The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G 4g63t Swap Tutorial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

7G 4g63t Swap Tutorial.

Im bored and I like to write tutorials so here is your basic 4g63t swap for a 5spd 7g:

4g63t Swap Tutorial:

Parts list:

-Complete 4g63t. Heres the run down 90-91 4g63ts out of T/E/L are all 100% 6bolt motors. Early 92s(I believe before May are 6bolts, the rest are 7bolts. The strongest motor is of course the 6bolt. 92-94(1g) 7bolts are descent as well but still have a chance of crankwalk. 95-99 T/E 4g63ts are all a different 7bolt block and are most prone to crankwalk, so stay away!
    -6bolt/7bolt FWD Flywheel(whichever motor you do go with)
    -Clutch. All 90-99 T/E/L clutches are the same
    -1g or 2g ECU. 2g ECU by far offers the best performance as the 95 ECUs are already socketed with EPROM and are ready for DSMLink. Also 2g ECU is very easy to wire and is OBDII. Also 2g GSX ecus do not have a speed limitter at all, GST ECUs are governed at 137mph if that matters to anybody haha
    -2g ISC
    -2g Knock sensor
    -BOV. 1g BOV > 2g BOV always. 2g BOV is a POS plastic leaking lawn ornament. A crushed 1g bov is good beyond 20psi.
    -IC Piping(custom or maybe stock 2g piping)
    -SMIC/FMIC
    -GST Tranny + GST axles(optional if you dont use a 7g tranny)
    -1g Power Transistor
    -Intake pipe. I used a 2g Dejon tool hard intake pipe with dump tube. You can use any intake pipe, I think they are all the same.
    -Conefilter + MAS adaptor

Parts you use off your 4g64:
    -Driverside engine mount
    -Tranny
    -Tranny mounts
    -Engine Harness
    -Starter
    -Alternator + hardware
    -PS Pump + hardware
    -MAS(7g uses the same MAS as the turbo 2g)

First off your 7g 5spd tranny WILL bolt up fine to any 1g/2g 4g63t. Next you mus mod the '64 driverside engine mount so it will clear the water pump. Just grind off the first bolt hole. Heres mine, I used a dremell and a few cut off wheels:
    Before:

After:

Bolt up the newly modded mount, cut the timing belt cover(plastic) so it will fit over the '64 mount. Now your 4g63t is ready to be dropped into your now empty engine bay I removed my radiator so I would have plenty of room to play with:

Mounts all bolted up:

Now is the fun part. Wiring! Just start plugging things in. I hope you labelled every single wire or else you will be having a hayday trying to figure out where everything goes. Now I dont nkow how to wire the car for a 1g ECU. I used a 98 GSX ecu and followed robs 2g ECU swap tutorial located here:
    http://jipownz.topcities.com/ecuswap.htm

All the wiring info is there for your pleasure. Its really not that hard, really! After you have everything wired up you now only have one problem. As adressed my magnus motorsports, the misfire CEL which will prevent you from starting your car after you turn it off unless the CEL is cleared by a logger.
    http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/article_1g2g.htm

If you cannot get a working tach signal with the power transistor you will have to buy a 1g or aftermarket(I think MSD makes one) tach adaptor and wire it up.This is a basic 4g63t tutorial. I have done my swap with these articles and with the help of certain people(jip, moosh, craig, 4g64 group, DSMTuners, ect). I will probably add more to this in a few days/weeks/months. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Now everything is pretty much set up. Misc things like intercooler pipng and intercooler selection will vary on which setup you go with. I went with a 25x8x3 FMIC and I custom made my own intercooler piping out of 2 90* mandrel bends and 2 180* mandrel bends.

Tadaaaa! Instant 4g63t powah! I know I left things out, I just cant think of them as of now so dont use this as an EXACT tutorial. I just roundedu p all the info for you guys and added some of my input...

One more thing, if you do not want to have a rats nest of vaccuum lines and emissions crap, block off your egr using a block off plate and follow this diagram(thanks to taboospeed)
    7g for life!

galant955

4g63T swap

hi everyone,
    im from ny,do you know anyone who can install the 4g63T in my bone stock galant. it only has a K@N intake and magnaflow exhaust.
    thnks

Experienced TGC Member
    what part of ny?
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

galant955

4g64 swap

im from staten island,ny

thanks for the turtorial and you've help me make up my mind. i'm going to go performance now and i want a 4g63t engine except i think im going to go with the auto route.

jus curious but whats your 1/4mile with the engine?
    05 - Scion tC
    95 - Mitsubishi Galant S
    K&N FPIK Intake ; KYB GR-2s ; Eibach Pro-Kit
    Currently in Project:
    DOHC (i jus need a few more parts)
    AT Built Tranny (just need axles)

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    galant955, yea mitsubishi graveyard, right in LI

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    the 2g ecu swap tutorial isn't working.

A few questions come to mind. I'm getting a jdm 6bolt 63t, but i want to go with a 2g gsx ecu. What problems did you have, if any with the wiring? Do most engines come with the harness? Any suggestions where to buy an ecu?

I'm also guessing the 6blt 63t will come with the more restricting exhaust manifold. i have a 2g exhaust manny in case it is true. How can i tell once i get the engine?

I editted Magnus' diagram and added the coil pack/power transistor wiring as well.

As for the Tach wire, I would recommend wiring it to the original wire on the Distributor rather then running a wire straight to the ECU since the original wire splics off and goes to the cluster tach.

And here is a working link to JiPs tutorial.
    http://www.iamsethmo.com/Manuals/ecuswap/ecuswap.htm
    7g for life!

I know this will sound dumb to the more knowledgeable crowd but this tutorial is it ONLY for the 5spd? If so then can i run the head swap tutorial on any kind of tranny? Thanks
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    anything on 63 rs'?? nice tutorial man!! very informative.. but which 63s have the belts towards the driverside?? i was wondering of getting the one that has all the belts and stuff towards the drverside.. thanks

hey Seth is it possible to combine a 4G63 cylinder head and a 4G64 block?

and why does a Hyundai Elantra I found in the junkyard have what appears to be a 4G63 engine in it, with Hyundai stamped on it?

Other oddities I found yesterday included a 6G with 4G63 on the bulkhead id tag and a 7g 4g64 engine in it. Mounted to a five speed.
    I also found a stripped 95, a stripped 96 and a stripped 97 galant, all of them had the lip of the front bumper cut open. lol
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

The 63 head can be combined with our 7 bolt 64 block, you must fill 4 oil drain holes though. There is nothing really odd about those other engines, Hyundai used many Mitsu based engines under different codes such as G4CS.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Some Elantras has Non-turbo 4g63 motorts. And the motor in the 6g was a SOHC 4g63 2.0L motor. Looks likes a 4g64, but its not.
    7g for life!

oh wow, those two engines are like almost twins. I should have taken a picture becuase I was looking all over it and I couldn't find a distinguishable difference between it and the one in my 7g. The big difference is on the inside
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

so

theoretically, it would be cost effective to get the cylinder head off of the Elantra 4GCS , and it is possible to use on a 4G64 block becuase of the similar design, but is there anyone in TGC or any posts here about that Frankenstein project actually being done?
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Just pay for a 4G63T head if you really want to pursue this. I'm currently doing the swap, but I'm injured atm so things are on hold. This swap is discussed a lot on DSM forums and there are a few posts on this forum about it too.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

or just headswap your 4g64 and call it a day....
    click my sig

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

The 4gcs in the Hyundais has a poopy SOHC head. DSMers who use the 4gcs motor do a 1g or 2g DOHC headswap.
    7g for life!

no this Elantra had a twin cam head that looked identical to a 4g63 dohc head but it was black and said Hyundai instead of Mitsubishi
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

ok now i have a 1g 63t with complete uncut harness and ecu and would like to know if its possible to rewire that into a 95 galant? I know it isnt a walk in the park to rewire all of this but i just need some info on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast