The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wet Sock Smell

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Wet Sock Smell

I have a 2003 "G" and everytime I turn my A/C on, it smells like a wet sock. Now I know this topic has been revisited, but reading from the other posts, the "G" does not have a filter on the inside of the car. I changed my air filter under the hood since I just made a year with my car and I thought that would work! WRONG!! i STILL STINKS. Does anyone know for sure whether or not there is a filter on the inside of an 03 "G"? If so, where is it located at? Thanks

BlankMan
    No in-cabin filter. And even if there was, that's nto the problem. A search for "dirty socks" LOL - will give you
    this which provides a solution for you.

Also check out http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly...y/aa071601a.htm .

J

No way!! Then what's that thing behind the glove compartment? I discovered this when I read the Haynes' Auto repair for the 8G. I unscrewed it and found a dirty air filter! Now finding a replacement one is a bitch but there is one out there. Or the it could be left over water in the A/C pipe leading to the vent. Try putting a wet sock in your air vent. Now if only I could replace it with a K&N filter...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G-spot)</div><div class='quotemain'>No way!! Then what's that thing behind the glove compartment? I discovered this when I read the Haynes' Auto repair for the 8G. I unscrewed it and found a dirty air filter! </div>

J was answering for the 2003. the cabin filter was deleted mid year of 2001 because it was causing more problems then it was helping

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G-spot)</div><div class='quotemain'>Now if only I could replace it with a K&N filter...</div>

why would u want to put a k&n filter for a cabin filter. that seems so smart. the key to the k&n filter's great filtration is that the filter is [size=18]<span style='color:red'>OILED!!!</span> I dunno about you, but i think breathing in pollen and all those other particles in the air is just as bad as breathing oil.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

rainfever
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G-spot)</div><div class='quotemain'>Now if only I could replace it with a K&N filter...</div>

why would u want to put a k&n filter for a cabin filter. that seems so smart. the key to the k&n filter's great filtration is that the filter is [size=18]<span style='color:red'>OILED!!!</span>

Yea, in hindsite, breathing oil was probably not the best thing for me, i would suggest avoiding this practice...

JGMaverick
    Where can I find a replacement filter for the 99' Galant?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JGMaverick)</div><div class='quotemain'>Where can I find a replacement filter for the 99' Galant?</div>

the only direct replacement filter for the cabin filter is the one for the dealer. if you go to the dealer its like around 40-50 bucks. the reason its so expensive is that it is a HEPA filter. that means good filtering.

you have options though

if the actual element is in good shape, you could just clean it. i soaked mine in bleach for a while to make sure every1 that was growning on it died and cleaned it off with some water. i made sure it was dry before i put it back in

washing the filter worked for a while but over time, its time for a new one. i took one of the high quality home furnace filters and cut it into the size of the cabin filter and used that. it most likely won't be as good as the hepa filter but i guess if its good enough for my house, its good enough for my car.

or if you are really poor, just delete the filter. in other words, forget about it. remove the filter element and justslide the tray back in.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

datdude305
    ok at the base of the windshield and the top of the hood in the ac intake the plasic ribs there yuh put the key in accessory and put the air full blast ull here it get lysol disinfectant spary and spary this in short brust make sure noone is in the car (i felt sorry 4 my g/f i didnt take that step) when ur happy with this then fabreeze the whole in interior so if it starts up agin u can smell it asap so it dosnt get as bad next time and if u ever wanna touch up just spary some air freashener for a quick fix