The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31
    98galant

Turbo Help

Installed turbo on 98 galant, it hesitates when driving. I need to install fuel pressure regulator? Where does it go? How do I adjust it? Pics please.... Thnx :x

more info about the setup please.. stock head? fuel upgrades, which turbo, electronics, etc.

98galant
    I got stock head no fuel upgreads garret t3 intercooled bov colder spark plugs..

which ecu do you have? no afc? no logger?? how are you tracking a/f ratio??

is this hesitation all the time? when low rpms, high rpms? when you get on the throttle fast? you have to give more details..

any pics of this setup?
    sorry i cant help :?

98galant
    when rev up and let go aff throtle the car cant go back to idle it goes back and forth couple of times from 500rpm to 1500 and it stalls or goes back to normal idle whitch is about 800-900rpms. when driving it also kind of hesitates for 4th of a second as rpm goes up when press on it like not enough fuel going in. i got stock ecu stock injectors and fuel pump

okay, so you haven't responded about the logger or safc.. you NEED those.. i don't know how you're planning on tuning it without them. if i were you, i would not floor it until getting those things to prevent disaster.. after getting those, you can tune it and then do what you want. if your bov vented to atmosphere? if so, and you're using the stock MAF (which i will assume you are because you didn't mention otherwise) then that can cause stalling issues as well. it causes you to run rich at idle (if you have a 1g bov which leaks at idle), when venting, and if you get to too high of a pressure (about 17-18psi+).

98galant
    logger or safc?? thats a ecu Piggyback right ?? well i spoke with a guy that put a turbo on his car and he told me if install the fuel pressure regulator at stock fuel pressure which i dont know what it is yet. will go to mitsubishi dealer for that number. set the fueld pressure regulator 5 to 10 lbs more than stock and see how it runs.. But i dont know if the regulator goes before the fuel rail or after it where the srock fuel regulator is? or do i leave the stock one on and go after it?

98galant
    "srock" - stock

98galant
    i think what i am getting is too much air and not enough fuel mixture

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you NEED a logger or S-AFC at least, also get a wideband O2 sensor, not one of those autometer a/f gauges that is just for reference. you also need a fuel pump bigger than stock, a 255lph will be fine, and an aftermarket Fuel pressure regulator. also make sure you do the fuel pump re-wire mod.

i'm sure i'm forgetting something, but seth will find this thread and tell you what's up, he's been there, done that.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

98galant
    i do have the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator thats what im trieng to see where it goes... Do i realy need i bigger fuel pump???

98galant
    do i also need biger injectors

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>i do have the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator thats what im trieng to see where it goes... Do i realy need i bigger fuel pump???</div>

of course, more power = more gas, and the stock 7G fuel pump is pretty lame. i have the walbro190 but i'd recomend the walbro 255 for your setup. i dont have any experience with aftermarket FPRs, but i think you install them in line with your stock fuel delivery line from the pump just before it enters the fuel rail. i didn't need a pump for my 190, but for a 255 you do.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>do i also need biger injectors</div>

yes

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Damn, sounds like you just threw a turbo in there without getting any of the essential parts. Listen to peno and sabiz they knows more about the 7g than a lot of people. You will definatly need the AFC as well as the wideband for tunning purposes, the walbro pump is a must, no fuel means no power at all, definatly the injectors which you can get a dime a dozen, i would suggest 440cc injectors, with 2 step colder plugs...And you hesitation mostly is from not fuel gettin in to the cylinder and well as you could be experiencing knock, which is not good at all. I hope we can help you out and get your turned into the right direction.
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

brandon
    You don't NEED a bigger fuel pump. If you do the rewire you should be ok unless you're running high boost.

You DO NEED bigger injectors.. you're probably starving your engine of fuel. Get the Eclipse turbo injectors (450cc) and be sure to get the resistor pack to wire them as well.

Please DO NOT drive your car until you do some more research and install these parts. The FPR will help once all that is on.

Also, do you have a boost gauge and EGT gauge? You should have both.

the fpr will be installed on the driver-side end of the fuel rail. there are two bolts (10mm i believe) holding it on to the fuel rail. you will also need a fuel pressure gauge to be able to know what to set it to (not to mention, what it is set to right now).

what kind of turbo exactly did you install? do you even know? is it a pure t3, or a t3/t4? trim? you need to know what turbo you have to know what fuel upgrades you will need to support it.

if you're on the stock ecu, i don't even know what logger would be compatible. maybe dsmlogger would work, but i can't tell for sure. forget the egt gauge, it means nothing without a lot of other information. you do need a boost gauge though, and make sure your boost is set LOW. did you install this yourself, or did you have someone install it for you? if you had someone install it for you, ask them to write down everything installed in the setup, and post that up. how are you controlling boost?

you can't just install a fpr and be done with it. your stock injectors suck. you will need to upgrade to atleast the stock dsm injectors. don't raise your fuel pressure, do it right. get a bigger fuel pump, an adjustable fpr, set the pressure to stock, get bigger injectors, get an s-afc or other piggyback or ecu replacement, get a wideband o2. most of all, do research, you have a lot to learn about tuning. where do you live? someone local to you could help a lot more.

wideband o2 isn't absolutely necessary if you can get something to log with. but you need either a logger or a wideband o2. a good wideband will also be able to log, albeit not as much as a dedicated logger will.

before i can tell you what fuel upgrades you need, you have to tell use what kind of turbo you are running. how much air it can push is very important to know how much fuel you will need. what boost will you be running it at?

unfortunately, if you don't get some help with this asap, i fear your engine may be doomed. running lean causes detonation which is one of the engines worst enemies. i don't know if you should even be driving the car until you get this issue taken care of..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>the fpr will be installed on the driver-side end of the fuel rail. Â*there are two bolts (10mm i believe) holding it on to the fuel rail. Â*</div>

you mean on the passenger side, correct? looking at the car from the front, standing over the engine bay, you want it on the LEFT side...right? that's the fuel delivery line

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>the fpr will be installed on the driver-side end of the fuel rail. Â*there are two bolts (10mm i believe) holding it on to the fuel rail. Â*</div>

you mean on the passenger side, correct? looking at the car from the front, standing over the engine bay, you want it on the LEFT side...right? that's the fuel delivery line</div>

Nope... passenger side is wrong.

Your stock FPR is located on the driver side, at the right side end of the fuel rail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast