The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G Turbo installation "guide"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 59
    brandon

7G Turbo installation "guide"

I've been putting together a 'guide' but it's been coming along slow as I've been busy at work.

Pics are in the Member Pic forum if you're interested.

Still need to get my exhaust done and I'm still waiting on my pocketlogger to come in the mail.

I'm still 4G64 SOHC, auto tranny, and still using stock ECU (at least temporarily). Boosting 5-6 lbs MAX, and am very pleased with the added power.

Once I have the pocketlogger I'll be able to do some more tuning and get her running better. Right now the only issues I have are low/jumpy idle RPM and stalling after revs in park/neutral.

Any questions or comments, feel free.

brandon
    Looks like my post was moved, so... I have a 7G if you weren't aware. Thus the install guide I'm putting together will likely not apply to other gen Galants. Anyhow...

Here's the complete (well, for the most part at least) parts list:

Under the hood:
    - 1G 14b turbo w/internal wastegate
    - 2G exhaust manifold
    - 2G O2 housing
    - 2G downpipe
    - 1G 14b j-pipe w/nipple
    - 1G BOV
    - 2G oil pan
    - 2G SMIC
    - 1G coolant lines (2)
    - 2G oil return line
    - RRE oil feed line (for a 2G)
    - 450cc injectors
    - 1G resistor pack
    - 1G intake tube
    - Gaskets: Head to exhaust manifold, exhaust manifold to turbo, turbo to O2 housing, O2 housing to downpipe, turbo to j-pipe, oil return line (you should get 2, one to turbo, one to oil pan… although I only had one and used this copper gasket sealer spray stuff on the pan side)
    - IC piping (pre-bent or flexible radiator hose for both upper and lower)
    - Flexible lower radiator hose – you need to replace it if you want the turbo inlet to be accessible
    - Flexible 1 ½” pool hose to connect the BOV back to the intake tube
    - Plug(s) for the extra hole(s) on the intake tube
    - About 3 feet of 3/8” coolant hose (for your coolant lines)
    - About 1 foot of 3/16” coolant hose or vacuum line (to connect wastegate to j-pipe)
    - About 2 feet of 1/8” coolant hose or vacuum line (for your BOV to vacuum line)
    - T-fittings (3/16” – 3/16” – 3/16” and 1/8” – 3/16” – 3/16”)
    - Various sized hose clamps (for anywhere you have a hose)
    - Various sized zip ties

Inside the car:
    - Apex-I SAFC II
    - 94-01 Acura Integra pillar pod
    - Autometer Boost gauge
    - Autometer Pyrometer (EGT)
    - OBD-II pocketlogger (supposedly in the mail)

and...

Tools, Odds & Ends Required:

If you don’t have access to a good set of tools, stop right here. You’ll need a number of ratchets, sockets, open ends, extensions, swivel adapters, screwdrivers, pliers, wirecutters, electrical tape, tweezers, and a knife… More specifically, you’ll also want to have a drill and some good bits, a tap (follow the directions for your EGT gauge) a soldering gun / kit, O2 sensor socket (but make sure you get a good quality one if you use this instead of an open end), Oil pressure sender socket, torque wrench, and your two best friends – a breaker bar and some PB Blaster. You’ll also need a bunch of bolts and washers and all that good stuff to put everything together. I made about 10 trips to Home Depot… your best bet is to put all of your parts in a box and bring it to Home Depot with you and just test fit everything. Another option would be to buy a kit if you can find one. Some bolts you can re-use of course, but there are a number of new ones you’ll need. You’ll also need a couple of jacks and jackstands unless you have access to a lift.

Install guide will follow once I'm done writing it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    kind of un-related, but i'll assess the turbo list with questions later, how well did you get the integra pillar pod to fit? thanks
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>kind of un-related, but i'll assess the turbo list with questions later, how well did you get the integra pillar pod to fit? thanks</div>

It actually fits pretty well just by jamming it behind the dash where it meets the pillar.

To make it fit better, I thought velcro would do, but it came out pretty crappy. The new plan is to screw it into the pillar so it'll fit a bit more snug.

Worth the $10-$15 I paid for it though... much cheaper than buying one of those replacement 3-gauge pillars on ebay.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Very nice B, know i gues if anyone needs to know what they have to aquire to boost, there it is..damn good job..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

what kind of hose did you use for the upper and lower intercooler piping and what size and how did you connect it. im using a 14b turbo too along with a starion intercooler and 1g bov mounted to the stock pipe i dont really want to shell out the money steel pipng so it would really help me out
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

brandon
    Flexible radiator hose for the lower, a pre-bent hose going to the stock 1G BOV pipe, then to some plumbing adapters and an exhaust pipe to the TB. I used pool hose to connect the BOV back to the intake.

You can see the pics in my signature link.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    So why did you use a pool hose for the bov return line? Flexible? DIdnt your auto parts store have a hose in the right size diameter?
    7g for life!

brandon
    Peeped around Pep Boys but couldn't find anything that would work... The pool hose was super flexible and the size was close enough so that with clamps it'd fit. I forget what size I bought though... got it from Home Depot.

I needed something that would flex w/o crimping as you can tell by this pic:

Dang dude thats a looooong return line. Mines going to be like 4" From the dump tube

You should invest in a FMIC and have an exhaust shop make you some short route piping.
    7g for life!

brandon
    I plan on switching to a FMIC and getting the piping (either something similar to yours or getting it custom done), but I'm lacking the funds to do that for awhile.

Once that does happen though, I'll have a flange welded for a Greddy Type S BOV I have sitting in my house and make sure the connection is much shorter. I'll also be able to put the battery and coolant overflow back to their stock locations too.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I guess it's time to start saving.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>kind of un-related, but i'll assess the turbo list with questions later, how well did you get the integra pillar pod to fit? thanks</div>

Do i smell a turbo project on the way? :twisted: (you best say yes or else...Titan's mom will drop her Saturday night freebies).

BTW Brandon, great work man. Good to see another turbo galant (its times like these i wish i had the i4 instead of the v6 ). Also hows your a/f looking?

brandon
    I've been able to get my A/F close to zero when the throttle is open at every RPM range, but whenever I let off the throttle I'm running crazy rich.

I'm gonna pull all the IC piping apart this weekend and just make absolutely sure there are no leaks.

hey B how did you get the wastegate to boost 5-6 psi if i could do that then i could send back my tial wastegate
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

brandon
    Wastegate spring is set to 9psi I believe on the 14b, so the only way to hold at 5-6psi is to keep an eye on your gauge and resist the urge to floor it.

haha ic i think id be better off with the external wastegate then thanks for the info tho man

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>i wish i had the i4 instead of the v6</div>

noo dont say things like that. stand proud.

Ryan4g64
    do you have a intake tube from a eclispe too or just use the galant one?

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan4g64
    do you have a intake tube from a eclispe too or just use the galant one?
    I am using the 1G Eclipse tube I believe. It has an extra nipple to recirculate the BOV, the Galant one doesn't (plus I believe the outlet size is different).

Finally got my flange welded on. Heres where my BOV lays. Rather nice fitment if you ask me. Just hafta cut the dump tube a bit and Im set.

7g for life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast