The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2nd O2 sensor?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    brandon

2nd O2 sensor?

Well I left my 2nd O2 sensor unplugged after getting the new exhaust done... Still haven't had time to play with the pocketlogger either, other than pulling up the CEL codes:

P0136
    P0141

I looked both up in the manual and saw they're both O2 sensor #2 related, so I'm guessing it does need to be there (I remember Jip posted that he had his unplugged but no CEL).

Question is, does the 2nd O2 sensor affect driveability at all? I was under the impression the 1st O2 sensor did the bulk of the work related to air/fuel and the 2nd O2 just sort of processed the emissions data.

Any input is appreciated.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    2nd 02 is just for emissions. Eliminate it!

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html

Or buy an 02 Sim.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    2nd o2 sensor is for emissions. As far as I know it has nothing to do with drivablitiy and is there just to make sure the cat is doing its job. You can build or buy o2 simulator that will take care of the cels. I have one on my car works great.

The first o2 sensor is the important one.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Yeah that's what I thought...

I was hoping it was magically the 2nd O2 that was casuing my low idle/stalling problem.

Time to play with the logger! I'm guessing either my 1st O2 sensor is bad (very likely considering it has 150k on it and didn't look so great), or I'm just running too rich.

Thanks for the replies.

brandon
    Oh yeah Rob, do you still have that O2 simulator you had on ebay?

Experienced TGC Member
    Friend of mine was makin tons of em he gave me 6, ones in my car the otehr 5 sold. You can easily make them yourself for like a couple bucks..but theres always people who dont know how that will buy them.

He says they will work to compeltely eliminate the o2 sensor you have to buy like a 10ohm 10watt resistor to add on the o2 heater wires so u dont get that cel... but I haev never tried it with no o2 sensor at all, I have my 2nd o2 sensor still in the exhaust and the o2 sim tapping the wires.

If you want I'll getcha one for a VERY low price anyone else who wants one too =D PM me. I save the high ebay prices for people who dont know any better lol.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    I'll take one if it's cheap, or if you can let me know how to make one I can do that too.

Going on vacation tomorrow for a week so we can figure it out then I guess...

Finally got around to playing with the logger a little yesterday. It's an amazing tool but damn, tuning is annoying as hell. haha

O2 voltage was reading close to .9v at around 3000 RPM so I guess my O2 is okay... STFTs are hard to keep steady but I got my lo-throttle settings at around +2 or +3 but they jump around some.

Paying for some real tuning is becoming a more viable option.

Experienced TGC Member
    tell me about it...I got a whole other issue with my ecu when I get trims close to 0, if I turn the car off for a lil bit and then start it back up and logg the trims are all out of wack again. I cant ever get them to stay still I duno if its because the car gets cold or what.

My major issue is the LTFT they dont change like they used to on my 4g64 ecu. I make an adjustment after a minute the LTFT would change and the STFT would drop ... on my 95 ecu the LTFT basically just stay where they are until I turn the car off and back on again, wich sends the rest of the adjustments I made all out of wack..
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon