The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: weird noises

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

weird noises

Hey whats up guys. I just got my galant not too long ago. It's a 95 galant s m/t. When i downshift .. usually from 3rd to 2nd or 4th to 3rd i hear a pretty loud knocking noise.. anyone have any ideas what it could be from?.. thanks
    95 Galant S ~> 5 Speed Manual

Kain
    You're engine rolling back and forth. Get new motor mounts.

Does anyone know how much motor mounts for a 95 Galant S m/t cost more or less and any good places where I can order from?

Kain
    They're about $40 each from the Dealership. You could try NAPA if you're cheap. They'd probably be closer to $20 each, but you get what you pay for... The M/T front one is cheaper than the A/T, but otherwise the others are the same.

How many do i need?

Kain
    How many are bad? Usually the front and back ones are the only ones that really break. Though, if you drive long enough with bad mounts, the side and transmission mounts will go bad as wel. Look at them, if they're torn or "squished" they need to be replaced

If its not the motor mounts, what else could it possilby be?

Kain
    Hmm, I'd have to hear more description of the "knocking" noise. I just assumed it's motor mounts because when people complain of a noise at shift points, its nearly always the mounts.