The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator Problems

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2
    tacoman

Alternator Problems

well everytime i stop the car it wont start so i had to get it jumped off, well i took it to autozone and they said i had a bad battery and alternator (the battery was dead only 3volts) so i got a new battery well when we put it in the voltage stayed between 12volts and 12.5 volts. the guy at autozone told me the alternator was bad so i took it off and got it tested well as it turns out the damn thing is good :?: so why is it good off the car and not good on the car????? well i said maybe its one of the diodes in the alternator that went bad so i got a new alternator $165 and some change, put it on the car and i have 12 volts but after about 2 mins i get 14 volts. and once the car warms up it stays at 14 volts sometimes, and sometimes it don't even charge. so i thought ok its the computer so i went to the parts car around back and got the computer and presto i still have the same problem , i even changed the regulator and still the same thing.

so what the hell i don't get it i haven't driven my G in 2 months now ohh and by the way i dont have a car audio system in it so that can't be the problem.

Experienced TGC Member
    You cant just randomly go changin things...

It should be close to 14v while idling and driving. Electrical problems are hard to diagnos...I had a similar problem, but I started by checking the wiring first, and it ended up being a bad ground wire from battery to chassis, $10 10min fix.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon