The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CraPPy Lifter Noise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

CraPPy Lifter Noise

Good day 7G-ers,

Love the car..hate the lifter noise i get each cold start. I have a feeling its the wrong oil filter type. Heard from an 8G post that the use Genuine Galant Oil filter will cure the lifter noise problemo?
    mind you after driving for 5mins the lifter noise disappears.

Could it be the oil i'm using too? currently using 15w-50 shell full Syn.
    maybe i should go 20w-50 ?

thanks for your help Guys.

Livn2sk8
    what's the weather like out there? i live in vegas, so my oil gets thin really fast.....ya know? 110 degrees everyday.....

currently its winter..no snow though..abt 2-10min 15-18max.

never had the lifter noise problemo dude? : )

Experienced TGC Member
    everyone gets lifter tick..they get dirty and then tick tick tick tick. lil bit of atf in the oil 200 miles before ur gona do an oil change cleans em out nice and controls the tick. I was thinking of upgrading to 3g lifters they have ahole in them 3 time as large as our lifters so they dont get clogged, and they dont tick, but they are a lil pricey I can deal with the noise.

I tried to drill out a set of lifters so they would match the 3g hole but they are made of like kryptonite, mad hard, cant drill throuhg them gave up.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

8G_GTZ
    where are the lifters exactly and are they something that i can clean in less than a day? cuz mine's getting annoying. or is there some cleaner i can pour in? JiP help bro...

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shogun7g)</div><div class='quotemain'>where are the lifters exactly and are they something that i can clean in less than a day? cuz mine's getting annoying. or is there some cleaner i can pour in? JiP help bro...</div>

pop open that head and there dem be
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shogun7g)</div><div class='quotemain'>where are the lifters exactly and are they something that i can clean in less than a day? cuz mine's getting annoying. or is there some cleaner i can pour in? JiP help bro...</div>

Read his post above... ATF does the trick.

Heya Guys,

thanks for the response to change lifters gonna cost $2000AUD craps. Bradon what does ATF stand for? .. brand name of a lifter cleaning liquid.

i'll try changing to ticker oil and also using genuine oil filters for the galants.
    will post results soon . : )

brandon
    ATF = automatic transmission fluid

I've read a half quart works well.

Experienced TGC Member
    Tranny fluid works..just dont leave it in forever 200miles befoer an oilchange. No need to flush the oil after either just drain the old and pour in the new.

Also the lifters are under the valve cover, bitch to remove them because you have to take out the camshaft which means you must redo the timing belt..and thats a major pain in the ass.

Yet another reason why I wont upgrade. My dohc head lifters come out extremely easy..but redoing the timing is not something I want to do again toomuch pressure lol
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>ATF = automatic transmission fluid Â*

Â*

I've read a half quart works well.</div>

Quart=1 Gallon ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Tranny fluid works..just dont leave it in forever 200miles befoer an oilchange. No need to flush the oil after either just drain the old and pour in the new. Â*
    </div>

Heya Jip, So this has been tried and prove on your 7G ? :shock:

Any specfic ATM?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    4 Quarts = 1 Gallon.
    7g for life!

Livn2sk8
    Good call Seth, I was about to step in....apparently RoOkS has never changed his own oil if he thinks 1 quart = 1 Gallon. HAHAHA, You could have ruined your sh*t man!!!

Hes from another country, Im sure they have a different standard
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    a quart is basically a small bottle of the stuff

when is we gon be free????

TGC Regular
    .... the bottle that it comes in, lol

when is we gon be free????

Livn2sk8
    Hey JiP, do you know if those lifters from the 3G are a perfect fit? If so, i'm gonna look into getting them. Also, are there any aftermarket lifters, performance wise? I mean...they have rods, pistons, cams, springs, valves.....but...never heard of lifters being sold "aftermarket" or whatever you might refer to them as....just curious!!!

Mindless
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Livn2sk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey JiP, do you know if those lifters from the 3G are a perfect fit? If so, i'm gonna look into getting them. Also, are there any aftermarket lifters, performance wise? I mean...they have rods, pistons, cams, springs, valves.....but...never heard of lifters being sold "aftermarket" or whatever you might refer to them as....just curious!!!</div>

here ya go sk8.....I found these a while back:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...ght=lifter+tick

It was never confirmed as to whether or not they fit so you might want to look into it.

I threw a quart of Risoline in before my last oil change and ran it for about 300 miles and then changed the oil. The tick is still there but not as bad. I'm going to add some more in before my next oil change and hopefully it'll help out even more.

My '64 never had any lifter tick, all the way up to 70k(when I swapped). What mileage are you all at and do you have lifter tick?
    7g for life!

Livn2sk8
    I'm at....geesh...164k miles....and yes I have lifter tick....should have replaced those damn things when I had my engine out..... :cry:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast