The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Going Turbo (NEW POLL)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 35 of 35
    i wouldn't go so far as to say the 4g63 is a better platform than the 4g64 in terms of boost (i'd suggest asking magnusmotorsports) but in stock form, unbuilt, without a doubt, the 4g63T will handle more than the 4g64. it is built stronger from the factory, it's as simple as that. if you're going to build it, i'd say it is arguable either way because noone has taken a 4g64 as far, from what i know. but if you're going to built it, the 4g64 will very likely be more expensive than an unbuilt 4g63T.

like proud galant driver said, do your research, that is the most important thing. i AM a genius, IQ 164 (forgive me for acting arrogant, but let me get to my point) but that has nothing to do with building up a car. the biggest brain in the world isn't going to help you if you don't know what you are doing. so research everything you possibly can, and i really really really suggest doing a whole lot of research into tuning, because it can be very difficult to get your car into a good state of tune, and if it's not in a good state of tune, you may find yourself very depressed. i recently have discovered that the s-afc is not suitable for my needs in tuning, it simply is not enough to tune properly with 750cc injectors. my choices are to get an eprom encoded for the size injectors i have and then tune with the safc, or get the dsmlink and be able to tune better than the safc(i can't afford the aem ems, and i think it's a bit overkill for my application). if i get the dsmlink, i will have to sell my s-afc as well as my ecu, and the wiring harness in my car will have to be swapped out again. wiring is really not much fun.

so, research ahead, think ahead, and plan for your goal properly so that you don't buy crap that you're gunna have to get rid of anyways. for example, i had gotten a 1g bov since everyone says "oh yeah, 1g bov is all you'll ever need, yadda yadda yada." well, it's not, even if you get the dejontool stop-leak kit for it, you may need more than that to be able to relieve the pressure in the pipes fast enough to prevent surge.

don't forget to research what you will need in addition for turboing, for example, if you are doing the 4g64 turbo, you may still need the eclipse ecu as well as a knock sensor. in addition to the i/c and i/c piping which i'm sure you know you'll need, you will probably also want to get a hard intake pipe, as well as an open air filter. 450cc injectors, maybe a fuel pump also.

as scootin said, don't take on the ordeal if you don't have the finances to permit you to get everything necessary. you don't want to bolt on parts haphazardly, you need to know what is going on with your car. that also brings to mind, you'll need a boost gauge, and perhaps some other gauges such as fuel pressure and oil pressure. those are important things in turbo cars.

TGC Regular
    the 4g63t was designed to handle boost. i don't think the 4g64 was.

4g63t = loads of aftermarket support thus can reach higher numbers

4g64 = more displacement and more torgue however its hp expanability is limited by a semi lack of aftermarket support.

if i were you i would do the 4g63t swap and the tranny swap. im sure you can pick up a wrecked talon or something and take out the engine and tranny. just hunt around and you can get good prices. you will need to go an ecu for the 4g63t too and im pretty sure you will need a wiring harness.

and how much money are you looking to invest here?

wow, no one wants to listen do they?

4G64: (A 2.4L 4G63? Yep.)
    Stepping the ante up one more time in the quest for more hp, we developed the 2.4L DOHC 4G63/4G64 engine swap for 1st and 2nd generation DSM's. Providing more than 130 extra ft/lbs of torque and 50 more hp. Piloted our race car to an astonishing 10.06 @ 140 mph without the aid of Nitrous, and a new best of 9.623 second ET with a 152mph BEST. Still being able to rev until 8500 RPM.

when you talk about building your block, i hope you mean also swapping your head, and if you do, then pretty much any aftermarket for the 4g63T will work for your 4g64 block/4g63 head. the problem with the '64 isn't that you can't get enough power, or you can't rev high enough (unless maybe you're planning on revving to 9k-10k?) and it's not a lack of support. the problem is $$$. plain and simple. a properly built '64 costs a bit of money more than the 4g63t.

magnus also sells built '64 blocks, which is the option i would love to take, if i had about $4500 lol.

Experienced TGC Member
    Its much cheaper to swap to a 4g63t. As far as support for g63 in aftermarket world...g64 can use a lot of the parts as well. I spent about a year collecting parts little by little off ebay for my headswap while I researched researched researched (and helped moosh do his before doing my own to plan for any lil problems we ran into)... I totalled up with shipping costs included it was around 1500 to swap heads for me. You could grab a whole 4g63t for that price! Unfortunetly I dont have the room or means to take a whole engine and store it..

If cost is a factor for u....the 4g63swap is the best way to go. If your lookin to build up lil by lil and spend a shitload, 4g64 would be a better route. Look at magnus running way high hp 4g64/63 hybirds.... But then again look at the pics of their project cars..they are on a whole nother level buildin real drag cars from the ground up, unlike us with our daily drivers.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Boosted 4G63T galant
    I've got a 94 with a 4g63T and Full built Level Ten Tranny ( Stage 3) @ 16psi no problems what so ever. Plus its great not to haev to shift in traffic!!!

leadfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    actually, an auto is better then 5spd. if you upgrade your auto you can make it shift faster then ANY human in the world could shift a 5spd. i know you can set them to shift at just the right time. and i believe that they have a way so you can rev it up to spool the turbo and get a better launch without doing a neutral drop. not sure though.

they make those kits for my altima but i don't know if they make it for the galants or not.

but in the end, unless your going for the best possible time on the 1/4 you can a 5spd is just plain cooler. when a hooked up car comes up to me, the first thing i check is if its a 5spd.

auto = no respect unless its built up for racing. otherwise its like some 17 year old highschool kid who had his mommy and daddy buy him a car and hook it up but he can't drive stick so he has auto and he drives it like the fastest car in the world.

5spd is just more fun!!!
    torque converter you can get them from level 10 and set the "stall speed" at any rpm you want.

Boosted 4G63T galant
    Thats' what I had them do for me. I car spools up and the converter locks and you are GONE

Experienced TGC Member

Re: Going Turbo (NEW POLL)

Quote Originally Posted by GalantGuy96
    well..this summer i have decided to turbo my car, but then i realized i would have to drop a lot more money to get a 5spd swap.
    i heard of some poeple turbo'ing there auto's, but i thought it would be the stupidest thing.
    so should i do the 5spd swap and get the turbo maybe next year?
    or should i just turbo the auto?
    Like what Leicoolya said theirs nothing wrong with running a UPGRADED auto. In fact it might even be faster than a 5 spd in some cases when you hit boost (and subsequently redline) way to fast to be able to shift a manual yourself (then again the only people who seem have to have a problem with this are running sub 10s).

Also you should keep your block and swap out the head with the 4g63t head. Go on club3g.org for more info about this.

And finally your poll suggesst you have enough money to do any of these. Do you? A new engine will cost a HELL of a lot, and will take quite a while to find.

brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    A new engine will cost a HELL of a lot, and will take quite a while to find.
    Not necessarily... your local junkyards or the national one known as ebay can help.

sethmo
    7gs are different then 8gs man. 8g has the "show" attribute down with the buttload of bodykits out for it and what not. 7gs have the "speed" factor. Engine + tranny swap will cost you $2500-3000. Turboing the '64 will cost you $1500-2000 with stock parts.

My engine was $1600 shipped and www.mitsuparts.net has them for $1500 shipped. Not too shabby for a 6bolt...

Experienced TGC Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    Not necessarily... your local junkyards or the national one known as ebay can help.
    LOL nm. The reason I was thinking about the motor being expensive and all is because the 8G/3G i4 guys can only use certain 4g63 blocks (like EVO gens 4-7).

DAMN YOU, damn you and your 4G63 block 7Gs!!!

Wait a second. Looks like he has a 64 block. So what I said above might hold true. In fact it looks like the 2nd gen eclipse might not even work.

Now this is the for the 4G64 out of a 3G....
    Here's how it works for people who dont know:
    1G Motor - 4G63 Engine Code (opposite orientation from our cars)
    2G Motor - 4G63 Engine Code (opposite orientation from our cars)
    NON-turbo DSM Motor - 420A Engine Code (SAME orientation as our cars but nothing else is similar - it's a Neon motor)
    2G NT Spyder - 4G64 Engine Code (opposite orientation from our cars)
    EVO 1-3 Motor - 4G63 Engine Code (opposite orientation from our cars)
    EVO 4-7 Motor - 4G63 Engine Code (SAME orientation as our cars)
    RS/GS Motor - 4G64 Engine Code
    GT Motor - 6G72 Engine Code (will NOT fit any of the above engines)
    Posted by RyanS.
    http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=52035

brandon
    For 7Gs, which galantguy96 is... you can swap in a 1G/2G Talon/Eclipse, Laser, or GVR4 motor (all 4G63t) OR use most all stock turbo parts from any of those cars on the 4G64.

For 8Gs, you guys can obviously use the parts from those, but wouldn't be able to swap those motors in... you have to use an Evo motor because of the orientation.

3G Eclipse incurs the same issues.

sethmo

Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    LOL nm. The reason I was thinking about the motor being expensive and all is because the 8G/3G i4 guys can only use certain 4g63 blocks (like EVO gens 4-7).

DAMN YOU, damn you and your 4G63 block 7Gs!!!

Wait a second. Looks like he has a 64 block. So what I said above might hold true. In fact it looks like the 2nd gen eclipse might not even work.

Now this is the for the 4G64 out of a 3G....
    Here's how it works for people who dont know:
    1G Motor - 4G63 Engine Code (opposite orientation from our cars)
    2G Motor - 4G63 Engine Code (opposite orientation from our cars)
    NON-turbo DSM Motor - 420A Engine Code (SAME orientation as our cars but nothing else is similar - it's a Neon motor)
    2G NT Spyder - 4G64 Engine Code (opposite orientation from our cars)
    EVO 1-3 Motor - 4G63 Engine Code (opposite orientation from our cars)
    EVO 4-7 Motor - 4G63 Engine Code (SAME orientation as our cars)
    RS/GS Motor - 4G64 Engine Code
    GT Motor - 6G72 Engine Code (will NOT fit any of the above engines)
    Posted by RyanS.
    http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/s...threadid=52035
    Please shut your mouth now. The 7g motor is not setup like the 8g motor. I figured you would have at least looked at a 7g engine bay before you go and make up these assumptions that 2g 4g63ts will not fit. If that was true 1g motors wouldnt fit either. But that obviously isnt true as I have a 1g 4g63t and it fits fine...

agreeing with brandon and sethmo here... all the guys who have dropped 4g63 engines into their 7g as far as i know have 1g/2g t/e/l or gvr-4 engines just like those guys said. also the earlier EVO motors were also a posisble swap.

3g eclipse is like an 8g in the way the engine is setup (timing belt the wrong way ) and they have to use the later EVO motors as was said.

personally, if i had an 8g (i'm not sure if the head swap is possible, but if it were) i would prefer having a 2.4l in that car b.c of its weight. my dad has an 8g, and even when my car was stock, i always didn't like driving his car because it was too heavy off the line. it really needs some low end power. then again, personally because of that issue, i think my favorite 8g would be a v-6 s/c, even though i love turbos so much. (actually, i would prefer a dually system, s/c and turbo, but i'm pretty sure none exists lol)

Experienced TGC Member

Quote Originally Posted by sethmo
    Please shut your mouth now. The 7g motor is not setup like the 8g motor. I figured you would have at least looked at a 7g engine bay before you go and make up these assumptions that 2g 4g63ts will not fit. If that was true 1g motors wouldnt fit either. But that obviously isnt true as I have a 1g 4g63t and it fits fine...
    I suppose your correct...though I don't know why it required a whole paragraph to say "No, you [Jet Black] are incorrect." Lets not start acting like some prepubacent girls here. "Anti-Drama Team Captain"...

Also Sebaz, while the i4 might have a slight weight advantage, its still way to heavy to make any real differance. The weight distribution for the v6 is 62:38, and the i4 is 61:39, so either way its pretty bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12