The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turboing my 96 I-4

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Dark Anghell
    Also I think that there will be a number of problems with the turbo install. So far there were 2 4G64 that got blown, just by torboing those engines. I mean you probably won't have any problems if you stay below 8psi on the turbo. If you go over...say goodbye to the engine (not right away, but in a few months/weeks).
    :idea: Option #2 would be swapping a 4G63t, that has lower compression, and it comes with a turbo, which makes your job a lot easier. Plus you can get that baby up to 500HP with some internal work and a bigger turbo, I don't think that 4G64 is capable to make that kind of HP.
    Hopefully this makes sence :cry:

no pavel.... Dont' Go starting rumors....

curt's issues were induced by normal wear And tear.
    balance shafts go bad in DSM's All the time (unfortunaetly)

and Denver's mishap was Due to an over-rev.

what many people *don't* see is that marco passante from magnus motorsports/modified.com has his own 2.4L turbo race car. producing more than 600HP without nitrous.

granted he broke too.... but that's 600 HP racing in 100+ degree weather.
    (I forgot what It Was)

the 4g64 is more Than Strong-enough for this task... but you can't expect ti to last long if you're constantly revving to ~8k Rpm
    the geometry of the engine does not allow for it.

I was just mentioning on 4g64 how longer gears would keep a turbo'd 4g64 in better shape.
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

turboing you car can be done. just dont' be afraid to spend money. get some good parts and some quality work done and yea you should be str8. its doing things half ass or misusing things that cause things to fail. also make sure that everything is str8 b4 u build up your motor for the turbo. having a good foundation is the most important part of modding up your car. without a good foundation, you are asking for disaster

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

fstrthnu

turbo for 4g64

They already make a direct bolt on turbo kit for the 7th gen galant 4g64. You can get it at anyturbo.com. They have a stage 1 ($2700 non intercooled 5-8psi) and a stage 2 ($3700 intercooled 8-12psi). I talked to the guy and he said that it is a pretty good kit, even on stock internals. Which I can believe since I've been running a 75 shot of nitrous for the last year without any problems. Right now I'm in the process of building the engine to handle the extra abuse. ( Forged pistons, rods, etc)

Dark Anghell
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>no pavel.... Dont' Go starting rumors....

curt's issues were induced by normal wear And tear. Â*
    balance shafts go bad in DSM's All the time (unfortunaetly)

and Denver's mishap was Due to an over-rev.

what many people *don't* see is that marco passante from magnus motorsports/modified.com has his own 2.4L turbo race car. producing more than 600HP without nitrous.

granted he broke too.... but that's 600 HP racing in 100+ degree weather.
    (I forgot what It Was)

the 4g64 is more Than Strong-enough for this task... but you can't expect ti to last long if you're constantly revving to ~8k Rpm
    the geometry of the engine does not allow for it.

I was just mentioning on 4g64 how longer gears would keep a turbo'd 4g64 in better shape.</div>

Sorry, but I think that it'll be a lot cheaper to install the 4g63t, that's built for a turbo to be installed and used for 100+K miles. My friends mirage is turbo'ed and he is running only 8psi at all times. I think that with the 4g63 the pressure can be a little higher...like 12psi at all times. What do you think. Because I am still deciding on either turbo kit for my engine which is 2700 for blue ribbon, or buy a 4g63t from a junkyard for 1500 and have the rest of the money for intercooler, downpipe, and all the gauges I would need to get. By the way how's your engine running? What mods have you done to it? (boost controller, blow-off valve, etc.)

I think if you were to go with lower compression pistons, say 7.5:1 you could run 20psi and not have to worry about a thing. You have to make sure you have all the goodies though. J&S Safeguard, 450cc or larger injectors, Apexi S-afc. Or you can get the ECU from a 95 gst that has the eeprom and use a dsm link to do the tuning. I say you could go to around the 260-290 hp mark and not blow your engine for a long time. Just have to replace the important gaskets because old ones are weak by now. Also, you'll want to do a dohc head swap.

Dark Anghell
    That's true. But as soon as you are replacing the head to a DOHC, you will mess with the wiring harness and ECU, thus you mignt as well go for a 4g63t, and run 300HP with the right mods done to the car.

you guys worry too much

our stock CR is high.. yes

but it's not so high that it's to be Feared.

bottom line... every person has an ideal setup

someone like myself.. who has no problem getting dirty, and is confident in tearing a motor down, and re-assembling it... could go either way

someone else... not so well-versed could go with a simple bolt-on low Psi kit.

pavel.. you know what is good for you... and jesse.... you have what is good For you

to be completely honest... I liked denvers setup... heck... I kinda designed it (but I didn't know it)=0[

don't let anyone tell you there's a right, and a Wrong Way... do what you want... And be proud of it
    Craig R.

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

Initial -G-host
    I need to talk to you Craig...i need some minor turbo advice.

[email protected] or gclipse96 on AIM

feel Free to ask questions.....(everyone else Does) =0]
    Craig R.

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

TurboGalant
    If you are going to turbo an automatic, be careful. It won't handle too much abuse. I am in the very expensive process of getting mine replaced by levelten.com

my $0.02 worth