The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tps...??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    Russian7G
    He is GS, that means DOHC, that means 94, that means pre-OBD-II..

On this case you can use a voltmeter setup for OHMS. When closed is 0ohms and open I think is 50 or something like that. I can check my book tonight and reply tomorrow.

The TPS generates resistance as it opens and this goes to the ECU to report how much the engine needs to adjust or compesante so the car gets the right amount of gas.

Also on 94 and 95 the dealer can read the codes and or problems with any sensor. No other logger (that is not like 2000$ will do it (as far as I know besides the MUT II reader).

brandon
    Yeah, forgot you were 94 GS... I don't know if the OBD-I pocketlogger software would work or not.

I believe there are expensive dataloggers you can buy that give you the same readings the pocketlogger can (rather than the ones that just read and clear CEL codes).

Livn2sk8
    Thanks for the help guys!

Experienced TGC Member
    Bradon, the AFC will zero out the TPS signal. So if your TPS reads 5% at startup or idling for too long the AFC will report it at 0%. So its kinda not the best way to do it. However if you want to use the AFC the correct way to do it would be to go to the Sensor Voltages menu and look at the voltage levels and set it up as if you were using a volt meter. But since you have a logger, just make sure WOT is 100% you can do it with the key ON engine OFF and just floor the throttle.

And no logger or safc just use a voltmeter I forget the exact voltages off the top of my head though..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Livn2sk8
    what do I hook the voltmeter to? if i put it on the TPS, there wouldn't be any voltage, at least, I wouldn't think so, because i'd have to disconnect it, to use any connections?........forgive me if i'm confused...

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Bradon, the AFC will zero out the TPS signal. Â*So if your TPS reads 5% at startup or idling for too long the AFC will report it at 0%. Â*So its kinda not the best way to do it. Â*However if you want to use the AFC the correct way to do it would be to go to the Sensor Voltages menu and look at the voltage levels and set it up as if you were using a volt meter. Â*But since you have a logger, just make sure WOT is 100% you can do it with the key ON engine OFF and just floor the throttle.

And no logger or safc just use a voltmeter I forget the exact voltages off the top of my head though..</div>

So the AFC will zero it out after idling no matter what position it's in? Interesting.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Livn2sk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>what do I hook the voltmeter to? if i put it on the TPS, there wouldn't be any voltage, at least, I wouldn't think so, because i'd have to disconnect it, to use any connections?........forgive me if i'm confused...</div>

You have to back probe the connector. If your meter has needle like probes your set but most dont, so easiest way is to take a pin and stick it in the back of the connector where the wire goes into the connector and atattch the meter probe to the pin, the negative probe to ground, anything intake manifold will do.

This topic has been covered before its up here somewhere.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

here it goes:

1) you are NOT looking for volts, you are looking for Ohms.

2) Unplug the TPS cable

3) on the tps - make sure is closed.

from left to right (pin1 and pin 4 the ohms should be between 3.5 and 6.5K
    now check pins 2 and 4 - start openning the trottle slowly, it should change slowly if it jumps from like 0 to 50 , as you open it then it has a problem.

Also note that the tps should be at 0 when closed and infinity at full open.

If you need to replace it check that the tps position in the (adjusting bolt in the back by the cable have an openning of .45mm

If you need the voltage check pins 2 and 4 and key on engine off it should be up to 1000 mv.

This is for the 94/95 galant 4g64

Experienced TGC Member
    No offense but thats not really help to anyone without pin numbers. Saying the TPS should be 0 when closed and infinite when open means nothing, the Closed throttle switch thats built into the TPS wich is like pin 3 should be 0 and infinite when open.

And going by ohms wont work well since every tps will measure different the variable resistors inside will be way different from each other in readings. Thats why you go by voltage levels so you can set your individual tps to read the correct output voltage wich is what the ecu will read, not the resistance.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Livn2sk8
    According to my chilton, to properly install the tps back on the TB, all you need to do, is slide it into place, and turn it clockwise all the way, and then screw it down, this way, the slots on the TPS will be all the way touching the screw.....(if you get me).....I did this, and now my idle is back up again, but now, sometimes it's fluctuating, or it sits at 1k rpm or 1200 rpm.......soo....any ideas fellas?

Experienced TGC Member
    Thats because sometimes chiltons is a POS. Your TPS will end up being positioned so the mounting bolts are about in the center of the slots.

From manual cd...just says with no throttle pins 2 and 4 should measure .4v to 1v. Its really a big pain to do with a meter cause you cant get an exact level to get it perfect cause everyones TPS resistance is different and ecu internal parts tolerance are different..and bla.. the best way is just to use a logger so you can see what the ecu see's
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

BY the way, the resistance on a new TPS is supposed to be the same plus or minus a small percentage. This is according to the Mitsu Book not the Chilton. I have lots of books and CD info on the 94/95 Galant and some 95 to 98.

The problem is that the TPS sensor is only one of a few sensors that work in conjunction to allow the car to behave properly.

The TPS works with the following:

IAC, Water Temp Sensor ( The big sensor that is on the head by the water temp sender and turn on the FANS), also uses the EGR and the Speed Sensor. All of this info is forwarded to the ECU were is mixed with info from the Oxigen sensors and then comes up with the necessary adjustments.

So to check for the Idle that varies like our problem we have to really look at the system as a whole. Just looking at this or that does not cut it. I replaced the IAC and found the Water sensor bad.

If you really want to do some real adjustments on this system you will need to replace the ECU and do some more programming utilizing a higher end Diagnostic System.

If I could afford the MUT II tool to use on my car I would have bought it. I think it comes to around 2K for all the parts needed.

Iam currently working on finding something like this to use on my ride without spending lots of $$$$.

brandon
    Used my logger Saturday and my TPS reads 0-1 when closed, 97 when fully open. Too lazy to adjust for 3%.

Livn2sk8
    Any benefits of OBD-I, compared to OBD-II?

Also, depending on which one is better, is it possible to convert from OBD-I, to OBD-II?

just curious, as I'm unable to find a logger for OBD-I, that has much, if any, use.

brandon
    In order to switch to OBD-II, you'd need to swap your ECU.

Because you have the GS, the swap would be a little easier for you as you don't have to do all the coil pack transistor stuff.

Which makes me think, which TB does the GS have?

Experienced TGC Member
    Ye you'd have to swap ecu's, but the only person I know that knows the GS electronics is this guy Nathan on 4g64 yahoo groups. IIRC GS has 2g style intake with a 60mm TB, but I could be wrong.

OBD1 doesnt have much support, obd2 loggers can be bought for $100-$250. It will answer all your questions in 2 seconds, if your TPS is off, your ECT isnt working right, etc etc.. If you do a lot of modding and screwing around its the best tool to have. Its probably not worth the cash for someone who is stock and has a problem every now and then.

the only thing I like better in OBD1 is the knock count. There was a post somewhere about the differences between the 2 a couple months back.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Kind of off-topic, but not really....

When probing the back of the connector how far should the probe go? I had a devil of a time probing the thing and decided I didn't want to ruin the connector.

Also, when adjusting the BISS, I thought backing it out was supposed to raise the idle?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    Kind of off-topic, but not really....

When probing the back of the connector how far should the probe go? I had a devil of a time probing the thing and decided I didn't want to ruin the connector.

Also, when adjusting the BISS, I thought backing it out was supposed to raise the idle?
    I use a sewing Pin or a saftey pin and stick it down in until it stops. If you want to check pull the connector off and check continuity between the pin on the inside of the conector and the sewing pin u stuck in the top to make sure its making contact then reconnect it and do what you gotta do..

And yes the BISS will raise the idle if you back it out. Either your BISS bypass hole that lets the extra air flow through is clogged. Or maybe your IAC is closing to compensate to keep it where the ecu wants it, but never heard of that one before just a guess.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12