The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: very simple question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31
    GalantGuy96

very simple question

what are some cheap mods i can do to get some horsepower?

xSILENTx
    I havent spent any money on my engine and dont plan to but i dont think there any any cheap mods that will get you any noticeble power gain. how much were you looking to spend?

GalantGuy96
    mmm......200?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    "Cheap" mod with very noticeable power....for a extra $100, you can feed the Galant with a bottle of nO2 (NOS) if you are the type looking for instantaneous results.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    "Cheap" mod with very noticeable power....for a extra $100, you can feed the Galant with a bottle of nO2 (NOS) if you are the type looking for instantaneous results.

Agreed. Thats the only "cheep" power mod. In the wrong hands will destroy your engine but thats another topic =D

There are cheep "mods" you can do but they wont bring big power or anything close to it. Dont listen to ads or people that say a cai brought them an extra 15 hp, those people just hear the louder soundof the engine from the cai and think sound = power :laughing: most mods in reality bring only like 2hp nothing you will really feel, and the majority are aimed towards high end power while destroying your low end torque, (like a cai does without an afc.) You can get a decent HP gain around 8hp or so from thing like a cai but you need a properly tuned SAFC which itself costs around $350 all mods are useless without a way to retune the car.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

the_kage
    Listen to JiP... first thing get an Safc.. you can get them on ebay for around 200.
    It its self should give you a nice little gain because you gain control.
    Then when you start adding things like, intake, cams, gears, headers, exhaust... you can remap your ecu to actually get the BEST use out of them.

Experienced TGC Member
    Kage just blew the kids budget big time lol.

Put it like this...cars are not a cheap hobby AT ALL. Cost mucho denero to make real power. You kinda got to make a plan, ask yourself what do you want to accomplish and then you can build little by little. You start small like cai, add the afc later, learn to tune it a lil, then you throw a test pipe in, a month later your doin a 60mm tb swap, then you get a datalogger, then you start buying turbo parts off ebay, a year later after collecting all your turbo parts and researching you turbo...

then your tranny explodes and you start collecting parts for a 5speed swap...

All this will cost u a shitload...but If you do it like I do it, a lil here and there it feels cheeper lol. It took me like a year and a half to collect all the parts I needed for headswap and more importantly the knowledge needed to understand how to swap and fix problems that may come up. $100 here, $50 there...wasnt bad at all, but if I went out and bought all the parts at once thats like $850 instantly out of my pocket it feels so much worse like that lol.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Yes...getting "POWER" you can be truly satisfied you will have to spend $$$$. Trust me....I know, I already dumped over $1200 into my motor and its not even assembled yet :evil: For a budget around $300....NOS is probably the best choice, but even at that...you have to do your homework on it. Very important to use it correctly...or you will end spending $$$$ anyways fixing what you broke.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

the_kage
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    Kage just blew the kids budget big time lol.
    ???

how much were you looking to spend?
    mmm......200?
    first thing get an Safc.. you can get them on ebay for around 200.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Heh Ive dumped about $2-3k into my motor :evil:

Its not cheap, even maintenance is expensive. If you want power, you have to spend money. All the cheap mods will not give you big power like JiP said. I used to do it how JiP did, cai here, tb there. But then I said screw it and dumped about $5k haha. So now I am in debt but I will have a fast car
    7g for life!

GalantGuy96
    a little 8 hp here and there is fine with me.
    i just want to waste my time during this next year until i get my next car.
    as many of u know, i was workign on a turbo setup, but then backed out the last minute.
    so i want to just work on my car for a couple of months, and if i get 200 hp total, than thats good enough.
    im just looking for it to be a decent 200 hp without brecking my bank account.
    now with that said, how much power would just getting safc get me?
    (and yes, i DO know what its for just in case your wondering)
    and i dont mean just the safc, i mean wiht all the other stuff im going to get.
    so far im planning on bigger injectors, better spark plugs, msd ignition, msd wires, straight through muffler, remove cat, and better fuel rail if i can.

those are some cheap mods that will get my hp up a good enough distance.

now witht that said.....what are some cheap mods that i can do to increase the horsepower.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    1g 60mm throttle body
    CAI
    Headers
    New exhaust
    RPW Camshaft
    Cam gear
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    with those mods you just listed, you wont be anywhere near 200, even with the S-AFC. you're at 140 stock, and with those mods, even the most optomistic person might say 160 after all that. injectors wont do anything if you're not running any real power mods, cause you're still going to get the same amount of fuel. colder spark plugs will add .5hp, if anything at all. straight through muffler and cat will maybe add 10-15, even thats optomistic. the cheapest mod for money is the n2o route, which is the route i took, but it requires more research than money. i'm running a 55shot and i'd say i'm at 200hp.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

GalantGuy96
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    with those mods you just listed, you wont be anywhere near 200, even with the S-AFC. you're at 140 stock, and with those mods, even the most optomistic person might say 160 after all that. injectors wont do anything if you're not running any real power mods, cause you're still going to get the same amount of fuel. colder spark plugs will add .5hp, if anything at all. straight through muffler and cat will maybe add 10-15, even thats optomistic. the cheapest mod for money is the n2o route, which is the route i took, but it requires more research than money. i'm running a 55shot and i'd say i'm at 200hp.
    oh ya, i was just saying im plannig on getting near 200 by the end of the year.

Experienced TGC Member
    SAFC will not give you power alone, (it can help tune things better and free very few ponies from a stock engine), thats why I say Kage was blowin the budget buying the AFC its not a power mod.

And 140 hp stock LMAO I wish. Stock Galants are around 105-115 average at the wheels and thats what counts. If your not planning to turbo and you want 200hp you'll need like $8grand lol. Cheaper to get the 4g64 high hp with a turbo then it is to keep it NA.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    SAFC will not give you power alone, (it can help tune things better and free very few ponies from a stock engine), thats why I say Kage was blowin the budget buying the AFC its not a power mod.

And 140 hp stock LMAO I wish. Stock Galants are around 105-115 average at the wheels and thats what counts. If your not planning to turbo and you want 200hp you'll need like $8grand lol. Cheaper to get the 4g64 high hp with a turbo then it is to keep it NA.
    yeah, i was talking HP at the crank, and keep in mind that 140hp isn't probably 140 anymore, our cars are almost 10 years old (depending what year) so there's gonna be some lost HP over the years
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

ur not going anywhere with these kinds of basic bolt ons... better save up some dough because in the end ull never be satisfied...no matter what our car is gonna be slow... you can have all these stuff and still be walked on by an older import :? the cheapest mod u can do is probably just a CAI which is probably a 3 hp gain anyways...all the ingition wires, grounding, plugs wont really give u any hp all together anyways, if at all it would even less the the CAI...as for afc...get it towards the end of ur moding list... u wont need it because there will be no hp gain for just an intake and an afc
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Experienced TGC Member
    You got it backwards..there is pretty much no hp gain with a cai WITHOUT an afc.

Another problem that most people have is that they constantly compare their car to something in a different class. Galants are 2.4 4cyl do you really expect to beat a big block chevy v8? Your mods are to make you fast in your class wich would be against other 4cyl. You will beat the hondas and wont be embaressed against a decent 6 cyl, but your not a hotrod, your not gona take on a hemi...not without $10grand of pure racebuilt performance including gutting your interior and dumping ur precious subs and fat gfs

Besides most people just go by quater mile times, and you CAN make a mid 12 second galant without breakin the bank and thats a huge improvement from what it is stock something like mid 17's lol
    =D
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

TGC Regular
    speaking of fast ass n/a 7g's, how's duke doing???

when is we gon be free????

really i remember people dynoing there trying to tune there afc without any gains... my mistake
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast