The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    TWISTED II
    yeah, turbo the 6G72 and run 5 lbs and maybe beat an Si with intake and exhaust. nice plan. its not worth turboing the 6G72 unless you wanna spend waaay too much money, or, you wanna run low boost and just buy it for the blow off 'swoosh'. ehem, leicoolya, ehem. it all depends on what ya wanna do. if you are leaving stock internals, and just want a little oomph, i guess go turbo. it can be done obviously. but if you want reliable, consistant power, with a lot less BS, i'd personally go SDS. believe me, i've put a lot of wrench time and mental time into this car. to see any significant gains out of a turbo, you NEED to do a 5 spd swap, because there's no EMS you can use with the auto. excpet maybe the new HKS one which i think runs for about 4-5 grand. hmph. so thats some money right there. or, you can get the SDS and run way more boost than your internals can handle with no problem, except the fact your internals can't handle it, which has nothing to do with anything really. but in any event, i think everyone knows i've contemplated every option many times. i went from single turbo, to TT, back to single, then finally to SDS. if i had my galant still, i would have gone SDS. just my opinion. and btw, if i went SDS on my G, i woulda smoked an STi. either way, research all options, and really know what your doing before you start gettin crazy and throwin codes and breakin stuff.

u sold ur G finally!?!?!!??! whyyyyy ahhh u suck hahaha u actually went through with turbos at some time? :shock: i didnt know that!
    Diego

TWISTED II
    no no no, mentally. thinking about pros and cons etc.... i never got FI.

Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED!
    yeah, turbo the 6G72 and run 5 lbs and maybe beat an Si with intake and exhaust. nice plan. its not worth turboing the 6G72 unless you wanna spend waaay too much money, or, you wanna run low boost and just buy it for the blow off 'swoosh'. ehem, leicoolya, ehem. it all depends on what ya wanna do. if you are leaving stock internals, and just want a little oomph, i guess go turbo. it can be done obviously. but if you want reliable, consistant power, with a lot less BS, i'd personally go SDS. believe me, i've put a lot of wrench time and mental time into this car. to see any significant gains out of a turbo, you NEED to do a 5 spd swap, because there's no EMS you can use with the auto. excpet maybe the new HKS one which i think runs for about 4-5 grand. hmph. so thats some money right there. or, you can get the SDS and run way more boost than your internals can handle with no problem, except the fact your internals can't handle it, which has nothing to do with anything really. but in any event, i think everyone knows i've contemplated every option many times. i went from single turbo, to TT, back to single, then finally to SDS. if i had my galant still, i would have gone SDS. just my opinion. and btw, if i went SDS on my G, i woulda smoked an STi. either way, research all options, and really know what your doing before you start gettin crazy and throwin codes and breakin stuff.
    Wow taking a shot at someone that has done something YOU couldn't....man you need to take your little research and stick it up your ass!!! I've been beating more then just SI's....on my stock internals i dynoed at 272 hp and 290 tq....so coming from someone that has never had any kind of FI on the 6g72 really doesn't mean shit.....i think you need to stop hating casue i did something you only wish you could do!!!!
    and the Unichip...oh yea have you heard of that smart guy? has been working awesome....

Are there any companies right now that is offering a turbo/twin turbo kit for the 6g72? Just curious. I believe Leeicoolyas company that he got his kit from went under.

Thanks.
    Love,
    Matt

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leicoolya
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    I did notice his screen name has "V6" in it...

I'd say your best bet to get the answers your looking for (other than research of course), would be to contact the guy who owns this page:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/404874

I forget his s/n on here...
    i also just saw the dual exhaust in his avatar, so if you're a V6, you can't turbo. i mean, you can, but that's like saying you can drop a W18 into a civic, you just can't. you want to supercharge, Vegasmatt and one other guy are supercharged from SDS. good power gains, you can outrun Evos and STis
    can't turbo the 6g72 huh??? just like everyone else said WTF!!! i've been turboed for over 10,000 miles and never had any problems. It can be done if you know what the hell your doing, so stop buying into Ross and he's bullshit about turboing the 6g72...So yes you need to do some research before you open your Cock Holster!!! And i'm still not buying that a Galant SDS can beat a STI!!!!
    You and how many other 6G72s are turboed?...VERY FEW. While its not impossible to turbo this block, it MOS DEF is not a project for layman. Everthing from "adaptive ECU" (which seems to be the #1 problem), shitty manifold design, to ambient exhaust heat messing with the slushbox.

Theirs someone on club3g whos taking on turboing his car, and he has to CUSTOM build his exhaust manifold. Now galantv600, if you know how to custom build exhaust manifolds so that their not so close to the tranny, then by all means go ahead.

Basicly what were trying to tell you is that its futile. Listen to Scootin, he knows his shit.

Also Leicoolya, the differance between you and Twisted, is that he tried to build his OWN turbo kit. You bought yours from a now-defunct company.

GalantV600, if your still dead set on turbo. AND you have some mad $$$, go take a look at this thread:
    http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...threadid=162019
    Though in the end i can bet that turbo will cost a whole lot more than RIPP's SDS. While his SDS is by no means cheap (then again the TT for the VQ35DE block is going for around 8k+), it is VERY reliable, and will probably cost less money in the long run.
    Also if you don't believe me, Scooting, or Twisted. Read this thread:
    http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...threadid=161744
    Everything I said above is directly drawn from this thread.

BTW VegasMatt: I looked on club3g, and their in fact NO turbo kits out for the car as of now. API tech has been working on one for quite a while now, and havn't had much progress.

Experienced TGC Member
    And one last thing leicoolya, what this about not having any problems while on GF your talking about your tq going bad (@ 6psi)...

i guess i'll give my opinion on this:

turbo or sds either way you risk damaging something...i've heard bad stories from either way and i've heard someone on this board has gone through 2 engines already because of the SDS and has actually taken it out...it's what i've heard.

being someone who likes to do what people say cant be done i'm sticking with leicoolya on this one. yes, it's not easy but the whole trick to it is proper planning and ENGINE MANAGEMENT. you guys are saying ti cant be done which is bullshit, you guys are looking at this too complicated. ANY engine can be turboed with some work. your gonna tell me that there are NO V6 engines in the world that arent turbo? gimme a break. the problem is many people here dont wanna do any work and want the easiest route. fine. go follow the flock and disappear in the crowd, but i for one will take the HARDER route just to be different and be an inovater not an imititator.

im "done" for a while....i need to pay off bills, but you can be sure that you'll see something new from me in a year or two. maybe i'll leave off where twisted left off and go with a twin setup, or i'll follow suit to leicoolya.

just my .02 cents.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanaticsâ„¢ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cali

turbo or sds either way you risk damaging something...i've heard bad stories from either way and i've heard someone on this board has gone through 2 engines already because of the SDS and has actually taken it out...it's what i've heard.
    Are you referring to me? hehehe....
    Love,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali

Are you referring to me? hehehe....
    lol i didnt want to say any names...didnt know if it was hush hush.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanaticsâ„¢ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

The problem was with the HKS AFR installation, at WOT was causing it to run lean and ending in catastrophic failure (plus nobody in Vegas really knows how to tune a car). And I only blew one engine which is currently getting rebuilt, I didnt feel confident with the new engine that I got that it would support the SDS thru a Vegas summer, so I took it out for now. Wait until fall then I should have the new engine completed and SDS put back on with other of Ross's goodies.
    Love,
    Matt

jet black...i only said i never had any engine problems....i blew my tranny after 10,000 miles...and only 6psi...yea but i was still pushing some good numbers so you can't say shit there...
    my enegine never ever gave me 1 problem when i was running stock internals when i was tuned...it took 3 times but after it was done right the car ran like a dream....
    so it does take some time and money to get the car to run right....
    look at matt's car...bad tuning and BOOM....
    so for everyone that thought the sds was a perfect system needs to wake the hell up.....anything can run great with tuning!!!!!
    you can't just throw on a turbo or a sds and think its going run right...
    I wish Xtech was still in business, but they made some poor decisions and got in debt way to fast...but they took care of me....

Are there any companies right now that is offering a turbo/twin turbo kit for the 6g72? Just curious. I believe Leeicoolyas company that he got his kit from went under.

Thanks.
    Check w/ XS engineering Matt. I know I saw post here before that they have a kit for the 4 & the 6!!!
    What bout a custom one Matt? Dont have any faith on JDM Empire? Not impress w/ Universe Sounds drag car :?:

Have you gotten my voicemail or private message?
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leicoolya
    jet black...i only said i never had any engine problems....i blew my tranny after 10,000 miles...and only 6psi...yea but i was still pushing some good numbers so you can't say shit there...
    my enegine never ever gave me 1 problem when i was running stock internals when i was tuned...it took 3 times but after it was done right the car ran like a dream....
    so it does take some time and money to get the car to run right....
    look at matt's car...bad tuning and BOOM....
    so for everyone that thought the sds was a perfect system needs to wake the hell up.....anything can run great with tuning!!!!!
    you can't just throw on a turbo or a sds and think its going run right...
    I wish Xtech was still in business, but they made some poor decisions and got in debt way to fast...but they took care of me....
    Well ya obviously its not perfect but it probably damn near close. As RIPP himself put it: "320 SDS kits vs ~6 Turbo kits". Now don't get me wrong, me being a strereotypical boy racer, I'am naturually inclined to go turbo (with a loud as fuck bov). But theirs probably a good reason he [Ross] choose s/cing instead of turboeing.

As for the engine problems, he even said that the block is actually quite strong (possibly stronger than the VR4 block's internals/not counting the metal comp.). But tranny problems is something he guaranteed due to ambient heat + surge spikes. I mean if the SDS was a horrible POS, people over at Club3g would have bad mouthed RIPP out of buisness. Shit just read their thread when their talking to API tech.

After reading all the arguments about SDS vs turbo blah blah blah, in my opinion it seems to come down to tuning - SDS has the advantage of the "black box", while a turbo has to be properly tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. Also, it looks to be that companies trying to produce a turbo kit for the V6 have not had luck not with their kits, but with keeping their business afloat. I'm still keeping an eye on the turbo projects from API and the twin turbo project down under.

Speaking of "black box"
    The problem was with the HKS AFR installation, at WOT was causing it to run lean and ending in catastrophic failure (plus nobody in Vegas really knows how to tune a car).
    Matt, did your SDS install not come with the "black box"? Does it have it now?

No black box for the V6 was offered.
    Love,
    Matt

No black box for the V6 was offered.
    You mean that when you installed your SDS, there was no black box, or that you declined to have the black box installed?

Do you have one now, or are you still running with the AFR?

There is no black box tuning for the V6, Ross has picked the HKS AFR for our cars. I had the black box but Ross switched it out for the HKS unit. The only bad thing about the HKS unit is nobody where I live can tune it. Vegas has a one set mind on the Apexi AFC for some reason.
    Not Factor X, LDL, LV Motorsports or JDMEmpire.
    Love,
    Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is no black box tuning for the V6, Â*Ross has picked the HKS AFR for our cars. Â*I had the black box but Ross switched it out for the HKS unit. Â*The only bad thing about the HKS unit is nobody where I live can tune it. Â*Vegas has a one set mind on the Apexi AFC for some reason.
    Not Factor X, LDL, LV Motorsports or JDMEmpire.</div>

So wait Matt. If you are not running a BB how do you conqouer the Adaptive ECU unit problem that everyone is taking about. If the HKS AFR runs it can't then be used as well with a turbo?

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Kwiksix
    why dont you get the greybox from ripp it has a faster processor and works fine on auto's and sportronics.It would only be a $350 upgrade if you send them your afr.
    Also the reason why there is even an option to s/c is because ross put on a turbo kit on a customers car and it blew when he called ddp to get answers he got the run around to make a long story short the guys at ddp told ross that s/c our engines could'nt be done so ross wanted to prove them wrong and he did in a big way!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12