The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tps...??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39
    the_kage

tps...??

Went to look at houses yesterday and the check engine light came on.
    Drove down to the friendly neighborhood AutoZone to scan my car for an engine code.
    Two codes came up. Both were Throttle Position Switch/Sensor.
    They wanted $144 for a new one.
    So can I find one on ebay from a 1st gen or any other ride?
    Lemme know...

brandon
    You can't use a 1G, but you CAN use a 2G.

Unless you're swapping or have already swapped to a 60mm TB...

STL95LS

TPS

My local dealer here only charges $85 for a TPS sensor. $144 for AutoCrap unit is unheard of.

Experienced TGC Member
    The 2g ones usually pop up on ebay for like $20

Are your sure its completely busted?? Having any driving/tranny problems? Cause a busted TPS will cause havoc, especially with your tranny changing gears. If your not having any driving issues, clear the code and see if it comes back right away.

What where the exact codes that came up??
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

the_kage
    i dunno if this matters jip.. but im 5 speed.
    umm.. i dont know the exact code.. but I will have it cleared and let you knwo if it comes back.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_kage)</div><div class='quotemain'>i dunno if this matters jip.. but im 5 speed.
    umm.. i dont know the exact code.. but I will have it cleared and let you knwo if it comes back.</div>

Well obviously your tranny wont have shift problems then =D. On the A/T a dead TPS will make your tranny computer go insane it doesnt know where to shift and gets stuck in gears etc..

Rob
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    I'm wondering if my TPS might be the cause of my problems... does the harness that plugs in to the TPS need to have that little metal wire around it? Does it conduct anything?

I broke the plastic on my harness and that metal piece that goes around the outer edge popped out... won't stay in with it broken.

No CEL for it though...

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm wondering if my TPS might be the cause of my problems... does the harness that plugs in to the TPS need to have that little metal wire around it? Does it conduct anything?

I broke the plastic on my harness and that metal piece that goes around the outer edge popped out... won't stay in with it broken.

No CEL for it though...</div>

Nope, that wire is there to apply pressure to keep the harness connected. For some reason they didnt use a connector with those PUSH TO RELEASE things, they had to make life dificult for us. Without the metal part though your connector may fall off just check and make sure its snug if not zip tie it on or something to make sure it doesnt fall off.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Well that's good to know. I was thinking about getting another harness and just wiring it in to be sure, but I think I'll see how my new O2 sensor helps things once I get it.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well that's good to know. I was thinking about getting another harness and just wiring it in to be sure, but I think I'll see how my new O2 sensor helps things once I get it.</div>

Why whats your prob? You just recently turbo'd right?
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Problem is I'm getting idle surge... also feels like fuel cut sporadically while driving.

I'm venting the BOV back to the intake, but nothing changed. My other guess was a leak, but everything seems to be plugged up.

Experienced TGC Member
    Well I assume you have a logger..cause you should =P ..you would be able to tell if your TPS wasnt working right by the logs.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Well that's the thing, what is the TPS supposed to be reading? I figured it'd be reading 0-100 per the throttle opening, no?

i.e. TPS = 10, Throttle is 10% open

Livn2sk8
    Man I wish I was turbo!!!

Experienced TGC Member
    Yes Brandon,

So at idle no foot on gas should be 0% or at max 5%. Some TPS's cant get down to 0% but more importantly WOT must read 100%. So have a friend sit in your car with his foot to the floor on the gas (car ON engine OFF and datalogger conected) and adjust the TPS until it reads 100%, but right on the very edge of just turning 100%. This way with no throttle the TPS will be at its lowest setting possible wich should be 0% but most are around 3-5%. The hard part is tightening the bolts on the TPS without budging the thing and changing the readings.

But other then that, the amount of throttle you give is what the TPS reads, the only way I can think to realy test a TPS is to be in an open parking lot and start from idle and watch ur logger as you slowly give gas until you hit WOT and your TPS graph should be a smooth rise from 0-100% with no dips or spikes or flat spots.

It very well may be a vacuum leak somewhere..
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Livn2sk8
    ok, i'm realizing something as i'm reading this, the TPS is that part that is screwed/bolted onto the front side of the TB right? and has a harness that gets plugged into....

only because...I took my TB off to clean it and when I did this, I took that piece off, if it is the TPS...I just screwed it back on, I was stupid and didn't think it mattered at what position I put it back on. If so, my car has been idling funny lately, example.....goes beyond my "set idle rpm" and then comes back up...only by 100-200 rpm...but, could this be the cause.

Sorry if this is a change of topic for everyone!!!

Experienced TGC Member
    It could be the cause, but lets say you have the TPS reading 20% at idle, the ecu thinks the throttle plate is open 20% and is gona dump more fuel, its not gona care about controling idle because it thinks the throttle is open..etc.etc... so fix it =P
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    I actually made sure the TPS was in the right position by using my AFC. I remember after taking off the TPS and re-installing it at some point, my throttle reading was showing 5%+ with it closed shut.

After some adjusting (to around 1% while closed), it slowly corrected itself to 0%.

I just looked through a new log on my lunch and noticed at idle (600-800RPM, closed throttle), the TPS was reading 1 on the logger, where I know the AFC had to be showing 0%.

Close enough I suppose. I also found that I'm running pretty rich, so I'm gonna make some adjustments later.

Planning a trip to the track on Sunday.

Livn2sk8
    Is there anyway of adjusting the TPS without having a logger? I don't have one, also, where can I get one? obviously, it is something of importance....and how much am I looking at? and i'm not wanting something cheap in quality, but nothing overly priced, ya know? Thanks in Advance!

brandon
    You can adjust your TPS whenever you want, but you won't really know how accurate it is without a logger or AFC.

You can buy the software from www.pocketlogger.com and then you'll just need to get a compatible palm. It'll run you around $200 but it's money very well spent if you plan to modify your car.

Also hope you are OBD-II if you do get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast