The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '90, where is the starter's fusible link?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    karlperry

'90, where is the starter's fusible link?

My '90 refused to start one evening. I need to find out whether the fusible link is bad, but I don't know where to find this item.

The local dealer parts guy couldn't tell me where it is - he only had a generic photo of several components to do with the car's electrical system.

Can anyone tell me exactly where the link can be found?

TIA,

Karl Perry

marktheblake
    I have a workshop manual but i dont understand the question. Can you be more specific about what i have to look for?

karlperry
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a workshop manual but i dont understand the question. Â*Can you be more specific about what i have to look for?</div>

Apparently there is a fusible link somewhere in the electrical path from the battery to the starter. I've been told that this link is probably burned out. However, no one I've spoken to seems to know where the link can be found on this particular model. Is it just a wire? What exactly does it look like?

I hope this clarifies things.

Moderator: thanks for moving my post for me. I completely misread the model years in locating the correct generation. KAP.

marktheblake
    Tha manual shows me that the fusible links are simply those big plastic things next to the fuse box. (about 2cm square-ish).

Theres one under the dash, next to the fuse box in the engine bay, and a smaller one near the battery.

PM me your email address and i will send you a copy of the page if you need it.

ken inn
    if your fusible links have blown, you got BIIIG problems. those are like the final straw. you will toast fuses, relays, and even wiring harnesses before a link goes. why do you think it is a link? is this a real diagnosis, or just a wild ass guess?

there is no fusable link for the starter, as it can draw as much as 250 amps.