The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stage 2 too much?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Stage 2 too much?

I plan on upgrading my stock engine to SDS shortly, and I was thinking the RIPP stage 2. After reading a couple threads about overpowering the internals, it sounds like this system would have me hitchhiking pretty soon unless I were to do a major engine overhaul. Any advice?

Carlo
    ---------------

99' GTZ
    Pretty much stock everything except for:
    K&N Filter
    2.25" mandrel catback
    Magnaflow universal
    Laguna_Galant ___
    -------------------Lo-o>
    99' GTZ
    Injen CAI
    xir shortys
    magnaflow CAT & back
    Magnacor wires
    Desno Iridiums
    17" stock EVO wheels w/ Yokohama Advans
    Stillen rotors

Experienced TGC Member
    Yep. Youll need some work done to your engine and your tranny to support Stage 2.

BlankMan
    No. You won't.

Jet - are you running stage 2?

You'll need a tranny cooler - that's the only thing not included in the kit. I'd recommend a B&M or other name brand cooler that uses a regulator to keep tranny temps at optimum (it's possible to run too cold and create sludge or varnish build-up).

I should qualify my post by saying the key word is "need" and this assumes normal to moderate driving - i.e; drive with sense. If you plan to kill the engine with alot of racing, holding at high rpm's etc., then, yes, you'd be best to look at internal upgrades.

J

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i think it's safe to assume someone with an SDS stage 2 kit will probably be racing it, unless they're a complete moron and wants all that power to just get groceries and come back, then you're just right for california with all the ferraris that never go over 80mph!
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

BlankMan
    um, yeah. I guess I failed to make my point clear. There's a difference between (1) occasionall bursts of speed or taking advantage of the added horsepower and (2) killing your engine with constant abuse. Get it?

Using the same argument, you could say the same type of driver with a stock engine really needs internals - after all, take a factory engine, abuse it in the same fashion and your prone to premature failure.

BTW - I guess I'm a moron b/c my car is a daily commuter and I really only take advantage of the SDS on track or meet days? There are many types of drivers - one shouldn't stereo-type because another doesn't drive or believe as one does.

And finally, peano, do you have an SDS? I'm really tired of people throwing in their 2 cents, taking posts off topic with hypothetical responses, add filling space with hear-say and "he said, she said" stuff. Actual, factual data wins hands down in my book.

Laguna - best thing to do for yourself is call RIPP. Talk with either Cody or Carmine for a straight answer from the horses mouth. Garauntee they give you the same answer I did.

J

TGC Regular
    i say build your engine up

thats what im doing to the altima. in the long run it will be well worth it. no point in only doing half what you can and having to redo it all later. get everything done the first time

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    if a person uses their car as a daily commuter, and takes it to the track on weekends....

they would be racing it...now wouldn't they

yes, i dont have an SDS, but it's still a type of forced induction on an engine, the basic rules apply, go take your asshole comments somewhere else about my hypothetical suggestions. just because YOU may or may not have an SDS kit, doesn't mean you're the only person that's allowed to answer this post. grow up.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

BlankMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>..go take your asshole comments somewhere else about my hypothetical suggestions...</div>

Ouch. Sorry, if I knew you were so sensitive, I wouldn't have commented.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>..grow up...</div>

Okey dokey. I'll slink back under my rock and let the mis-information flow...

J

I have a SDS Stage 2 Galant. As long as you run the meth injector and trans cooler I dont see a problem. 11psi was never a problem.
    Love,
    Matt

I was talking it over with my tech today and I think I'll start out with stage 1, see how the power goes and if I need more or think I want to be more aggressive I'll kick it up to stage 2, but at least I'll have the basics.

After speaking to a couple reliable sources I believe it is safe to run a supercharger on stock internals as long as you have taken good care of the engine (ie tune ups etc) and don't plan to race it competitively.

Also, I was told that the larger injectors in the stage 2 kit may pose difficulties passing California Emissions. Don't know if anyone has run across this. Just thought I would pass it on.

I appreciate the feedback

Carlo
    Laguna_Galant ___
    -------------------Lo-o>
    99' GTZ
    Injen CAI
    xir shortys
    magnaflow CAT & back
    Magnacor wires
    Desno Iridiums
    17" stock EVO wheels w/ Yokohama Advans
    Stillen rotors

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a SDS Stage 2 Galant. Â*As long as you run the meth injector and trans cooler I dont see a problem. Â*11psi was never a problem.</div>

But what about the whole piston-melting issue?

Though Blankman your right, as Ripp's site says this can be run on stock internals. I was thinking about the Stage 3 (got confused the stage 2 for stage 1.5[which was the norm for a while]. BTW How long have you been running Stage 2?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Laguna_Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also, I was told that the larger injectors in the stage 2 kit may pose difficulties passing California Emissions. Don't know if anyone has run across this. Just thought I would pass it on.

Carlo</div>

I'm pretty sure stage 1 wont pass a smog check in cali, let alone stage 2.

The melted piston came from the AFR being hooked up incorrectly.
    Love,
    Matt

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt
    Ahhh that will do it. So is your sds back on? Are or you waiting till end of summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna_Galant
    Also, I was told that the larger injectors in the stage 2 kit may pose difficulties passing California Emissions. Don't know if anyone has run across this. Just thought I would pass it on.

Carlo
    once you put on any headers that you will probably need w/ an SDS (they recomend their RIPPMODS headers for the 3G), you will automatically fail emissions in CA [unless you find headers w/ the precat too (calispec has pre-cats and main cat), which to my knowledge are not made anywhere]. boosting your car in CA means you need to either return it to stock every 2 years for smog check or find a smog check that will "pass" it for you for a small fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt
    Ahhh that will do it. So is your sds back on? Are or you waiting till end of summer?
    I cant wait till the end of summer. I plan on running the SDS as stage 1 for a bit. Then add back the overdrive pulley and meth. I never did get the meth running right since i was going thru plugs every couple weeks.
    Love,
    Matt