The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo question ( I think this is a new one)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 43
    94gntturbo219

turbo question ( I think this is a new one)

fisr off, hello to everyone on this forum. I've been looking about this forum for a while but for some reason, it would never let me activate an account till now ( the new server and everything I guess).

Well, I have a 94 galant project that I've been working on for a while now. It's got the full erebuni body kit with moulded sides, fender flares molded in, and a custom front end ( soon to be including JDM headlights as soon as they get here) but my quesiton is about the engine. I have come to the descision to use the 2G 4G63T engine with ECU, but I've searched this site to answer some things.
    1) I can still use my radiator or no? The radiators are different, and to get an eclipse one, will that fit or what?
    2) Does anyone know where I can locate one of those car repair guides to dissasembling the engine? I can't seem to find the repair guide for my car anywhere. I have worked on engines before, but I don't know ecatly what needs to be removed on this one ( and honestly, I'd like to do this whole project myself, just for the self satisfaction of saying so, and saving alot of money in the bank.) Anybody who has done this themselves, how easy was it to take the engine out and put the other one in? I know it's supposed to slide right in but the difficulty of getting it in.
    3) do I use the eclipse A/c and everything and do the vaccuum lines run the same?
    4)from the previous questions, what parts can I keep and what parts do I need ( has anyone ever listed them, I've looked and never found a parts list for this, I found one for a hybrid turbo engine, but not this list.)

Anyone who has done this swap, any information relevant to this would be most appreciated. Thanks to any and all help given and since I'm new to this, I'll have the pics of my car up as soon as I can so you can see what I'm building ( the fiberglass work has taken me a couple of months working on off when I have the time)

By the way, the namesake is for the car because that's the next thing being done, and as soon as it is, the name will make sense

sethmo
    You just want to turbo your '64? Or a '63t swap? O well this all applies to both.

1) Use your radiator, I do not believe eclipse radiators bolt in.
    2) Look in auto shops for one, if you cant find one for the Galant look for one for the 2g(95-99) eclipse. It should have a section for the Spyder which uses the same engine as we do.
    3) Use your '64 AC, starter, PS pump, alternator pretty much everything.
    4) Parts list for the DIY turbo install is at a sticky in the performance forums

94gntturbo219
    Oh, I guess I didn't clarify it. I'm doing a 63T swap full engine and 5spd transmission ( the tranny swap I odn't know if I'm going to do it myself) The radiator problem I noticed one thing, if I use the eclipse engine, there will be 2 radiator caps. becasue the one on the galant is ON the radiator, while the turbo eclipse engine radiator cap is on that other housing ( I forgot the name at the moment.) so how do I go about doing that? So if I do a full engine swap, I use my alternator and stuff, will they bolt on? or you meant if I did the hybrid head swap? I know I need the engine itself, but everythign else what needs to be switched or not I'm still confused about. Also, is it a good idea to change the motor and transmission mounts when switching the engines? I heard that since you've got the engine out, might as well go with new ones ( the polyuerathane ones or whatnot.) That's a good idea isn't it? So bottom line, doing full engine swap and transmission swap, need to know what parts to scrap and what parts to keep. thanks again for your reply.

94gntturbo219
    Oh, I guess I didn't clarify it. I'm doing a 63T swap full engine and 5spd transmission ( the tranny swap I odn't know if I'm going to do it myself) The radiator problem I noticed one thing, if I use the eclipse engine, there will be 2 radiator caps. becasue the one on the galant is ON the radiator, while the turbo eclipse engine radiator cap is on that other housing ( I forgot the name at the moment.) so how do I go about doing that? So if I do a full engine swap, I use my alternator and stuff, will they bolt on? or you meant if I did the hybrid head swap? I know I need the engine itself, but everythign else what needs to be switched or not I'm still confused about. Also, is it a good idea to change the motor and transmission mounts when switching the engines? I heard that since you've got the engine out, might as well go with new ones ( the polyuerathane ones or whatnot.) That's a good idea isn't it? So bottom line, doing full engine swap and transmission swap, need to know what parts to scrap and what parts to keep. thanks again for your reply.

94gntturbo219

sethmo
    Hehe well I am in the middle of it. heres a parts list from my knowledge, the way I am doing it, and the prices I paid:

-Complete 6bolt 4g63t engine(From 90-91 E/T/L, JDM 6gvr4s). I went with a JDM 6gvr4 engine with big 16g and 510cc injectors.($1600)
    -Use your Galant Harness and modd it slightly(FREE)
    -Use your Engine mount, but mod it slightly(FREE)
    -2g Knock sensor($63)
    -2g 02 Sensor($95)
    -2g ECU($150)
    -1g tach box($50)
    -SMIC or FMIC. I bought a 25x8x3 FMIC from jrprp1 on eBay($300)
    -IC Piping. If you use a SMIC, use 2g I/C piping. I bought a universal mandrel bends off eBay and a bunch of couplers and tclamps($200)
    -BOV. 1g BOV is the best bang for your buck($73)

5spd parts:
    -5spd transmission(from 94-98 Galant, 95-99 turbo FWD Eclipse/Talon). I bought a used 7g tranny off eBay.($200)
    -Shifter cables(again from 7g Galant, 2g turbo FWD). I bought 2g cables new from DSMotorsport.com($110)
    -Clutch master cylinder($24)
    -Clutch slave cylinder($6)
    -Clutch hydrolic lines. Most likely you will have to get a bender ans some straight pipe and bend your own. That is what I am doing.($x)
    -Clutch/Pressureplate. I went with an ACT 2600lb($450)
    -FWD 6bolt flywheel. I went with an ACT Xact Streetlite flywheel($250)
    -7g or 2g turbo FWD axles(7g FREE)
    -5spd shifter assembly($25)
    -5spd pedal assembly($70)

Now these parts are optional, but I went ahead and bought them:
    -MBC($50)
    -Boost and EGT Gauges($250)
    -SAFC2($260)
    -Walbro 190 or 255. I went with a 255($95)
    -AFPR. I went with an Aeromotive AFPR with SS install kit.($250)

Here are all the sites I used to buy my parts:

www.ebay.com
    www.diamondstarmotorsport.com Awesome company and fast shipping.
    www.mitsuparts.net THey have complete 6bolts for $1500 shipped.
    http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/1g2g.asp 1g motor in a 2g install
    www.dsmtuners.com Great forum for DSM info
    www.vfaq.com The best site for DSM FAQs and Tutorials
    www.dsmtrader.com Descent site for DSM Classifieds
    www.roadraceengineering.com Good site with a lot of parts for DSMs

That should get you started

94gntturbo219
    Thanks for the list of parts, that actually really helps. I was told though, I don't know if it's in other states, but where I'm currently located (NC) it's illegal to use any engine from any car in previous years than yours ( illegal as in won't be completely street legal) I know back home in FL they don't check any of that stuff, but up here I know we have yearly checks for stuff, I don't know if that'll be an issue if I go the 6 bolt route ( which is what I want to do) but I was told had something to do with the OBD systems, cause the 90-94 has OBDI and the 95-99 has OBDII.

Still the question remains about the radiator cap, what about that? Since the radiator on the galant has one, and the radiator on the misubishi is sans a radiator cap, it's located on the engine basically, won't when you swap, it be on the engine and you'll have 2? Anyhoo, yea, isn't the turbo 5 spd tranny and the galant tranny pretty much the same but the turbo is built stronger right?

I want to do the majority of this project myself though I already know of one thing that I'm going to take it in to have professionally done ( the exhaust system, I'm have a straiter than strait 3" piping fabricated for my exhaust.)

So what part of the build are you up to? I mean do you have the original engine out? cause I'm just starting that, and I can take the original out before getting the new one in ( the car isn't going anywhere so I'm not worried about it.) SO do you know what needs to be disconnected from hat and where? Should I gut everything under the hood or no? Let me know, cause I really do want to keep this mostly a personal project, not do the body work and leave the engine up to someone else. And thanks again, you have been extremely helpful so far

sethmo
    I have my old engine out, the '63t modded and in. I started putting the tranny on and am going to finish it tomorrow along with start re-doing the wiring. Right now I need new axles or new inner cv boots because they both ripped. Other than that all my parts I already have or are in the mail. I am doing everyting on this swap except the timing belt(im scared of it :lauging:) and the exhaust. Everything else has been done by me

Not sure what you mean by the radiator, maybe sabzi can help.

Before you start removing the engine be sure to have some paper tabs and a pen so you can mark every wire you disconnect. It will help you a ton when you go to re-install the engine. Instead of scratching your head and saying "Where the hell does that go???" you will know exactly where everything goes. And for the bolts, get little baggies and lable them.

There really isnt any general place you should start, but it is recommended that if your bay is dirty to wash it before you start. After that you could drain all the fluids and start disconnecting the wiring harness.

Only thing I forgot to mention with the 5spd swap is you should get the 5spd transmission mounts as well. Really the 5spd swap isnt harder than the rest of the swap. A lot of parts are easier than the '63t swap.

[Edit]
    O yeah, here are some pics:

94gntturbo219
    Man, that tutorial site has alot of useful information, I wish it had a picture stepped guide to getting the original engine out of the car ( for the galant, not the eclipe/talon) By the way, that's a nice engine. When I go to install the engine and transmission ( say I have everything removed already) I can install the engine, with tranny bolted to it, and not worry about the lines and cables right? Like the clutch cable and whatnot, the engine can go in and I can attach everything after that? So in the pictures your engine is bolted up but your transmission isn't? Isn't that going to be a bitch to get it down and up into it? Oh yea, you said you needed new axles. Yea, we did the baggie route on my brothers ride a while back. Unfortunately, one of the baggies ended up with some of the wrong bolts, because someone got lazy and put them in whichever bag was closest, so finding some of the bolts was a little problem.) anyhoo, I'll keep you updated, and keep me updated on that, I want to see how yours turns out, and if anyone knows where I can find a good repair manual ( cause I plan on getting both the galant one and the eclipse one, though the eclipse one is easy to get ahold of, the galant one not so much so.) let me know, thanks alot dude.

Experienced TGC Member
    damn seth,

I remember when we first started talkin like a year ago and you were all "I stripped the bleeder screw on the brakes!" or "I cant get the damn sway bar end links out wtf!" You defintly came a long way.. Great job!
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

94gntturbo219
    Ok, just to clarify though,m I use the galant alternator, starter or anything like that? or get all eclipse stuff and only use like the radiator and the lines and factory wiring? I was hazy on which one it was suposed to be, sorry for asking the same question twice. And as I can see, from the site you sent me, the engines don't come with timing belts, those have to be added, so the other belts for the accesories as well I assume? Thanks for the help

sethmo
    Use your galant starter, alternator, power steering pump, a/c, and everything. I guess it would be easier to bolt on the tranny before I dropped it in, but it was only me who dropped it in so I did it w/o the tranny. Its not too hard to bring the tranny from up under the car.

You can drop the motor/tranny in first then wire everything else up as well

94gntturbo219
    So I'm uder the assumption the belts should match exactly, wait, which belts should I use ( or I assume you haven't gotten that far by the pictures or don't know?) SO the alternator starter and power steering should bolt right up to the engine? yea, get back to me on that ( and the belt issue) I'm thinking since it's that way, I'm going to get new alternator starter and power sterring. I know my A/c actually hasn't been working for a while so that's gotta get replaced as well ( I think the condensor fryed, I can't remeber what the mechanic told me.) Because alot of them have been sitting for a while and they were kind of used, sO i'd rather start fresh, go buy new parts ( with core trade ins of coarse.) Is there anyone else that has completed this project to verify this before I go buy any accesories? So basically in a nutshell you only use the engine and the tranny from the turbo eclipse, and all accessories are from the galant and that all bolts up? Thanks again for the help, I just want to know before I make a mistake and spend more money on stuff I don't need.

sethmo
    sabzi and a few others have completed the swap. I have my alternator and ps pump bolted onto the '63t right now. I assume we use either belts. First try your Galant acessory belts see if they line up right(which they should).

94gntturbo219
    Ok, I think I only have a few more odd and end questions for a while till I progress further along ( thanks for dealing with so many questions). 1, will the turbo axles bolt to the galant 4 lug hub ( I don't know, I've never changed the hub and axles) and if not, where do I get the axles and hubs ( and I guess along with the brake kits to since my galant brake parts aren't going to fit.) 2, where can I get the shifter itself and those pieces. Like I know about the tranny, the shift cable, the hydro lines, the master and slave cylinder, but I din't know where to find the shifter assembly ( like none of those stores I saw sold the pedal or shidter assembly.) Thanks, sorry for all the questions again and thanks again.

sethmo
    Your best bet for shifter assembly and the pedal assembly are eBay, DSMTuners.com, or DSMTrader.com The pedal assembly is rather hard to find. Either 2g turbo/spyder(not sure about NT)or 7g 5spd shifter assembly and pedal assembly would work.

I am not 100% sure if the 2g turbo FWD axles will fit into our hubs. I dont know of anyone who has done it. I would like to get ahold of a set but I havent had much luck in finding any for cheap. Your stock galant axles will work with the 2g turbo FWD tranny though.

94gntturbo219
    Now that slight engine motor mount adjustment. That would be where and consisting of what? I know it's one of the motor mounts needs to be grinded or something like that ( can I just use a dremel or something or taking it in to a shop or something going to be required?) Thanks for the info

sethmo
    Its the motor mount that is next to the timing components. Just unbolt it from the block and grind off one of the holes. Here is what mine looks like after some dremelling(not sure if it was the final product or not):

I used my dremell and several strong cut off wheels from walmart. Just takes a bit of cutting, test fitting, more cutting, more test fitting, ect. Really not hard whatsoever...

Godspell
    That 4g63 looks hot! Dam galant guys help out way more than dsm guys.

94gntturbo219
    Ok, I went on DSM trader and put in a want ad for the parts, and someone E-mailed me with an offer for an Eprom ECU, now I'm not sure about this ECU, will this fit my application or no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast