The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Boost controller necessary?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    brandon

Boost controller necessary?

So I've read that the stock wastegate on the 14b holds 7-8 lbs of boost. Can anyone confirm that?

I've also read I should be safe (as far as internals are concerned) at that boost level.

Does anyone think I need a boost controller or would I be safe without one, running the stock wastegate?

As always, thanks for the input.

a boost controller won't allow you to lower boost, it will only allow you to raise it from the wastegate setting. the only way i know of to properly lower your boost from having the vacuum hose direct to the wastegate, is to change the wastegate spring for a lower setting. you may also need to change the wastegate flapper/wastegate to one of a larger size to allow more exhaust to bypass the turbine wheel.

sethmo
    May as well buy a MBC, they are only like $20-30...

I thought 1gs ran 13-15psi?

i don't remember the exact numbers, but there are 2 numbers of what they run stock. the lower number (probably around 7-9) is what the wastegate spring is set at. the second number (around 11 i believe) is what the stock boost controller sets it at. (they came with a boost control solenoid, an electronic bleeder boost controller)

brandon
    Thanks for the info... definitely helps.

I was told another option would be to get an external gate.

8ggalant
    seth i thing yer thinkin about what 1g's run on high boost with stock injectors...thats 15-16 psi

ken inn
    no, he's correct. 1g is about 7-8 lbs, stock is 10.5, which is controlled by the boost controller. when ecu pulls timing and boost because of knock, boost goes to the lower setting. otherwise, it is at 10.5. 2g is higher.

TGC Regular
    id go with a boost controller. why settle for 8psi when you can go even higher? higer psi=more power...

sethmo
    But not on stock A/T and internals...

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sethmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>But not on stock A/T and internals...</div>

ohhhh

ken inn
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    id go with a boost controller. why settle for 8psi when you can go even higher? higer psi=more power...
    AAAHAHAHAHAHA. fall down, go boom.

8ggalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ken inn
    no, he's correct. 1g is about 7-8 lbs, stock is 10.5, which is controlled by the boost controller. when ecu pulls timing and boost because of knock, boost goes to the lower setting. otherwise, it is at 10.5. 2g is higher.

??....he's right about what?

ken inn
    i don't remember the exact numbers, but there are 2 numbers of what they run stock. the lower number (probably around 7-9) is what the wastegate spring is set at. the second number (around 11 i believe) is what the stock boost controller sets it at. (they came with a boost control solenoid, an electronic bleeder boost controller)

he's right about this. 2g cars run about 15 lbs boost. 1g is 10.5. the higher boost is possible because of the boost control solenoid.

8ggalant
    Quote Originally Posted by ken inn

he's right about this. 2g cars run about 15 lbs boost. 1g is 10.5. the higher boost is possible because of the boost control solenoid.
    ok ...i understand now