The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tire pressure question

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

tire pressure question

ok my tires a rated for 44 PSI , standard for most tires I Believe, whenever I take my car in for a oil change the guys only put 35 PSI in my tires, I find that the steering is a little " squishy " so I usually go and pump up the tires to about 40 -42 PSI.

Question: does weather affect tire performance? ie: I live in Texas where it can get to about 100 deg. should I under inflate to allow for expansion? and is inflating to 40-42 PSi going to reduce my treadware?

Lets think of your tires as balloons. the more air you pump into them, the less touches the ground. therefore, the higher the PSI, the longer ur treads will last- but the less traction you will get. granted, you can run anywhere up to 6-8 PSI higher than recommended (by the car, if you still have stock tires) without losing significant traction. the squishy feeling is because less air is in the tires, so more rubber is touching the ground. i dont think weather will affect your tires too much. also, when you drive for a while, your tires will heat up and it will change PSI as well, about 1-2.

basically, more PSI = longer tire life, less traction.
    less PSI= shorter tire life, more traction.
    its up to you. For daily driving, i go 8+PSI. i want my tires to last.

actually for best treadwear, you should just keep the tire pressure where it should be. underinflation would cause you to run on the ousides of the tread area, causing them to wear quicker. overinflation causes you to run on the center of the tread area causing that to wear quicker.

as for temperature vs tire pressure. if the daily temperature isn't that different then you odn't have to worry about it. now if you're having like 30 degree mornings and 90 degree afternoons, ranges like that then the tire pressure will be affected. but if the temperature doesn't change that much then you don't have to worry about it really. just monitor your tire pressure from time to time.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

nrgizeman
    i was always curious... whats the recommended tire pressure for 8g v6 with 16in???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nrgizeman)</div><div class='quotemain'>i was always curious... whats the recommended tire pressure for 8g v6 with 16in???</div>

according to the lil sticker in my door jamb, its 32 front 29 rear

nrgizeman
    thanks pinoyesv6 you are the man. anyway i asked because i have the eclipse 16in and every time i put about 40psi. i just wanted to know. thanks again.

see thats why I asked... normally, say if I was up north I wouldnt bother, but down here in TX it can get mighty chilly at night and damn hot during the day.

right now my car sits in the shade for the better part of the morning... ( thats when Im at home ) after about 10:30 is when the sun starts coming over the house and it gets damn hot.
    At work I have NO protection... my car bay sit out front of the Company area for 12 hours....rtonight I went cruising around town and noticed that as the sun went down I would start to loose grip around corners. as opposed to say mid afternoon..
    I guess Im trying to find a happy medium ... not too "squishy" during the day and not so loose at night.

anyway... ya'll have given me something to think about.. 'preciate the input.

i thought most standard tire pressures were 35psi (that's what all of mine have been) maybe your tires are rated for 44psi, but the boys at the oil change place thought otherwise?

just my two cents

[20:33] fenderi: did they screw up your wiper leds yet?
    [20:33] lKoRTy: i dont know man
    [20:33] lKoRTy: i wil see topmorrow
    [20:33] lKoRTy: lol
    [20:33] fenderi: hopefully they did the car a favor and chucked them
    [20:34] lKoRTy: screw you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryans99es2.4)</div><div class='quotemain'>i thought most standard tire pressures were 35psi (that's what all of mine have been) maybe your tires are rated for 44psi, but the boys at the oil change place thought otherwise? Â*

just my two cents</div>

when i gave nrgizeman the tire pressure, i gave him what the manufacturer (mitsubishi) recomended for a stock size wheel. have another size wheel then the pressure could be different. but yea, there isn't no standard tire pressure. tire pressure between cars can chage from weights of the car, to sizes of the rim and tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/gen...al/pressure.jsp here's an excellent article about how temperature affects the tire pressure. they even did some tests to see how it is effected by temperature and use

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryans99es2.4)</div><div class='quotemain'>i thought most standard tire pressures were 35psi (that's what all of mine have been) maybe your tires are rated for 44psi, but the boys at the oil change place thought otherwise? Â*

just my two cents</div>

when i gave nrgizeman the tire pressure, i gave him what the manufacturer (mitsubishi) recomended for a stock size wheel. have another size wheel then the pressure could be different. but yea, there isn't no standard tire pressure. tire pressure between cars can chage from weights of the car, to sizes of the rim and tire.</div>

Its specific per vehicle, not by wheel. The 8G Galant requires 32psi up front and 29psi in the rear. I suggest you all set your cars to proper specs, (especially so if you've run 40+psi in your tires) you are running at unsafe levels for the tire. Remember to also check your Tire Pressure in the morning or after you haven't driven the vehicle for at least 1-2 hours. That ensures proper cold and hot tire inflation pressures.