The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trans problem or somehting else?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 35 of 35
    I have a question....since everyone is having problems with rebuilt automatic transmissions...wouldn't it be better to buy a used tranny from a wrecked car, most places offer a 30 day warranty. If there are any problems with the tranny you would most likely know right away. It seems like it would be the cheaper way to go rather than having it rebuilt and having nothing but problems with it. Just my opinion.

It sounds like that is better, BUT

As per my opinion:

A) Problems from a junkjard

1) you need to find a good junkjard that have our type of cars.
    2) you need to either pull it yourself or have it pulled for you or try to have one from the pulled ones sitting somewhere.
    3) If you have the unit pulled - are you going to watch as its been pulled. or you are just going to sit in a room.
    4) How do you know if that tranny or engine is good.
    5) After pulling it, you need to change oil, filter seals.
    6) after installing it, you need to check to be sure its working fine. Spme might look and might work fine, but they are having problems that we can not see unless we take it to a shop.
    7) who is going to do the work and where.
    8) you do not know how the previous owner treated the parts. (Maintennace, maybe the car is there because a part broke)

Well I have to think some more.

I think that there is a problem with these trannies because I noticed that in the last 2 or 3 months there are more posts than usual about tranny problems. I saw in ebay some one selling a 95 for less than 600 because the tranny is slipping.

Some of the other sites have more tranny questions recently. So something is going on. Plus I also noticed that many rebuilt trannies are having problems.

Experienced TGC Member
    more then usual tranny posts? HA search this site, there have been tons and tons of tranny problems. There are people on this group who blew 1 a/t got it replaced from mitsubishi themselves and a couple months later that one took a dump on them too. Based on peoples posts from all the dsm car groups I'm a member of I'd say tranny problems are the number 1 talked about item when it comes to auto's.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

biga01
    Has anyone heard from the tranny shop yet? I'm still waiting to take mine in, I'm afraid of how much it will cost. :?

tacoman
    its the overdrive button i've been there do that

Quote Originally Posted by tacoman
    its the overdrive button i've been there do that
    how was it the O/D button?

WELL GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT, I GOT MY CAR BACK, YEAY!!!!!!!!! and guess what else, the trans shop:

are a bunch of PRICKS!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. well im going to take my car to the actual dealership next week, and i'll go form there. FYI, a friend of mine told me he had a simialr problem after he got his civic rebuilt, and he said it turned out to be one the Spark Plug Wires. The wire was bad, which in return was making the engine mis-fire, which in return was making the sensors go off, and giving false codes. But rememebr, this was a civic, not a Galanr. But it wouldnt hurt to look. Good Luck to everyone who has these same problems.

you can NOT use the p0175 code as reference to the trans!

you need to access the TRANS codes. the engine code is only there to reference you to the transmission, and it has nothing to do with the actual failure. there could be any of a dozen different codes stored in the trans computer.

youll probably have a "4th gear not synchronized" code, which would point the finger at low fluid or a failing end clutch, as I said before.
    both are fixable without trans removal.

Follow what manybrews said. He is right. I was looking at my shop manual and it does points to the tranny computer to get codes.

Also, I will be paying 2150 for my tranny by next week.

Clutches were warped, the sleve bearings are going to be replaced, the bearing was bad and the sensor b reported as bad or out of spec. Anyways, they are going to rebuild the whole tranny and put a new converter because they think that metal might have gothen into it so to be safe than sorry they are going to replace it.

I saw how they pulled apart and cleaned the cassing, it looks better than new. I might ask them to paint it Ford red.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    you can NOT use the p0175 code as reference to the trans!.....
    is p0175 the same asa P1705? im not sure if they are, or if you mis-pelled it. but last time i checked i had enough oil in the trans. BUT then again, i had to go back to the actual shop like 4 times becuz i had a leak somewhere in the trans. We'll see what happens once i take the car to the Mitsu shop this week. i hope they dotn say it WAS something with the trans, becuz i really dont wanna get me lawyer involved. eventhough i get a discount, lol. we'll see.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ositoyb
    you can NOT use the p0175 code as reference to the trans!.....
    is p0175 the same asa P1705? im not sure if they are, or if you mis-pelled it. but last time i checked i had enough oil in the trans. BUT then again, i had to go back to the actual shop like 4 times becuz i had a leak somewhere in the trans. We'll see what happens once i take the car to the Mitsu shop this week. i hope they dotn say it WAS something with the trans, becuz i really dont wanna get me lawyer involved. eventhough i get a discount, lol. we'll see.....
    yeah, i just mistyped it.

P0 codes are engine related. P1 codes are trans related.

regardless, check the fluid. warm the trans, and check it idling in NUETRAL!

okay, i will recheck the fluid. as for the chekcing while in nuetral, i was told that i should check the fluid AFTER the radiator fans have spined, is that true? either way, i'll check the fluid before and after the fans spin. Thanks a lot manybrews

Quote Originally Posted by Ositoyb

okay, i will recheck the fluid. as for the chekcing while in nuetral, i was told that i should check the fluid AFTER the radiator fans have spined, is that true? either way, i'll check the fluid before and after the fans spin. Thanks a lot manybrews
    nah, thats silly.
    just drive it for 5 or 10 minutes, and check it.
    be CAREFUL of the fans, as they could kick on anytime the car is running.

got it. thanks for the advice. would be really hard to check the fluid without a hand, lol.

biga01
    Well, I finally got my car to the shop. They said they couldnt really get it to mess up for them except when they kicked it down. They said it didn't throw any codes. They took apart the kickdown thing or whatever, pardon the lack of technical terms... and everything was okay. The guy who builds trannys is on vacation and they want me to take it back in next week.

Any thoughts about any of that? The problem is not constant infact when I drove it back from the shop it didn't do it at all, and shifting seemed smooth and fine. I'm stumped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12