The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Port and Polished Question

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    shsp8baller

Port and Polished Question

How much of a difference will I see if I get my 4g64(SOHC) port and polished?

How much does it cost?

Or should I just get a DOHC head swap?
    and how much would that cost?

Thx
    Josh

orangbaligila
    get a DOHC head, polish the new head, then install,...

a DOHC head will give you more power, and mosre importantly,.. a better potential for tuning than the stock SOHC

jusblaze
    Well i am getting my sohc ported polished milled valve stemed, and gasket work done this weekend so i will be able to tell u if the sohc is pretty good. Plus how much modification do u have to do to add the dohc on.

jusblaze
    Well i am getting my sohc ported polished milled valve stemed, and gasket work done this weekend so i will be able to tell u if the sohc is pretty good. Plus how much modification do u have to do to add the dohc on.

shsp8baller
    jusblaze:How much does it cost to get it port and polished?

orangbaligila:Where can I find a DOHC head? ebay or what?

Thx for the help so far

jusblaze
    Well at the place i am going the guy charges 500 for a stage 3 which is everything, mills the head, port polish, valve stems, new gaskets, and i think some more. Then another between 250 and 300 for labor. It takes about a weekend at the shop he sends it to. I will get the specific and post it for anyone who is lookin to get this kind of work done.

brandon
    There's a lot of good information here:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/search.php

and if you're too lazy (this time only):

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...&highlight=dohc

Experienced TGC Member
    Dont look for a 100hp gain cause its not gonna happen =P
    If your looking for cheap horsepower get NOS, or if you dont want NOS get a turbo. But If your planning to build your engine up little by little DOHC will give you more power and more MOD options for future upgrades. I got 90% of my parts off Ebay for my headswap, the only thing I bought from dealer was timing parts like belts n pulleys, and head bolts.

But nothing in life is cheap, for the price I paid to headswap (around $800 I think) You could turbo and get much more power. All depends what your goals are.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

hi.... porting your head *Will* allow a good amount of air....
    but you need more than just air to make the power you want.

you'll need a way of gettign that air in, and out
    and then the fuel to mix it With
    plan on needing a full 2.5" Exhaust, and custom intake manifold To make it work well.

if you do nothing but open the intake/exhaust ports
    and a valve-job, I'd plan on a more-lively top-end, but little low/mid gains
    especially With the Stock ECU

also.. "port And polish" is not The correct term...
    it's just port-work or porting.
    you will sound like a ricery know-nothing if you tell people you are having ANYTHING ported and polished.

as Well, anyone marketing work being ported and polished is either a: marketing to riceboys, or is one himself who is selling something he knows little about.

that's my free money-saving advice..
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

shsp8baller
    Thx everybody

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>hi.... porting your head *Will* allow a good amount of air....
    but you need more than just air to make the power you want.

you'll need a way of gettign that air in, and out
    and then the fuel to mix it With
    plan on needing a full 2.5" Exhaust, and custom intake manifold To make it work well.

if you do nothing but open the intake/exhaust ports
    and a valve-job, I'd plan on a more-lively top-end, but little low/mid gains
    especially With Â*the Stock ECU

also.. "port And polish" is not The correct term...
    it's just port-work or porting.
    you will sound like a ricery know-nothing if you tell people you are having ANYTHING ported and polished.

as Well, anyone marketing work being ported and polished is either a: marketing to riceboys, or is one himself who is selling something he knows little about.

that's my free money-saving advice..</div>

see that's the shit I'm talking about (I actually haven't said anything, but just bare w/ me ) great post like this need to be more of a kind... there are a few on this board that post crap that have actually have to do w/ :
    1) the topic (even though I know I'm going off topic right now)

2) getting the facts straight

the few that i can think off the top of my head that are great answerers are:

pinoyesv6, jip, g96nt, seth, and sometimes peano, lol...

sorry about this little rant, just had to get it off of my chest... back to topic

when is we gon be free????