The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cat back/axle back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

cat back/axle back

Hey guys, i was wondering if company made an axle back, or cat back for the 7g? im looking to redo my whole exhaust system, from headers to muffler, once i get my B.K. put on. so, any help would be aprreciated. I saw one on EBAY, but it was only a drawing, and not an actual picture of the item.

Mindless

Re: cat back/axle back

Quote Originally Posted by Ositoyb
    Hey guys, i was wondering if company made an axle back, or cat back for the 7g? im looking to redo my whole exhaust system, from headers to muffler, once i get my B.K. put on. so, any help would be aprreciated. I saw one on EBAY, but it was only a drawing, and not an actual picture of the item.
    Nope, you'll have to get one custom bent. I'd just run a high flow cat or a test pipe if I were you.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Custom catback exhaust will have to be done for out 7g's.

Pro- Cheaper than a manfactured exhaust
    Con- Make sure they do it right, if not..your SOL.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

brandon
    Also, look to spend around $250 or so, depending on where you live, etc.

yea, thats what i thought. i AM planning on getting a HF Cat. but just to make sure i have everything im going to need:

1. Headers (already got)
    2. Aftermrket Flexpipe (already got)
    3. High Flow Cat (plan on getting)
    4. Muffler (plan on getting)

now, from what i've seen, i believe i need an addtional piece that conects the flexpipe to the HF cat. And then, im going to need another additional piece that goes from HF cat to muffler, right? what do you guys suggest? i need some opinions for the whole set up, thanks again guys.

the_kage
    im guessing you are NA?
    Wouldnt recommend going over 2 and a half inch pipe. You do need SOME back pressure. Mandrel bent for sure.

If you are shopping for a muffler... I have a brand new one for sale that I bought from Mindless when he was selling for OBX. Its an OBX.. not sure the model number.. and I need to get it gone. Will let it go for cheap. Brandon just bought my hfc from OBX. Let me know...

thanks. yea i'm NA. for this summer, i plan on just doing my new custom sounds w/interior of car incluuding trunk, and exerior, BK,rims, exhaust. im going to start wokring on the spare engine this winterm as-well-as(possibly) the 5 speed swap. but we'll see what happens, 1 thing at a time.

I was under the impression that the 2g turbo dsm cat back fit? Does anyone know for sure?
    You can keep your looks, I'll keep my speed

Experienced TGC Member
    thats why I havnt touched exhaust yet, becaue when I go turbo im gona have to redo the whole thing and spend more money... so..

I think for now Im gona fab up a new exhaust myself defintly wont be mandrel bent but will get the job done. And my welds arent prety at all but they work =D If anyones seen my downpipe they know what I mean lol. I'm thinking of using those big long flexy pipes from the autstore, hard to explain if you dont know what im talkin about it looks lik a flexible straw the flex part is like 4' long though so I can not wory about welding up all the twists and just bend the damn thing by hand, and cut n weld the flanges on the end.

http://jipownz.topcities.com/ site is a lil F*d up since i moved it to a freeserver but my downpipe is on the left side, "had to" get rid of the front cat so replaced it with that. That cost me like $10 to make, I figure the setup to replace the flex section to the catback system will be around $25 Also, no more flex section cause the pipe itself flex's.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

GalantGuy96
    im just gonna take my cat out.
    how much torque would u lose if u change the whole exhaust setup to 3"?
    and whats a b.k?

brandon
    1. I'm pretty sure any 2G exhaust will NOT fit w/o modifications.

2. A lot of places won't install your exhaust if you don't have a cat.

3. Your stock exhaust is 2 1/4... going to 3" on an N/A set up = bad. I did 2.5" for mine.

GalantGuy96
    so will it sound like shit if i take out my cat, and put a otto muffler?
    im going for a loud setup, but not screechy ricey loud.

the_kage
    Not that it would sound like shit.. just HIGHLY illegal. And most exhaust shops won't touch your setup.
    If you live in a state with inspections... your are F'd in the A.
    Get a racing Cat... its the best bet...
    I know the ones from a 2g eclipse will work. Brandon is running one.. and apperantly it is less of a cat and more of a resonator..

Experienced TGC Member
    Illegal...bla... if you have a cop that even knows what a cat is he has to get under your car to see it most likely not gona happen. As for inspection, when you go for it, you put ur stock cat back in place =D

Unless it was a fully welded system, your screwed then.

3" your gona loose all your low end torque not good. 3" on an NA are for ricers who like to say they have a 3" :laughing:

I dont run a cat it isnt that much louder at all, or wasnt until I redid the exhaust and have no gaskets inbetween the flanges so now it roars sometimes and smells like exhaust =D mmmmmm toxic
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Quote Originally Posted by GalantGuy96
    whats a b.k?
    B.K. = Body Kit

so 2.5"(two-and-a-half) would work fine then? kewl thanks again for the advice guys. Once i fiiah my engine i guess i'll upgrade from 2.5" to who knows, lol. thanks again.

so 2.5"(two-and-a-half) would work fine then? kewl thanks again for the advice guys. Once i fiiah my engine i guess i'll upgrade from 2.5" to who knows, lol. thanks again.

GalantGuy96
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    Illegal...bla... if you have a cop that even knows what a cat is he has to get under your car to see it most likely not gona happen. As for inspection, when you go for it, you put ur stock cat back in place =D

Unless it was a fully welded system, your screwed then.

3" your gona loose all your low end torque not good. 3" on an NA are for ricers who like to say they have a 3" :laughing:

I dont run a cat it isnt that much louder at all, or wasnt until I redid the exhaust and have no gaskets inbetween the flanges so now it roars sometimes and smells like exhaust =D mmmmmm toxic
    hahha, jip, u always have the best replies.

im willing to take the risk of no cat, as ice cubes says: "fuck tha police, comin straight from the under ground"

but say i DO get caught, what are the charges in cali?

Experienced TGC Member
    I have no idea, but to get cought you the cop would actualy have to get on his hands and knees to look under your car, thats assuming he even knows what a catalytic converter is and where its located. Most likely NOT going to happen, there is no way by listening to tell a car doesnt have a cat so I doubt they will even have that in mind.

However if any cop was gona get on his knees to look for somethin like that it would be fag cops in LA they are all out to get car dudes.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    shit dude, you live in cali? there's no way you're passing smog if you have an HFC or no cat at all, and to get a taste of what no torque feels like, take off your stock muffler and drive around. sure, it's loud, but you'll be so powerless you'll feel like a civic with 5 fat chicks in the car. i wouldn't even do a exhaust at all over the stock 2 1/4" because you dont really have any mods producing more pressure. 2.5" might not really do anything. some of these guys are upping the diameter cause they're doing something big soon or have a bunch of misc. mods
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast