO METER Boost Gauge Kit
    - Turbonetics Boost Controller
    - K&N Air Filter
    - (1) Case TS-1 Synthetic Turbo Oil
    - Install Instructions & Wiring Diagrams
    - All Necessary Hardware & Fittings

could someone please break that down for me so i know what everything does? i want to piece together my own turbo.

and is this a good turbo? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2459422012

sethmo
    I dont feel like explaining EVERYTHING. Ask a question and I will answer

The T3/T4 turbo is a descent turbo, and is used by a LOT of people. Myself, I am more partial to Mtisu and Mitsu hybrid turbos. I am going to go with a SBR 20g or a PTE 50trim, havent descided yet...

fucka T3/T4. FP3065 is the way to go.

And I own turbo knowledge. Don't f*ck with me.

you two foolz are always going at it when it comes to the knowledge of turbos.....lol

Re: teach me the way of the turbo!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proud Galant Driver)</div><div class='quotemain'>FMAX Altima Turbo Kits Include:
    - K&N Air Filter
    - All Necessary Hardware & Fittings</div>
    1. T3/T4: Actual turbo. This compresses your intake air, in a sense creating "backpressure" in your intake. Uses exhaust gases to spin a compressor that compresses the air. Of course, that's the uber-dumbed down version of it, but people have written entire books on turbos, so go check out one of those. I still need to pick mine up.
    2. Turbo manifold: replaces the header/exhaust manifold in a turbo car. Directs the gases from the 4/6/8 whatever cylinders into the turbine of theWturbo, spinning the compressor.
    3. Downpipe: Takes gases away from turbo and puts them into your exhaust system.
    4. wastegate: adjusts the amount of exhaust gas actually reaching the turbine, keeping the compressor from spinning out of control. Boost pressure can be adjusted by adjusting when the wastegate opens.
    5. Intake pipe: duh. Takes the pressurized air into the IM
    6. Intercooler: can be either liquid to air or air to air. Air to air is most common. cools off the intake charge, because air that is compressed becomes hot. Remember PV=nRT? That applies here.
    7. Fuel injectors: Just because you get more air in your engine doesn't mean you're making more power. You need to supply a proportional amount of fuel. Remember, the fuel makes the power. The air just lets it burn...but you're limited by the amount of air you can fit in the cylinders.
    8. BOV: blow off valve, prevents compressor surge by releasing boost pressure when the throttle plate is closed.
    9: Boost gauge: how much boost you're running
    10: Boost controller: adjusts the vaccuum in the wastegate vaccum line, either manually or electronically, to adjust when the wastegate opens.
    11. The rest shouldn't be hard to figure out. I'm sure there's a post on turbocharging somewhere on here. If there's not, i'll make one sometime.

Drew, Good job. That about covers it.

Now about your sig...What was that advice you gave me earlier about fueling a fire?? Honestly, I was laughing so hard I almoost couldn't read the turbo information.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

leadfoot

Re: teach me the way of the turbo!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proud Galant Driver)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok, i don't know much about turbo. i have no idea what all goes into having one setup.

i looked up a turbo kit for my altima and this is the list i found of what one contains.

FMAX Altima Turbo Kits Include:
    - K&N Air Filter
    - All Necessary Hardware & Fittings

could someone please break that down for me so i know what everything does? i want to piece together my own turbo.

and is this a good turbo?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=2459422 012</div>

go to rippmods.com and look up the galant superchagerd the 1.5 is pushing 322hp on the i4 with a stock galant. and this translated into 270whp and the same in torgue i was reading an article and they say the the ripp S/C it's like driving a big block car no turbo lag or anything, instant power. if you want crazy amounts of power and know alot about turbos and dont mind having to work on your car more often then with a S/C then go for it.

P.S i have heard bad things from the F-MAX turbo for the altima

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Drew, Good job. That about covers it.

Now about your sig...What was that advice you gave me earlier about fueling a fire?? Honestly, I was laughing so hard I almoost couldn't read the turbo information. Â* Â*</div>'
    nah, me and mike are cool with each other. I just give him a lot of shit. I guess i missed the latest drama on GF...fill me in sometime!

Best way to learn about turbochargershow stuff works.com version

It maynot break down what all the parts do but you will get a serious idea

sethmo
    Yah thats a good website to show you how things work. Pretty cool, I learned how rotary engines worked awhile ago. Neat stuff

ken inn
    i wouldnt do it if i were you. i would buy a factory tubo car from the get go. rather than look at what you get, you should consider what you DONT get. probably THE most important is tuning. the n/a ecu is WAY different. you need to have the ecu KNOW when to change stuff like knock, timing, and fuel. boost control too, unless you really know what you are doing. most n/a motors have high compression, and no knock sensor. that alone is flirting with disaster. also, the altima is fwd, the WORST type of drivetrain to turbo/supercharge. if you dont have equal length axles, you will get torque steer up the butt. i remember the old dodge omni glh, if you stomped on it, it would accelerate pretty good, then the turbo would kick in, and really throw you back, but at the same time, the torque steer would make it jump in the right lane, and if there was no right lane, it would jump into the ditch. my old mazda 323gt(1.6 dohc turbo, fwd) would spin the tires ALL the time. the other car, basically the same(323gtx, 1.6 dohc turbo awd) would NEVER spin the tires. even our millenia(2.3 dohc supercharged, fwd) will spin the tires, and it has traction control. heck, my sons nissan ser spec-v can spin the tires, n/a and lsd. so, fwd cars might get tons of power at the wheels, but you will NEVER be able to hook up. some of the other problems are, with the extra power, now stuff like the transmission, axles, cv joints, motor mounts, start to break. factory turbo/supercharged cars have heavier duty parts on them to protect against this. motors are built with more safety features, like bigger/stronger wrist pins, oil squirters, lower compression, better valves, different profile cams, and stuff like that. for about the same price of an altima, you can get an srt-4, which i hear the new ones have a quaife. for a little bit more, a wrx, and evo 8, or sti. i just got offered a new evo 8 for 25900. they are not selling well, same with the sti. check out the fastest dsm's, see how many are fwd.

sethmo
    Ive seen a FWD 1g run 9s 1/4 with wheelie bar, slicks, and suspension I am sure.

So do not say FWD will NEVER hook up. Maybe on the street, but not on the track

TGC Regular
    well, i already own the altima. i will be piecing my turbo together instead of buying a kit. and i am sure i can find an ecu that will work from a turbo nissan. right now im just doing research. nothing in stone yet. first i gotta pay off the car, get some rims, and then its onto performance.

and yeah its fwd. but i can put some good tires on, and if i dont have the lsd like i have been told i can always get one out of another altima. but hopefully i already have it

and you guys turbo and s/c your fwd galants all the time. i don't see the diff between that and my altima? :?

ken, don't give into the idea that "lower compression is better on a turbo motor." That's wrong, plain and simple.

sethmo
    Lower compression isnt always better, but it is definitely better to turbo a low comp motor than a high comp motor.

They do make aftermarket LSDs which would be way better than stock. I doubt you have a stock LSD. Way to find out: Do a burnout, if both tires spin easily then you have LSD. If only the drive wheel spins then you dont :lauging:

Quote Originally Posted by sethmo
    Lower compression isnt always better, but it is definitely better to turbo a low comp motor than a high comp motor.
    not true. If you want to get into it, we can

sethmo
    So you would rather run 4lbs of boost on 12:1 compression rather than running morelike 15lbs on 8:5.1

So you would rather run 4lbs of boost on 12:1 compression rather than running morelike 15lbs on 8:5.1
    no, but i would rather run 15lbs on 12:1, being very well tuned and properly built. It's more than possible. Don't say always, that excludes a lot of things.

sethmo
    lmao 15lbs of boost + 12:1 compression = detonation. If you want to run that much boost on that high of compression your motor better be built, and you better have more than a SAFC to tune with :lauging:

lmao 15lbs of boost + 12:1 compression = detonation. If you want to run that much boost on that high of compression your motor better be built, and you better have more than a SAFC to tune with :lauging:
    that's what hondata is for, or GReddy E-manage. I know of three different RSX's in st louis running between 14 and 17lbs with a T3/T04e on 11.6:1 compression, 12:1 compression, and a "full race" (so he claims) built 14:1 compression. Ever heard of alchohol, methanol, or water injection? Or liquid to air intercoolers?

Top fuel dragsters run 16:1 compression under 55lbs boost...granted that is with nitromethane as fuel, and the fuel mixture is actually compressed into a nearly solid form when it is compressed by the piston, but still goes to show that anything is possible....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast