The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Regular or Premium gas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34

Regular or Premium gas?

I have a 2001 v6 model, and it says premium only. What do you guys use? Its it cool to swictch off or whats the best way to do it/

premium only

i switch off, between premium and regular. don't do it too often now. but one thing i did realized when i used regular was that my gas mileage was lower than it was with premium. so i'd end up using more gas. so i went back to just using premium. in my mind, i feel like im saving money if i go to teh gas station less.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

what would you guys recommend using in the I4

Quote Originally Posted by steve18sccc
    use only 87 octane.
    anything else is a waste of money, and can cause drivability issues, a loss of milage, and excessive engine deposits if used in a car not designed for it.

I use Premium on my G....(4cyl 2.4 L 02 ) I tried the lower octanes and she didnt like it at all. I know for a fact that the previous owner used the cheaper stuff and you could tell, deposits in the Throttle body and around air intake valve. Spark plugs were replacements and given that she ( I say she in referecne to the previous owner only because I found makeup under drivers seat that the detailers missed. ) may have replaced them after the car was a year old ( they were Black!!! ) thats pretty bad...

recenlty after cleaning out the throttle body and replacing spark plugs I checked both to see how they were coming along... spak plugs were still clean after a month and a half , and daily stop and go driving, and throttle body is clean as a whistle.

Like Pinoy I also get better gas mileage A tank will usually last me a week.

a trip to San Antonio and back is a half tank . given that SA is about 125 + miles from my thats pretty good.

yeah its alil more expensive but given the problems that can come up by using cheaper gas and the mileage issues Im willing to pay the extra for the premium stuff.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i get a lot better mileage with premium, and i can feel a slightly better pickup as well.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    Quote Originally Posted by steve18sccc
    use only 87 octane.
    anything else is a waste of money, and can cause drivability issues, a loss of milage, and excessive engine deposits if used in a car not designed for it.
    If I was you I'd listen to manybrews he is a experienced Mitsu Tech, and he knows what he is talking about.

nrgizeman
    yeah i have 4 cyl and doesnt make much difference between premium and 87 on mpg. premium does give you smoother ride but its not worth it. trust me on this one since i drove non-stop from maryland to illinois.

Smoothy
    Using higher octane fuel for your I4 does not make any difference. For those that say it does, or that its cleaner, its either all in your head or there is something wrong with your engine.

xSILENTx
    use only 87 octane.
    exactly

the only time you should be using premium on a 4cyl galant is if your running some kinda engine modification that requires you to run premium fuel. unfortunately, most of the guys here don't meet the criteria. so just save your money and go with regular.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BlankMan
    I have an I4 and can ONLY use 91-92...

J

Quote Originally Posted by -=Haz=-
    I use Premium on my G....(4cyl 2.4 L 02 ) I tried the lower octanes and she didnt like it at all. I know for a fact that the previous owner used the cheaper stuff and you could tell, deposits in the Throttle body and around air intake valve. Spark plugs were replacements and given that she ( I say she in referecne to the previous owner only because I found makeup under drivers seat that the detailers missed. ) may have replaced them after the car was a year old ( they were Black!!! ) thats pretty bad...
    youre actually doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing, and the engine deposits are normal.
    EXCESS engine deposits will be caused from using higher octane gas in your engine. its designed for 87. anything else is a TOTAL waste of money.
    The only advantage you have from using higher octane in the 4 cylinder is in your head.

yeah its alil more expensive but given the problems that can come up by using cheaper gas and the mileage issues Im willing to pay the extra for the premium stuff.
    theres a huge difference between using "cheap" gas, and gas thats lower in octane.
    you can get "cheap" gas thats plain old crap at a lot of little town type places. but regular 87 octane gas from Holiday, Amoco (BP), SA, or any of the major gas outlets is exactly what you should be using.

J Reezy
    very useful informaiton. I guess I was fooling myself the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Haz=-
    youre actually doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing, and the engine deposits are normal.
    EXCESS engine deposits will be caused from using higher octane gas in your engine. its designed for 87. anything else is a TOTAL waste of money.
    The only advantage you have from using higher octane in the 4 cylinder is in your head.

theres a huge difference between using "cheap" gas, and gas thats lower in octane.
    you can get "cheap" gas thats plain old crap at a lot of little town type places. but regular 87 octane gas from Holiday, Amoco (BP), SA, or any of the major gas outlets is exactly what you should be using.
    These are words of wisdom talking.

Follow your manual.... it's there for a reason. If you would require premium it will tell you.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i can't speak for the engine deposits and direct effect on the engine, but in MY car, i get better mileage when i use premium, the car is slightly more responsive at WOT, and i need it for the n2o (92octane, actually)

in my friend's focus and my other buddy's civic, i feel no difference with regular/premium, and they say they dont see any difference in mileage. go mitsu woot woot
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

galant00
    in jersey they have premuim 93 silver 89 and regular 87.. i use premuim but i am going to start using silver 89 soon..

tolowbass
    I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY RIDE BUT WHEN I PUT IN REG GAS I GET HESSITATIONS WHEN ENGINE IS COLD AND I ALSO NOTICED LIFTER TICK. NOW I SWITCHED TO MID GRADE AND PREMIUM AND I NO LONGER HAVE ANY TYPE OF PROBLEMS. MY CAR IS MORE RESPONSIVE AND RUNS SMOOTHER. IVE CLEANED THE THROTTLE BODY CHANGED THE PLUGS AND WIRES AND USED FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER. WHAT COULD BE WRONG? EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE ILL GO BACK TO TRYING REG GAS AND I COME UP WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS.
    PLEASE HELP ME OUT

regular vs premium

I clear my trip meter every time i fill up to monitor my mileage. I used 87 octane for about a year and I avg 290 miles per tank. When I made the switch to premium this past summer I've been averaging 310 even while using the AC. I always use Chevron and my 2nd option is Exxon. Never no name gas.

Here's the math of my situation:
    regular gas 3.60/gal X 14 gal = 50.40
    premium gas 3.90/gal X14 gal = 54.60
    difference = 4.20

Looking at the money side if I bought 15 gal of regular it would cost me .60 cents less than 14 gal of premium and get the same mileage

But I believe the smoother ride is worth 60 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast