The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: electrical tape - how do you guys do it? tricks/tips?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar

electrical tape - how do you guys do it? tricks/tips?

everything that's a wire in my car is at some point cut and bandaged with electrical tape, and under my hood is more electrical tape than metal. over time, and with all the heat, the tape starts to unwind. so every week i find myself spending hours replacing all the tape, or zip-tying it so it wont unstick and unwind itself. you guys understand what i'm talking about?

how the hell do i electrical tape something once, and never worry about it again. one of these days i'm gonna go through my entire car and rather than electical tape, use those little clamp things you get at kmart that bridge two wires together and splice a wire into an existing one. what do you guys do for the tape though?? gracias.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    It depends on the tape, I got some cheep as 99cent store tape that melts off in 2 seconds, and then some fancy electrical tape thats been holding up pretty damn good for the past few months.

Best way to ensure things get sealed...heat shrink.

But I make too many changes to do something like that.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    how does one do this....heat shrink...you speak of. blowdryer? or a heat gun?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    Blow dryer or heat gun will work.

I think it's all in the electrical tape. Get some better quality tape and you should be ok.

another good option is to get some liquid electrical tape. you just brush the tape on like u would paint.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    is that the stuff that eventually becomes a sticky black mess?? Like the crap thats stuck in some wires under the hood from the factory?
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

now that u got me thinking about it, i'd stay away from electrical tape in the engine bay. that sticky black mess is the adhesive from the electrical tape.

heat shrink would be a better choice thinking about it. but not to worry~! heat shrink comes in many colors now, just like electrical tape. i was at the auto parts store the other day and they had pink heat shrink.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

the_kage
    or you can always you loc type connectors. Do it right.. do it once.

Experienced TGC Member
    snap connectors are overkill unless your splicing in a part that may need to be removed like uh my coilpacks and power transistor...all of wich are hard wired in my car cause im too cheep to buy the connectors for $10 lol
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wire, tape it, slide the tubing over the tape, then hit with the heat gun.
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jluv97)</div><div class='quotemain'>slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wire, tape it, slide the tubing over the tape, then hit with the heat gun.</div>

Now that is just retarded. Heatshrink is there to take the place of tape.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon