The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Insturment Cluster Bulbs

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    GalantRawr

Insturment Cluster Bulbs

It appears the the bulb on the Tach side of my insturment cluster has gone dead. The dealership wants $110 to fix it. My extended warrenty considers it an "interior trim" item and wont pay for it. I fail to see how it has anything to do with trim. I consider it an integral part of the insturment panel. If my fricken Fuel gauge died they would fix it, but not a lousy bulb. Bastards!

Anyway has anyone ever replaced that bulb personally? How much does the part cost and how difficult was it to get to/install?

tia.

$110!! Are you shittin' me?! :shock: That's bullshit. You can easily change that bulb yourself. I've changed all my cluster bulbs to red. First you need to remove the 2 screws holding the black plastic trim around the cluster which are at the top of he trim. Make sure your steering wheel is adjusted all the way down. As you are pulling out the trim, you have to get your hand behind the dimmer knob and disconnect the wires. Then pull the trim all the way out. Now you need to remove the 4 screws holding in thegauge cluster. There is one in each corner. Try not to drop them down into your dash. As you are trying to angle out the cluster, you'll have to disconnect wires that are pluged in the back. One plug on each side of the cluster. Then the cluster is free to come out. On the back of the cluster you will see twist knobs to get to the bulbs. Replace the one that's out and put everything back together. The bulbs are 194's. You might even want to replace all of them with colored bulbs.

GalantRawr
    I shit you not. $110 bucks for one freaken light bulb.

Thanks for the info. How many bulbs are there total in the cluster?
    Any kind of bulb to avoid/recommend if I want to use colored ones?

Red or Blue bulbs show up really well, I'd recommend against LEDs unless you find the LEDs specially made to shine at 180 degrees, but those get pricey, I mean like $10-15 per bulb.

The bulbs you want are the following number: 194 or 168

They look like this:

as for the number, there are 5 of them. but those 5 only light up the cluster and the needles. the ones for the warning lights are a lil bit trickier to change.

here's a tutorial page thats missing a whole buncha staps but show u where teh bulbs are
    http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY_2000/...dash_light_.htm

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BluFalcon
    Anyone changed out the bulbs in a GTZ for a different color than the original? I have two dead bulbs in my cluster and would like to change the cluster lighting to something that matches the rest of the car a bit more. Red Instrument lights and blue grey lighting everywhere else. Riiiight. I was thinking of putting some blue bulbs in there to try and match the rest of the dash lighting.