The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CraPPy Lifter Noise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    Livn2sk8
    haha, after posting that, i realized that I sound like i'm in an AA meeting...

Hi, my name is Brian....and....yes..I have lifter tick...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

ok ok ok , maybe it's only funny to me.....

Experienced TGC Member
    My stock head ticked only 55k on it. And the 3g lifters are a direct replacement for the 1g/2g dohc setup I *THINK* they fit the SOHC but im not 100% sure. They are expensive from mitsu, they pop up on ebay alot for aruond $150 a set (16 lifters).

If you ask me its not worth the trouble to install them unless you are rebuilding a head.

And I religiously use the ATF in the oil about 200 miles before I change the oil, I use whatever ATF is cheap =D The bottle it comes in is 1 quart, use a little less then half the bottle.

Rob
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

nme7
    Ok I've had that lifter tick before. Then I decided to use a can of the oil flush. It basically dissolves all the built up varnish inside your engine. I add the whole can to the oil, ran the engine for a few minutes, then drained and refilled the engine with fresh oil. After that, I have never had anymore lifter tick noise. I now use Vavoline MaxLife oil and change it every 4000 miles or so.

8G_GTZ
    i'm at 158,xxx miles and it's barely there, but just enough for me to go nuts over it. and my damn A/C belt is squealin on cold starts when it's hot out or when i turn my system on. and that's after only 3-4 months ago i replaced that. i'm not usin the damn belt grease either. it makes a huge mess under the hood. i'm just gonna upgrade my pullies now cuz i have a feelin that's what's eatin up the belts.

GrrrRRr its still there!!

Ok bought the engine flush fluid and added it before i drained the oil while leaving engine on for 10-15mins beforehand.
    put on genuine oil filters from mitsubishi and put in Shell Syn 15w-50.

AND...

the bastad still ticks first 5mins in the morning!!!... whyy oh whyyyy.

i guess the next thingy to try is the tranny fluid. either that..or a $2000 lifter change over :!:
    this tranny fluid is for the manuals or autos :?:

the lifter noise doesnt suit the look of this marvlleous 7G !!!

Russian7G
    ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid

Hello All,

Would you believe it!!! 25W-50 Valvoline with GP formula actually reduces the lifter noise!!
    During cold starts in the morning its not as bad anymore. The noise acutally disappears quicker!! perhaps overtime it'll improve and the lifter noise will cease.
    Got the advice from me dad his V6 7G galant was doing the same noise till he put in 20w-50 Top1 oil in there.

Experienced TGC Member
    Isnt that a bit thick?? Crank isnt as happy having to push through thick oil =P
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Livn2sk8
    Thanks to the DSM SITE listed in the "General Posts and Information for the 7G"...I stumbled on to this....

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread...ad.php?t=118213

it's a product, that I ran out to buy today...and WOW, it worked wonders...I even bought the fuel stuff too. It's about $8 - $9 a bottle...but...wow...they even have a power steering fluid...but...I didn't buy that...even though I should.....try it....if it doesn't work, you only lose $8.....also..this oil stabilizer...is f*cking thick haha........but I have noticed nothing but positives thus far...

Experienced TGC Member
    Dude I have played with the lucas display in every autostore I have been in for years. Its the stupid thing with the gears and one side is regular oil you spin the gear the oil makes it up to the 2nd gear and barely coats the teeth of the rest. Spin the otherside with lucas oil stabilzer and the oil flies up all the way to the 4th n last gear and coats EVERYTHING.

I just never actually bought the stuff =P

I have used the fuel treatment...but no fancy displays to play with for that one.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Friend of mine swears by Lucas but I too haven't tried it. I just heard my first ticking a couple weeks ago oddly enough.

wyanns tune-up fluid

Hello All,

Its now Spring here in Oz! and suddenly the annoying belt noise have disappeared!!

anyhow back to lifters.... went out to the auto part shops and picked up a lucas oil stabilizer to put in on me next change.
    The guy there recommended Wyanns Tune Up $8.00AUD so why not.. and surprise2 the lifter noise was quiet at cold startup this morning!! unbelieveable!! :shock: i never believed in these products before.
    I still have the 25w-50 Valvolines in there.

I really should be using 15w-50 on my next change hey??

thanks all.

rooks is your G a v6? cause i've had my 2nd v6 engine on my G and i only got it about 3 months ago... i was told that its only done 70000kms or less... my dad's done the flush and stuff to it.. but i can hear the ticking even if the engine's hot... i use 10w30 for my car as it is the recommended oil viscosity also i have replaced my thermostat to a cooler one, which is 80 degrees as opposed to the 90 degrees. i haven't tried all those additives to my 2nd engine, i wanna get rid of the ticking noise and the sludges around in the engine when i open the oil filler cap... looks disgusting, my dad's engine is so clean internally dunno how he done it.. but i gotta find ways...

Experienced TGC Member
    There shouldnt be sludge inside the oil cap...thats why your ticking lol. whatever happened in there to create any "sludge" has clogged up the lifters. Someone probably didnt change the oil for a very long time or something like that.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

If you can find it - Hunt down some stuff called "Proma.. somethingorather" - I forget the details of it, but its what we all use for it over here. Stops it for about.. Oh - 8000km or so, by which you reeeeally should have changed the oil anyway
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>rooks is your G a v6? </div>
    yep it sure is

Sorry to say but Lucas oil stablizer coupled with shell helix plus 15w-50 doesnt decrease the lifter noise during cold starts AT ALL!!! if not its now louder then when i had the valvoline 25w-50 + Wyanns tune up.
    new geniune oil filter + flushing liquid too.

sad sad sad.....
    I really dont think my galant likes thin oil..... the length and sound of the lifters seems to decrease when i use ticker oil...i know this doesnt makes sense but well its the fact for my 7g anyhowz.

mobil 20w-50 XHP

Just flushed and changed the oil from shell helix 15w-50 plus which done #%@%@ all to mobil XHP 20w-50. The ticking noise only lasted 3-4secs during a cold start this morning..promising. perhaps mobil is the way for this galant.
    didnt change the oil filter though since its only done 400km!!

Could be just a one day fluke.... will post more results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12