The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AC recharge kit

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    moneybags20

AC recharge kit

My AC pretty much blows out warm air so i know it needs to be recharged and i've been looking at these recharge kits in the department store.
    What I want to know is has anyone of you guys used these things and how good did it work did it get your AC back to blowing out clod air or just cool or did it work at all? I'd appreciate some feedback.

sethmo
    Just take it to a shop and have them recharge it for you. Probably the easiest way to go.

Faction
    I don't know if the Galants after 1994 were R134a, but I just bought that recharge kit for my 2001 Galant and it works good, ice cold than before now. Don't take it to a shop, cheaper when u buy the recharge kit.

EDIT: my 95 Galant is R134a and R134a recharge kits have 3 bottles of freon (I used only one of it), and the freon also has line conditioner, oil lubricant for the compressor and line sealant for any leaks your sytem may have.

is this pretty easy to do??
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

If you buy the kit from a store get the one with the gage. If you put too much you will damage the system and in a hot day it might give you a scare by blowing up a hose.

Its easy, follow the directions.

If I was you I will get the one that is in a small bottle first, this one not only have oil and 134, but it have a red dye that will show you if you have leaks on the system and if they are small enought it will try to plug them. If after using this you do not get cold air, take it to the shop you might have a big leak.

Faction
    i also reccomend that you buy a r134 pressure manifold...it has better fittings for the hi and low side of the a/c system since it is metal and you can monitor the pressures. also, if you buy the recharge kit try to find metal fittings.....ill get some pics

queball
    I bought my kit from Wal-Mart after i replaced my pump and it only took one can It was very simple, and the A/C works great think the can was only 12 bucks or so, all you do i turn the A/C on full blast let it run for about 3 minutes and the locate the blue a/c cap the the L on it up by the firewall put you can on there like filling up a tire and when the gauge on the can reads blue your done pull of the can and replace the blue cap snuggly.. that easiy

if you dont know what youre doing, have it professionally done.
    First, there are many reasons it may be blowing warm. a low refridgerant charge in only one of them.
    and if it IS low, you need someone to find the leak.
    you also have absolutly NO idea how much it needs and how much it currently has in it without at LEAST a set of manifold gauges and an idea of how the system is suppost to work.

also, if you hook it up incorrecly, you could easily get the can to explode in your hand.

moneybags20
    Yeah i bought the measure and charge kit from interdynamics, big can that comes with the pressure gauge on it. Simple to use just find the low side pressure port by the firwall you'll see the light blue cap with the L on it.
    Connect it turn on AC full blast and read the gauge to find out how much refrigerant you have, make sure you press the air recirculation button for maximum blast while recharging.
    AC works great now, i know leaks could be the problem too but it comes with leak sealer too, all in all much only cost me 20$ compared to a 90$ or more recharge from the shop.

Experienced TGC Member
    If you live in NYC those quaker state quick lube places do a recharge for $15 bucks in 10 min. If a can costs $20 its actually cheeper to let them do it and let the can blow up on them instead.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon