The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What tranny for 6a12TT

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar

What tranny for 6a12TT

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but i waanted to look into the v6tt engine for the vr4, but was wondering what about the tranny.
    I don't think the tranny from a FWD eclipse will fit. Ako was saying the bell shape is different for a 4 cylinder, than that of the tranny for a six cylinder.

Then i was thinking the Galant GS was v6, what about that tranny, would it fit, and does it come in a 5 speed. Any answers would be great.

TGC Regular
    The GS 7g is a 4 cylinder. The only other 6 thiat i can think of that would come close is the 3000gt vr4 tranny

when is we gon be free????

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    this would be impossible to get, but what about a european or JDM spec tranny from an 8th gen TT
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

what about dropping in the 3kgt vr4 engine and then find a tranny for that? 8)

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    i thought that in '94 mitsu released a v6 galant, and it was only available in that year. it wasn't turbo or anything. i'm pretty sure of it, but they are rare. i know this cause if you insure a ls or es, it's the same, but if you insure a gs it's higher, becasue of the engine.

2000GTZ wrote:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>what about dropping in the 3kgt vr4 engine and then find a tranny for that? </div>
    never heard of a 3kgt

Peanot, there are some people who can get us JDM parts. I'm presently working with Ako to get some parts i been looking for. He can get us 6a12TT for about $2000 NZ cash, which he says come out to roughly half in US$. Then the shipping may be killer.

Mindless
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>i thought that in '94 mitsu released a v6 galant, and it was only available in that year. it wasn't turbo or anything. Â*i'm pretty sure of it, but they are rare. Â*i know this cause if you insure a ls or es, it's the same, but if you insure a gs it's higher, becasue of the engine.

2000GTZ wrote:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>what about dropping in the 3kgt vr4 engine and then find a tranny for that? </div>
    never heard of a 3kgt

Peanot, there are some people who can get us JDM parts. I'm presently working with Ako to get some parts i been looking for. He can get us 6a12TT for about $2000 NZ cash, which he says come out to roughly half in US$. Then the shipping may be killer.</div>

No there were no V6 7g's, to my knowledge, released in the US. The only reason that the GS would be higher to insure is because it has a more powerful engine (The DOHC 4g64) therefore it's "sportier".

3kgt = 3000 GT

$1000 for a V6tt :shock: :shock: :shock: . Jesus dude, you've got to find out how much shipping would run and which tranny would work.

Is that complete for $1000 or would you still have to buy the turbo setup, ECU, ignition, etc?

TGC Regular
    I'm a dumbass The vr4 tranny is awd hence the word vr4, so that's out of the question

when is we gon be free????

adbramsay
    i have ripped apart a 6a12tt and the bolt pattern is the exact same as any 3000gt vr4 or not

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    No 8g/3g tranny will fit. The 3kgt 6g72tt sits the same as our 4g64. I do not know how it mounts though. You will need to find out how the 6a12tt mounts to the engine bay, as well as the 3kgt tranny. Im not sure what other tranny would work.
    7g for life!

The 6A12TT mounts up just the same as an early lancer evo does, and uses the same gearbox, in factory form at least. The only difference between the gearboxes is the bellhousing, however I can't say if it is the same or different to a 3000GT one, haven't had a look under one of those big mothers. I DO know that the box out of one won't fit onto a 7G VR4 (mate tried one out on his project car... no joy there), so good luck if you try it

There are 3 mounts from the engine to the gearbox, and one from the engine to the chassis. The gearbox is then secured by a crossmember going under the engine bay. Makes clutch replacements errrm... Interesting the first time you try it Sounds stupid, and yeah, it is. An E39 VR4 makes a LOT more sense when your under it :evil:

If you absolutely run out of options, give me a yell. The FWD gearboxes from an N/A 6A12 galant are a straight fit, and strong enough to handle and absuive driver amd 340hp ish (at a minimum), and I'd say are one of your best options. I was looking at on the other week at a track day, the engine bay looked almost identical to a VR4's apart from the lack of a driveshaft going backwards.

Oh yeah, just for the hell of it, even though I just noticed this post is about... 6 months old, I'm currently looking at getting another 7G VR-4. Pricing on them is about $5500 - $6000 NZD - try putting that into a currency converter to USD, then try not to choke on whatever your eating. Reeeeeeally makes you think "why bother spending this much on mods to an n/a 4cyl... When I could import this for the same." From japan, theyre about half that price. Engines are still going for about the $2K mark, a FWD gearbox to suit is around $700 NZD.
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

andyv6
    guys, can i ride on this topic? i have a 7g 1998 galant with the 6a12 engine with matic tranny (Philippine release). the previous owner, a friend of mine has already had the tranny rebuilt.

my question is, how can i make the tranny stronger? do i get better internals? or do i get the tranny from a 6a12tt? or 6a13tt? do they both just bolt on?

i find the top speed of this car more than enough, but i am just wary of doing any hard acceleration, for fear of blowing the tranny again.

thanks,

andy

Quote Originally Posted by adbramsay
    i have ripped apart a 6a12tt and the bolt pattern is the exact same as any 3000gt vr4 or not
    Do you have pics of your car?
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org