The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whats wrong with tires sticking out?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 50

whats wrong with tires sticking out?

i've been reading the wheel forum for a few pages back and i see that everyone disapproves of wheels sticking out. i personally think that it adds a meaner/ lower look to the car and will try for that look on my ride. my question is how much of a drop would i be able to get on 17's? i havent picked out a specific rim yet but probably one with a low offset + 8 in. wide. anyone else on these forums have wheels sticking out? or tried to? or did it by mistake?

sethmo
    hah Dont hit too many bumps. I wouldnt want my fender smashing into my tire...

Yeah, it looks mean, but you won't be able to drop the car too much without rubbing the fenders. I've seen a few Galants with +38mm offsets on rims that are 8" and 8.5" wide. Most, if not all those people, had to roll their rear fender lips to keep from rubbing.

most people get a 2in. drop with 215/45/17 on 17/7/40 correct? so if i get a 17/8/35 rim, would i still be able to get the 2 in drop? with normal 17/7/40 rims, the wheel looks like it has perfect clearance. i dont want to sacrifice the clearance for a wider look. ive seen pics of cars on 17s, not dropped. and they look funny. like when someone's pants are too short and when they sit, their socks would show

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    most people get a 2in. drop with 215/45/17 on 17/7/40 correct? so if i get a 17/8/35 rim, would i still be able to get the 2 in drop? with normal 17/7/40 rims, the wheel looks like it has perfect clearance. i dont want to sacrifice the clearance for a wider look. ive seen pics of cars on 17s, not dropped. and they look funny. like when someone's pants are too short and when they sit, their socks would show
    The tires to use on 17's are 225/45's. My guess is that a rim that is 8" wide with a +35mm offset will not fit with a 2" drop without rubbing in the rear. Although, if you don't correct the camber you will get from the drop, the rims might tuck in the rear far enough. I wouldn't bet on it though and I wouldn't do it anyway because you would eat up tires very quickly with that kind of camber. It's hard to say really what the outcome will be since I haven't seen it first hand on a Galant, only the couple people who have had similar setups on the boards.

akiraflux
    mine are 17x8 +42 and i will be sure to let everybody know how it turns out when i drop it within the next month...

ps

WHERE'S MY GODDAMN TAX REFUND?!?!

David, why are 225/45's best? I told Les Schwab that I wanted new tires and I mentioned lowering. They recommended 205/40/17's. Is that going to be a bad decision? (sorry for asking a new question in your thread qnz)

I've got one love in my life. And my girlfriend's learned to live with it. Girlfriends come and go. Your ride is forever.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Boi
    David, why are 225/45's best? I told Les Schwab that I wanted new tires and I mentioned lowering. They recommended 205/40/17's. Is that going to be a bad decision? (sorry for asking a new question in your thread qnz)
    well, 225s are wider, hence, better
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

225/45-17 is the plus-2 size over the stock 195/65-15 tires. You need to keep the outside diameter of the tire the same when increasing the size of the rim. 205/40-17 is smaller and your speedo will be off.
    <a href="http://jayd.net" target="_blank">Ride With Me Home</a>

Quote Originally Posted by djScript
    225/45-17 is the plus-2 size over the stock 195/65-15 tires. You need to keep the outside diameter of the tire the same when increasing the size of the rim. 205/40-17 is smaller and your speedo will be off.
    Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself. Also, you'll have more tire to help protect against bending your rims. I used to have 17's with 225/45 tires and they fit fine, so don't let Les Scwab tell you any different. When I upgraded to some 18" rims, I wanted 225/40 tires and the place I got them from was trying to tell me they wouldn' fit, but I knew they would.

same here, local tire place tried tellin me it was impossible to fit 18s on my car since they couldnt fit 18s on some punk's cavalier...so when i got mine on and had it dropped, i pulled up to the shop and asked about some 235/40/18 tires to replace my toyos...and he goes "those aren't 18s" and i said "hey dumbass go read the numbers on the sidewall" ...laughed at him and walked out of his store
    President Team DNA IL Chapter
    [email protected]
    www.dnaracing.net

I have 18x8.5 wheels with 225/40 series rubber and I definitely had to roll my rear fenders with my drop. However, I have Ground Control c/o that are at about 2.5 or 2.6 all around. My tires sit even with my fenders, but with the negative camber from the drop in the back, there is no rubbing.
    2001 Galant I4 Dover Pearl

Mods:
    Injen CAI
    GC Coilovers
    18x8.5 ADR M-Classics
    225/40HR Kumho Ectsa Supra's
    Nokya H4 Headlights
    Clear Corners
    Reverse Indiglo Guages

Soon to Come...
    Apexi N-1 Exhaust
    x2 JL Audio W6 Subs

Quote Originally Posted by COgalant
    I have 18x8.5 wheels with 225/40 series rubber and I definitely had to roll my rear fenders with my drop. However, I have Ground Control c/o that are at about 2.5 or 2.6 all around. My tires sit even with my fenders, but with the negative camber from the drop in the back, there is no rubbing.
    If you don't drop the car, will this tire/wheel size still fit?

Experienced TGC Member
    never, i repeat, NEVER not drop the car..........

unless you are going mudriding or something..

though i can't speak, i haven't dropped mine, (but that's because i lived in MS and well, we did mudride, haha.)
    -Chris

its makes your car dirtier to. damn i need better rims
    05 - Scion tC
    95 - Mitsubishi Galant S
    K&N FPIK Intake ; KYB GR-2s ; Eibach Pro-Kit
    Currently in Project:
    DOHC (i jus need a few more parts)
    AT Built Tranny (just need axles)

Re: whats wrong with tires sticking out?

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    i've been reading the wheel forum for a few pages back and i see that everyone disapproves of wheels sticking out. i personally think that it adds a meaner/ lower look to the car and will try for that look on my ride. my question is how much of a drop would i be able to get on 17's? i havent picked out a specific rim yet but probably one with a low offset + 8 in. wide. anyone else on these forums have wheels sticking out? or tried to? or did it by mistake?

You can't get a rim with a low offset. Mainly because it won't allow for proper fitment to the vehicle. And that doesn't include the suspension problems that will be cause by using an incorrect offset. My suggestion if you really want a lower offset wheel is DO NOT go below +38mm. If you do you are just asking for problems.

i found a nice rim thats made for a Lexus. 18x7.5. the only thing is that the offset is 36. will this be plausible? what do u guys mean anything with a low offset is asking for trouble?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qnz)</div><div class='quotemain'>i found a nice rim thats made for a Lexus. 18x7.5. the only thing is that the offset is 36. will this be plausible? what do u guys mean anything with a low offset is asking for trouble?</div>

are these factory or aftermarket wheels? i know we've had trouble fitting stock wheels off lexus's on the galant before. you might want to test fit it to see if it will even bolt on, before you worry about the offset.

but yea a low offset is asking for trouble because for many reasons. the big one is that you have a higher chance of rubbing when you lower the car. especially since you would be getting 18's, a drop would be almost necessary.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

ya, after market ones. theyre gonna look like these, but replicas. the real things a like $4.5k a set.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qnz)</div><div class='quotemain'>what do u guys mean anything with a low offset is asking for trouble?</div>

Think about it like this. Pretend you are standing between two railings, one on either side of you. Let's say those railings are pretty close to you. You can grab each one with each hand, then push yourself up and hold yourself off the ground. Now do the same thing with the railings really far apart to the point where you have to stretch your arms out all the way. Now try to lift yourself off the ground. You can't do it. It's just too hard. Take that idea and think of your car resting on wheels that are farther apart. That will put alot of stress on the suspension and the lugs as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast