The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G Auto -> 5spd conversion...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 92
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'> The auto ones are shorter then the 5spd ones says peano.</div>

this is correct. the auto ones are no longer than an inch, but the 5spd ones are about an inch and a half, with only the lower half threaded. highly recomended you buy new ones.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    Schematics for the starter don't seem right... I may have gone retarded and read them wrong but they say the A/T has no starter relay circuit completes when you turn the key and it is in park or neutral, outside of P/N the path is broken and car won't start but not because of a relay but because of the P/N switch. The M/t is shown as having a relay that is controlled by the clutch pedal, clutch pedal switch completes the circuit alowing the relay to swap positions and supply the starter with the + side to start up.

Are you guys who swapped installing the clutch position switch or ignoring that all together?
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yeah everyone who converts has to install a relay for the starter. Not sure how everyone is wiring it, but theres several different ways it could be done.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    well acording to these diagrams, and peno's site...tying the black/yel wires together means no realy...but that also means you could start the car with the clutch in and car possibly in gear...

lazyness vs saftey issue. lol
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    hmm When i was pulling my pedals from the donar G for the clutch i noticed that there was a type of plug / connection that was hooked to the clutch pedal. Could this have something to do with the relay JIP is talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    hmm When i was pulling my pedals from the donar G for the clutch i noticed that there was a type of plug / connection that was hooked to the clutch pedal. Could this have something to do with the relay JIP is talking about?
    i think that later model 7Gs used a switch on the clutch pedal to prevent the car from being started unless the clutch was pushed in. pretty much any brand new car you buy wont let you start it unless the clutch is in. doesn't matter if the shifter is in neutral, but it prevents idiots from starting their car in gear.

whats the point of caring if you're just gonna throw it all at a shop anyways

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Heh most 1g/2g guys disconnect that switch anyway. YOU cant have that switch plugged in if you want to use a remote start. Just make sure you have a good e-brake and its not in gear. No biggie 8)
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    Thats exactly what i'm talking about. Thats the clutch position switch..pretty much the same as the Brake position switch. When you hit the clutch the switch grounds the starter relay, so that if you were to turn your key to START the starter will turn over. If your not on the clutch the switch holds the starter relay's ground open, so if you turn the key to START the power from the bettery never gets to reach the starter, this way you can't accidentaly start the car while its in gear, in gear or not the clutch won't be connected to the engine with your foot on it, and this way the car won't take off on you.

Brake switch works the same way except when you press the brake pedal down the switch activates the rear brake lights and triggers the cruise control if you have it on to turn off and close the throttle plate.

Also peno said he kept the 2 pin sensor on the brake pedal from the 5spd, its always better to keep the sensors that are made for your ecu (4pin on the auto with cruise control), perhaps that is why your cruise control isn't working for ya..I havn't gotten a chance to browse over the schematics for that yet.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Re: Auto -> 5spd conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Parts you need:

7g/2g turbo 5spd transmission
    7g/2g turbo rear 5spd transmission perch
    7bolt Flywheel
    Clutch/Pressure plate
    Clutch master cylinder
    Clucth slave cylinder
    Clutch hydrolic line
    Clutch line
    Shifter assembley
    Shifter cables
    Shifter cable bracket
    4 metal clips to hold the shifter cables to the bracket and to the shifter assembly
    5spd Brake pedal assembly
    5spd Clutch pedal assembly

Thats pretty much the parts list ladies and gents. The place fo the master cylinder is market, just cut the holes out and bolt it up. Everything else just replaces the Auto stuff. You might need to wire up a relay for to be able to start the car, I am not sure. I know 4g64terror did something like that. Anywho here is his pics:
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290548787
    (No you do not have to pull your motor, just drop the tranny stright down and jack the new one up)
    Guys my auto tranny broke yesterday :cry: and i was searching and this post is what i found, i guess this all i will be needing to have the convertion done. My mechanic is going to charge me $175 dollars to have my auto changed to a manny.
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

Re: Auto -> 5spd conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by Joaltava
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Parts you need:

7g/2g turbo 5spd transmission
    7g/2g turbo rear 5spd transmission perch
    7bolt Flywheel
    Clutch/Pressure plate
    Clutch master cylinder
    Clucth slave cylinder
    Clutch hydrolic line
    Clutch line
    Shifter assembley
    Shifter cables
    Shifter cable bracket
    4 metal clips to hold the shifter cables to the bracket and to the shifter assembly
    5spd Brake pedal assembly
    5spd Clutch pedal assembly

Thats pretty much the parts list ladies and gents. The place fo the master cylinder is market, just cut the holes out and bolt it up. Everything else just replaces the Auto stuff. You might need to wire up a relay for to be able to start the car, I am not sure. I know 4g64terror did something like that. Anywho here is his pics:
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290548787
    (No you do not have to pull your motor, just drop the tranny stright down and jack the new one up)
    Guys my auto tranny broke yesterday :cry: and i was searching and this post is what i found, i guess this all i will be needing to have the convertion done. My mechanic is going to charge me $175 dollars to have my auto changed to a manny.
    NOOOOOOOO. people need to stop taking their cars into their mechanics to get these kind of projects done. buy a honda if you're going to do that. i wrote the biggest overly-detailed tutorial for the 5spd swap, and no one is using it :cry:

if something breaks or goes bad or needs to be adjusted, you'll know exactly what to do. now you'll have to wait, call your mechanic, have him butcher some solution for you, and then pay him again for it. and if you do it yourself you can actually learn something

1994 Galant GS 5spd

see the problem is i dont have time to do the project, this is the second time my tranny went, the last time i went ahead with my brother and did the swap, now i dont have time due to my new job, my mechanic is pretty good i dont think he will f*&^ me up i know he will do a good job, i just asked you guys this question so i know what i will need, now is it really hard to do the auto to manny change cause it wasnt that hard for my auto to auto change

read my tutorial!!!!! i wrote it and no one is using it :cry:

parts list, budget, enough detail for a 3 year old to do it

http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Hey peanotation that was an awsome tutorial i just have on question other than the clutch disc, pressure plate, a throwout bearing, and a clutch alignment tool cant i just get everything else from a donor car at the junkyard, or what do you recomend i get new other than the things i stated

Quote Originally Posted by Joaltava
    Hey peanotation that was an awsome tutorial i just have on question other than the clutch disc, pressure plate, a throwout bearing, and a clutch alignment tool cant i just get everything else from a donor car at the junkyard, or what do you recomend i get new other than the things i stated
    it's highly recomended to get a brand new master cyl., slave cyl., clutch fork, fulcrum ball, and that's all i can think of off the top of my head. IMO i really recomend you get a new flywheel, and go with an act streetlite if you can spend the money. the overall quality is a lot higher than the stock one, and it's lighter/stronger too.

things that you dont NEED to get brand new, but should, are shifter base bushings, shifter cable bushings, and the manual tranny starter. i've had bad luck with manual tranny starters (i went through 3 before i got a good one) and the bushings get really worn over time. also, build your own clutch line from the SS teflon line, the mitsu OEM hardline or aftermarket brake line is crap and will go out on you. happens all the time. all other parts you can get from a donor/junk yard card.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

ok i have seen on ebay the ACT streetlite clutch but i dont know what model i should get, they have a ACT Clutch Kit MaXX Xtreme 6 Pad, ACT Clutch Kit Heavy Race 6 Pad, ACT Clutch Kit Heavy Race 4 6 Pad, ACT Clutch Kit Heavy Race, ACT Clutch Kit Xtreme Street, and some other ones, which one did you get for your car. also where can i get a flyweel brand new other than the dealer at a good price.

The master cylingder that i have on my car wont work, i will need a new master cylinder and slave cylinder, where can i get then at a good price, actually where can i get all those parts new at a fairly good price not the price the dealer gives us

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>The master cylingder that i have on my car wont work, i will need a new master cylinder and slave cylinder, where can i get then at a good price, actually where can i get all those parts new at a fairly good price not the price the dealer gives us</div>

READ MY TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!

i tell you where to get a brand new master and slave for the cheapest anywhere. for the flywheel, if you want to get an OEM one, try searching all of the vendors i have under the basic vendor list, shopping.yahoo.com, ebay, froogle.com, and any online store you know to carry engine/tranny parts for cars.

i bought an act 2100 clutch, and thats the strongest you should get on a stock tranny.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

alright thanks :thumbsup: i will look around and see what i find and the price on it.

Hey peanotation i went ahead and spoke with ACT and they informed me that this clutch system LASER STAGE I RACING CLUTCH KIT is the best one i should get for my car. it works for everyday drive and also for racing. Is this the clutch system you have, also they said this "Yet we do not recommend Stage II and III for daily driving since pedal
    pressure is really hard so we do not recommended"

Tell me what u think

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey peanotation i went ahead and spoke with ACT and they informed me that this clutch system LASER STAGE I RACING CLUTCH KIT is the best one i should get for my car. it works for everyday drive and also for racing. Is this the clutch system you have, also they said this "Yet we do not recommend Stage II and III for daily driving since pedal
    pressure is really hard so we do not recommended"

Tell me what u think Â*:D</div>

well, here's the thing. first off, i've never really heard of that clutch, and there's a kinda big thread on dsmtuners discussing different clutch brands and alternatives to ACT.

the best clutch you can get for a mostly stock engine (nothing over 30hp) is the ACT 2100. it's very hard to press and very stiff, but it's well worth it, as it's perfect for daily driving and perfect for some moderate to slight abuse. good for launching sparingly, and it provides a ton of grip. a lot of people have used the 2600 though as well on stock engines. it's a very aggressive clutch, but it mostly dominates the 400hp GSXs that kinda run rampant on the boards there.

i'm kinda drunk, sorry if this isnt' making sense. the bottom line, get the ACT 2100. for our engine, it's perfect for handling the most the engine can make. it's stiff and uncomfortable for the first days, but then you just love it and get used to it's responsiveness.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast