The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Feedback By Advanced/Veteran Galant Owners Needed!

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Dram3000

Feedback By Advanced/Veteran Galant Owners Needed!

I know the following questions have probably been asked many times before, but I only came across this website not too long ago. And as I started looking for my answers through all the old posts on this board, it got deleted.

Let me get to the questions. I want to lower my 2001 Galant, and any feedback I can get will be sincerely appreciated.

1. What brand of lowering springs in your opinion give the best ride (with and/or without stock struts)? And with those springs, can I still ride 4 people in my car without excessive bottoming?

2. Exactly what type of ride would you describe that those springs give in comparison to stock suspension?

3. With those same lowering springs, and a 18" rim with a tire size maximum of 225/40/18...will I ever get any rubbing or any other problems in general, steering fully cranked during a U-turn, etc.?

4. Is a camber correction kit needed with those springs, and/or is there a point where after so much drop, that a camber kit is needed with any springs? I ask this because I have heard a couple people say that with any light drop, (like with Eibach springs) that the car doesn't get dropped enough to need a camber kit.

5. What brand of camber kit would you think goes best with those springs?

6. What are the best prices you know of for those parts, and from where?

7. I'm sure there are other factors I probably don't know of...so any other information I need to consider...please throw it in there.

Thanks, to anyone who responds to this post. All or any information will be greatly appreciated.

Also, props to the creator/s of this website, I can see it allows a lot of people have a place to gather and share. Really cool.

Thanks again, Peace.

Tiptronic
    the kind of springs you go with will depend on the ride you are looking for and the height you want the car to be. i myself went with progress. very aggressive look. the ride was a little bouncy in the beginning, but after a while it went away. considering i'm still using stock struts, thats saying alot

cant really speak to 18in rims, i have 17in, and again, the look is awesome. i have never had any rubbing or turning problems.

when i finally got the camber kit, i went with the INGALLS kit. mine was at -2.7 when i got it done. at the same time you may as well get the whole car aligned. i paid a shop to do the whole thing, and it cost me about $300 including labor. one thing that i didnt take into consideration when i dropped mine, was the fact that i was going to be moving to an area where the streets are for shit. i dont have any problems now, but if i decide to put a body kit on it, i will be asking for trouble for the area that i live. i know this isnt much, but its better than nothing. good luck with your project

galantblue
    I just had my 01 V6 lowered. Used Eibach Pro kit w/stock struts. I have on 18" 225/40/18, my rear now has about 1 1/2 finger to spare. I had my shop rolled in the fender just in case. The front still has 'bout 1 finger space. Did not use the camber correction kit. My guy said there's no need. It rides more sportier, definitely now. With 2 adults (Hefty) at the back, so far has not rub undless I fly thru the pot holes. Added the STB and you could really feel the suspension coming together. Sorry I still don't know how to attach pics to show you my ride. I'll vote for Eibach for now. Hope this is useful.

J. T. Z.
    I have the Eibach pro-kit springs sittin on 18's. The ride is "bouncy" at times but I can't say it would be any better with any other brand of springs with some 40 series tires and stock struts/shocks. With any brand of springs you are going to lose some ride quality. If you have PLUS size wheels it will just make it worse. If you want to look good you have to sacrifice! That's my motto.

i have eibach pro-kit, no complains whatsover.
    Using stock struts/shocks.No problems with anything.
    The ride is not boucy either on my 17s.
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

GSXR70
    215/35/18 on Ground controls, lowered 2.75, ride is decent, kind of bouncy, if i had new shocks would probably ride like stock, on soft surfaces car rides better then stock.

Yesterday I got Eibach pro kit and the car looks very agressive with stock wheels, the ride is a little bit firmer than stock, a little bouncy sometimes (specially in front), and I love it; no needed camber kit

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

Galant_01
    I have the H&R Springs with stock struts. My struts are blown so my ride is really bouncy. The ride is still ok but the handling is amazing. I used to have 18's so you will have not problem with them either.
    But someone on the other boarded posted an article that one of the car mags did with a GTZ with H&R springs and 17's and they got it to handle better than a M3!
    But I like the H&R's! Go for them!

LantBoy99
    Hey I rub with a 18x8 rim and a 225/40/18 tire. Not constantly but over bumps I do. All that you need to do though is get them fenders rolled in the back. I have Intrax Super Sport 2" drop all around. But yeah the handling makes up for the bouncieness. It handles like a dream now. I just been 2 busy lately to get a rubber hammer and roll them rear fenders but I will ASAP.

Dram3000
    Right on everyone...I just want to say that I really appreciate all the feedback so far. It is really giving me some good insight to help me make my decision. Thanks again, peace.

We've given you feedback, so what are you going to go for?
    Love,
    Matt

Dram3000

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs

Thanks again to everyone who offered their feedback, it did help confirm my original choice. I am going to go with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. That seems like the safest bet for me, for now. If I ever want to go lower, I always can just get new springs.

Thanks again everyone, peace.

Dram3000

Couple more questions

On the Eibach Pro-Kit springs for 99-01 Galant, the drop specs are listed for a 6 cylinder engine, which is 1.2" front and 1.0" rear. My Galant is only a 4 cylinder, how much less drop should I expect?